Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon's Reputation and No BS Warranty

This past weekend I traveled to meet my son for a USPSA match and while there ran into a gentleman selling all of his inventory and supplies from a business he had recently shut down. There in the back of his truck was a Dillon 550 and 650. My son has a 650 and knew I was looking at buying a SDB and he says to me you want to buy the 650 to which I replied, "How much should we offer?" He says $100.00 and I said OK. The guy took our offer so we got a 650 with all the accessories and a Dillon case feeder. It looked pretty poor but because of what Dillon does for its customers we knew it was a great deal. So the Dillon is already in transit to AZ and when it returns my son gets the case feeder and I get a new 650. I know there will be some incidentals that will have to be purchased but still I am way ahead of the cost. I am proud to say that I will be joining the Blue Team, Thanks Dillon :cheers:

I was standing there..... thinking of offering xxx..... and WHAM :surprise: ..... he stole it right out from under me. :devil:

Lessons to be learned here:

1) Don't hesitate

2) Make an offer.... you never know!!!

Honestly, congrats on that! :cheers:

Edited by MrClean

This past weekend I traveled to meet my son for a USPSA match and while there ran into a gentleman selling all of his inventory and supplies from a business he had recently shut down. There in the back of his truck was a Dillon 550 and 650. My son has a 650 and knew I was looking at buying a SDB and he says to me you want to buy the 650 to which I replied, "How much should we offer?" He says $100.00 and I said OK. The guy took our offer so we got a 650 with all the accessories and a Dillon case feeder. It looked pretty poor but because of what Dillon does for its customers we knew it was a great deal. So the Dillon is already in transit to AZ and when it returns my son gets the case feeder and I get a new 650. I know there will be some incidentals that will have to be purchased but still I am way ahead of the cost. I am proud to say that I will be joining the Blue Team, Thanks Dillon :cheers:

DAMN! :surprise:

Did you at least kiss him?:D

I would have needed a cigarette after getting that kind of deal.

Pat

Nope not under water that I know of - suprisingly it came apart very easily. The rust is just the humidity in Mississippi - itll do that to anything....hell I think it can cause plastic to rust. Dillon said 3 weeks - they got it last Thursday - the countdown is on!!!

I am right there with you..

My machine is working flawlessly 2k rounds later and their customer support is up there with the "Are you kidding me!) in a good way because their support is so darned good!

Cheers,

Shawn

Two weeks after Dillon received the 650 and it is on it's way back. Got my bench in and getting it put together so we can mount the 650 and get the necessities to have it up and running. One down side, deer season opens next Saturday (10/29) so it may be awhile before I am actually reloading. :(

How do they make any money? The markup on everything must be huge.

They have a solid and loyal customer base are a pleasure to deal with and have a no BS guarantee. What more could you ask for? I like many others am a customer for life.

Man, this is like being 15 years old and knowing your getting an electric guitar for Christmas but you can't touch it. You see this is MY 650 that my son and I were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. I WANT MY DILLON :cheers:

Edited by Aggieddad02

How do they make any money? The markup on everything must be huge.

It is - but that is not necessarily a bad thing :) Dillon has captured the retail margin and uses it to make money AND provide excellent customer service. Other presses leave the factory at SUBSTANTIAL discount below retail (under the door price of less than 50% of suggested retail). Even if you are fortunate to be a Dillon stocking dealer, you'll only get 10 to 15 margin points - which is why few gun shops carry them.

I don't mind high markup, as long as the company earns the markup with high quality , rapid availability of spare parts and excellent service. Dillon delivers on all of these, which is why forum discussions tend to center on Dillon quality and service rather than price. I don't even remember the pain of paying for my 1050, but I am reminded what a great press it is every week.

Compare the Lee Loadmaster with a street price of $217 vs. a Dillon 550 with a price of $429. The Lee is similar complexity, half the price, and is sold by vendors who will generally require about 30 margin points to carry product (and often more), meaning $150 tops "out the door" price for Lee. Even when Lee does the "rebuild for 50% of the current new price", the firm is getting more than they get for inserting a new press into the distribution channels.