Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting USA on OLN

Boom-Boom

Anyone else catch the S&W IDPA Winter Championship on Jim Scouten's new show on OLN? I have Tivo recording all the episodes.

I especially liked Todd center punching the no-shoot while they were filming his run. Even GM's make mistakes. He still won the match.

I liked it but I wish they would have covered the nats instead but S&W is paying for the sponsorship so I understand.

My dish is set to record the rest of them.

the results posted on the idpa site don't seem to match up to the winners announced on the show...

Did you check the 2003 results? From descriptions of the footage, I'm pretty sure that you saw the 03 match....

ahhh, I just assumed that it was from this year's match. for a new show, they're pretty far behind already....

the results posted on the idpa site don't seem to match up to the winners announced on the show...

Did you check the 2003 results? From descriptions of the footage, I'm pretty sure that you saw the 03 match....

ahhh, I just assumed that it was from this year's match. for a new show, they're pretty far behind already....

Yup, I agree....

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give Jim Scoutten credit on one point: a drastically improved format.

Getting away from the rapid fire series of 6 millisecond sound-bytes and moving to a more in-depth, conversational format is HUGE. Hopefully he'll take an episode or two to do maybe a 20 minute interview with a shooter which is mostly talking and not so much dubbed video clips.

I did see one of the "Masters" break the 180 rule.

There is no 180 Degree Rule in IDPA..................

That's true.

You can also drop your unloaded J-frame during the COF, pick it up and keep going. I think you get a FTDR though.....(ask me how I know) :blink:

But almost every range where IDPA shoots declares their "muzzle safe" directions in terms of the 180, so in practice there is a 180 rule at most matches.

But almost every range where IDPA shoots declares their "muzzle safe" directions in terms of the 180, so in practice there is a 180 rule at most matches.

In IDPA, the muzzle safe direction is a function of the design of that particular stage. I've shot major matches where the muzzle safe area was 270 degrees. USPSA rules do not apply to IDPA. Different sport, period.

Well, clearly you fellows shoot where the facilities can accomodate such practices. We do not share those luxuries. The clubs in Indiana do define their muzzle safe directions in terms of the 180 in the conventional shooting bays we use.

How do you know? ;)

Oops, still here...

I was shooting my first BUG match and had not practiced reloading a revolver, ever. When it came time to reload, I depressed the extractor rod then quickly went for the speed loader. Because that rod-thingy is spring loaded, it stuck with my finger as my hand went to get the speedloader.....

I stripped the gun right out of my strong hand. :unsure:

Don't know if I would frequent any club that allowed shooters to go past 180. :unsure:

I feel the same way, unless they had the kind of range and berm arrangement that allows such activities. I've yet to see a range in person where I believe it was safe to allow a gun to point uprange toward the other shooters, but I suppose they must exist.

Hey,

Did y'all see Max's (or David's) open gun yesterday on Shooting USA! They were covering the All Army Excellence In Competition match, with an aside about the AMU.

Very nice coverage of our Army brothers and sisters.

Rich

Yep, that was pretty cool. I wouldn't have minded a little more on that section of the show, but I can see how that isn't supposed to be the focus. Can't wait for the USPSA factory gun match he is covering in a few weeks.