Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

double stack 22 mag

snowtop

I love 1911 an 2011 pistols and that many manufacturers make 22lr 1911 pistols. But none make a pistol with a double stack mag. I have looked through older post here and other site plus online to find out why they do not produce a double stack pistol that holds more than 10 rds. The most come answer is that you only need a single stack with 10 rds for comp. I also found that keltec has a 22 mag pistol (copy of the Grendel) that hold 30 rds but has problems feeding rounds & is not very accurate.. I would like to know the reason why no one is producing one, seems to me after searching the subject that alot of people would buy one. Is there a problem trying to get the rimfire case to feed in a double stack mag? Larger double stacks can hold 20 rds why not a 30 round 22 lr double stack mag, I would buy one tomorrow. Thanks

Yes, there is the S&W Model 52 SA in .38 Special, the Coonan SA in .357 and a number of GS converted the 1911 to shoot the .38 Special. I had one built by Giles and it was 100%. Granted the 52 and 1911 would only take flush sheated WC but they worked well.

FWIW

Richard

PS: I believe the Wildey was chambered for .45 Colt and I am not sure about the Auto Mag.

Yes, there is the S&W Model 52 SA in .38 Special, the Coonan SA in .357 and a number of GS converted the 1911 to shoot the .38 Special. I had one built by Giles and it was 100%. Granted the 52 and 1911 would only take flush sheated WC but they worked well.

FWIW

Richard

PS: I believe the Wildey was chambered for .45 Colt and I am not sure about the Auto Mag.

^ what he said. Yeah! Coonan!

FWIW

Richard

^ what he said. Yeah! Coonan!

JJ was referring to doublestacks ....at the end of his sentence he even mentions the singlestacks you are referrring to. The singlestack guns are nearly useless due to the depth of the grip required to stack the rounds mentioned and are definitely a huge ergonomic compromise.

Did some more research on the Keltec, seems like the reviews I read about feeding problems must have been the ammo. Went to youtube wow didnt see any problems there. No problem with double stack WMR rim

Even with some curve, The 22lr isnt very long, I dont see why you couldnt make a fairly high capacity curved magazine that fits inside a STI tube, lots of 20 plus round ruger mags.

I think the lack of 20 round 22 pistol is all about timing and the market.

The Hicap mags issue was all about 9mm, then 40's. I imagine 22 auto sales were few and far between. People started kids with rifles, and that was the percieved market for 22's. Handguns came in centerfire. Probably just wasnt the demand for 22 pistols at all. Just look at how many are out there , not many.

Then the CCW laws started changing and still to this day the hot items are concealed carry guns. Thats what is selling and that's where R&D money is going.

By the time the technology started filtering down we had a mag ban, It is only just recently with the huge increase in ammo costs, that I imagine more demand for .22's. If things continue and Ruger and Browning sales stay high I imagine others will jump on the bandwagon. We are already seeing new .22's show up on the market. Its only a matter of time before someone designs a better mousetrap to try to carve out a larger market share. It's all about supply and demand.

Elite Operator hit the nail on the head. I have a ruger MKII never really look for a hi-capacity mag Just know it was'nt out there. But in recent yrs like you said ammo has gone up and more an more 22lr pistols are made to full size comp pistols (M&P,Glock,1911 etc.). I understand they are for practice, pistols with the same feel of the comp pistol but with lower cost ammo. This is why I asked the mag question because the market is there, conversion kits are and have been out, full feel dedicated 22lr pistol, converision kits for Ar's & dedicated 22lr Ar's. Even the Keltec has a 6 mth waiting list to purchase. But no manufacturer has the time in on the mag research. If you look at all the smaller size concealed pistol most are also lower cal pistols. Pump 15 to 20 shots into someone with a 22lr thats the size of your hand there is no weight or recoil sound good. Look at early concealed pistol 22 short, 22lr, 25, 32 cals we have come a long way but now everyone is thinking knock down now. Dont get me wrong knock down is good but for some female shooter no wieght or recoil is better with 15 to 20 shots. Plus hit some with a 22lr it will bounce off everybone it hits while it rips you apart on the inside.

I love 1911 an 2011 pistols and that many manufacturers make 22lr 1911 pistols. But none make a pistol with a double stack mag. I have looked through older post here and other site plus online to find out why they do not produce a double stack pistol that holds more than 10 rds. The most come answer is that you only need a single stack with 10 rds for comp. I also found that keltec has a 22 mag pistol (copy of the Grendel) that hold 30 rds but has problems feeding rounds & is not very accurate.. I would like to know the reason why no one is producing one, seems to me after searching the subject that alot of people would buy one. Is there a problem trying to get the rimfire case to feed in a double stack mag? Larger double stacks can hold 20 rds why not a 30 round 22 lr double stack mag, I would buy one tomorrow. Thanks

I have a Tactical Solutions upper on my 2011 and the mag holds 14 + 1 in the tube the mag looks like a double stack

post-16211-0-02487900-1318707487_thumb.j

Thanks for the information on the tactical solution conversion kit. I don't have a 2011 yet been looking for a used 2011 in 40 cal eagle or edge but always seem to be late and someone else gets it. Saving now for a new one and the conversion kit might be the best way to go. The money tree in the backyard died with the economy.

I have the Tactical Solution STI mags. What baffles me is why wouldn't they just have made them as a 140mm mag. The conversions were clearly made and marketed towards us. Even the Ciener single stack mag hold 15. If they were the right length, they would hold about 19 and could be used with all the different magwells.