Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimal die configuration for 9mm on 550B

I fell into a sweet deal on a 550B over the weekend, and am anxious to get it set up to reload 9mm rounds. I have been trying to read about dies, and have determined that many people don't just use the Dillon brand dies. In fact, many folks use a different die from two or three manufacturers. So, my question to you is, is there a "best" configuration for the 550B in 9mm? I just want to spend my money wisely.

Thank you for any input.

I use an EGW undersized die in station one. Some brass has thinner case walls than others and the bullets were not holding tight with the Dillon sizer die. I was getting bullet setback so I went with the U-die.

I tried the Redding Competition seater die and found it to be less consistent in oal than the Dillon so I stuck with the Dillon.

Crimp die is also a Dillon. Some swear by the Lee FCD but with the Udie in station one I have no issues with bullet setback or proper chambering on my ammo.

So for me the perfect 9mm set up is Udie and everything else Dillon.

I recently got my RL550B (thanks Brian)...and I got the Dillon 9mm dies with it. I also given a brand new set of .40/10mm Dillon dies. Having said that I use Lee on everything else. Everyone has an opinion about the dies they like. For me, the Lee's work just as good as the Dillon. I will give their FCD (Factory Crimp Die) a slight edge. The biggest thing is the Lee's work well and are MUCH less than the Dillon ones. Go price a set of .357 Sig or carbide .223 dies...The Lee's are usually a third of everyone else in these calibers...don't know why. I HIGHLY reccomend that if you are using 3rd party dies...replace the locking rings with Dillon ones. They are MUCH thinner and easier to get at.

:cheers:

As always..YMMV!!

Undirpsi...