Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel play with ar

midget

Alright, got my rifle out this morning and was doing an inspection. I grabbed the end of the barrel and the upper receiver and shook them back and forth. There seemed to be a little play. It is a woa barrel, loki receiver and a free float system. Is this normal? It wasn't a lot of movement, just enough to be able to feel it...

I shot an AR for years with a loose barrel nut. The tube and nut rocked back and forth against the gas tube. I shot just as accurately as any other AR I've ever had assembled "right". :unsure:

If you are going to remove the barrel you need to chamber gauge the rifle again to make sure it is correct

Why would you need to chamber gauge the barrel????? the chamber isn't effected by taking the barrel off and on.............

Edited by GorillaTactical

I should be getting the vice jig for the receiver this evening to take the gun back apart. I'm pretty sure the play is between the upper receiver and the barrel as I was holding on to only the upper receiver and the barrel. Hopefully its just a case of a loose barrel nut and will be dead simple to fix, if not, I will probably have to order a new barrel nut....

When you have the upper receiver block and barrel wrench, remove the barrel nut and make sure the threads aren't damaged. When reinstalling the nut, torque down 3 times then go to the next tightest point where the gas tube will pass through perfectly. If you do the nut nice and tight, it can't undo again because the gas tube will stop it unwinding.

As mentioned above, there should be no need to check the headspace... the headspace is not related to the barrel-receiver fit at all.

When you have the upper receiver block and barrel wrench, remove the barrel nut and make sure the threads aren't damaged. When reinstalling the nut, torque down 3 times then go to the next tightest point where the gas tube will pass through perfectly. If you do the nut nice and tight, it can't undo again because the gas tube will stop it unwinding.

As mentioned above, there should be no need to check the headspace... the headspace is not related to the barrel-receiver fit at all.

^^^^^^Best advice on this thread ^^^^^