Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun left outside front door

Remy

The smith working on my gun calls to let me know that some requested repair work was finished and that my gun should arrive at my house the following day, overnight FedEx. The next day I hear a knock at the door, so I throw on a shirt, a pair of pants and run and answer and the door. The FedEx truck is driving off and the package with my gun in it is sitting by the door. It looks like the shipping label may have been tampered with where it says “Release Signature.”

Tell me it isn’t a little disturbing a gun was just left at the front door.

You guys will love this...

Rayner's Range, my "home" club (host of the Buckeye Blast and the Ohio Section matches), also has a small gunshop (FFL).

The range is a solid 10 minutes (maybe 15) off the main state road...and the turn off from the state road is a good 5 minutes or better from town.  So, it is a pretty good round trip.  

The FedEx driver has, often, elected to skip the trip.  He runs the packages over to the local school (in town) and leaves them for the Rayner kids to take home.  

Yep...the FFL packages and all!

Flex, now THAT is scary!!!

All, both my wife and I work during the day, so anything sensitive, I always have sent to work. That way, there is at least someone to sign for it (and that person is an FFL, so he 'understands'). After a couple of days of travel, I came back into the office to find a case of VV N340 sitting in my desk chair. Not as bad as a firearm, but with all the explosive labels, etc.....

Sure am glad I work for a 'firearms friendly' Company!!

NOT!!!

I have heard that places like Mailboxes Etc will let you ship stuff to them and they will store it for you and call you to tell you it is there.  For a fee of course.  Anyone ever use this service?

I have had various packages stolen off my porch...well, UPS says they were stolen.....  

My workplace is VERY anti.  They even have handed out anti bumper stickers.  In fact, if I had explosives or firearms shipped to my workplace I would be fired, arrested and god only knows what else.  Especially after the bomb threat this weekend.  

Loves2Shoot,

I hear you... I wasn't here... so I took my chances... I guess I would have prefered that they just stuck it out of the way in a corner of our warehouse, and not for everyone walking by my office to see.

Anyway, no one said anything, so it is 'water over the dam' at this point. Our Chairman is very anti-gun, but he is also semi-retired. Fortunately, while our CEO is not a gun owner, he is pro-gun, pro-CCW, etc.

OK, so after months of waiting, pleading with the manufacturer (remaining nameless) the rifle is shipped.  An expensive, hi-zoot tactical rifle, with scope, drag bag, hard case, bipod, all set to go.  Shipped to "Patrick Sweeney Gunsmithing."

It hasn't arrived by Christmas Eve, so my wife and I go out to a movie.  We get back at 9PM, and go to walk the dog.  As we round the front of the house (we live on a corner) I see a huge white box propped in the door.  I say to my wife "I sure hope that isn't what I think it is."

It is.  So, for hours, a huge white rifle-shaped box is in my front door, with a shipping label from the manufacturer and to me.

I called to mention it, and the manf. says "Yes, FedEx did that with a lot of boxes, they didn't want people to be without on Christmas."

So, I'm wondering, how long would I have waited?  The manf. had promised it for months, and "shipped" it several times already.  If it had been stolen, when would we have figured it out?  And what would FedEx have said?

You guys think you have problems?  Get a load of this:

My house has the same address # as Hewlett Packard, but HP is on 34th St. and I am on 36th.  For the longest time, this was never a problem with UPS and FedEx....until they got new people working in the sorting station, at which time ALL of my packages started going to HP.  I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence, or if I had been blackballed by the Teamsters.

The litany of mis-deliveries:  Two $3000 Laptops, a router, WAP/Printserver, a litany of stuff for training my dog including blank ammunition and the gun-like device that it goes in.  Then there was the time they delivered 6000 bullets to the wrong house.  Fortunately, they picked a buddy's house.  I'm pretty sure delivery to any other neighbor would have ended in the SWAT Team kicking down my front door.  

It took three months worth of phone calls and whining to the delivery drivers to get things right.  I'm still nervous every time I order something though.  Oddly enough, USPS never mis-delivers my mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Please like Mailboxes Etc. will not knowlingly send or receive firearms, powder, ammo, etc.   "Common carrier" designation is what allows UPS, Fedex, Etc. to carry packages with contents they would not otherwise be allowed to posess.  If you give a handgun to Mailboxes Etc. for shipment, you'd better be sure all persons who will handle the package until it reaches a common carrier may legally do so in your state.

Imagine my horror when the FedEx guy showed up at my front door holding my flimsy, plastic $10 WalMart pistol case with a shipping lable attached to it.  The gunsmith put 2 wraps of packing tape around the handle, stuck a shipping lable on it and sent it on it's way.  A $2500 gun, I nearly fainted.