Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maizes Range Diary

Maize

Finally made D class. Took a little while because club matches are 200 miles away and I could only make one every other month and the "eye of the tiger" got the best of me once. My last couple of matches I had no misses on steel or paper, so yesterday I started working on my speed for the first time. Got my draws and a "A" hit under two seconds and my draw-hit-reload-hit under 5 seconds. Hopefully I will be able to post some improvements in some match standings in a few months. I'm hoping to be C class before I'm 13 .

No worries, I am still waiting in my classification and I started shooting in April. Due to the USPSA website being down I missed out on 2 classifiers being submitted.

I'll probably be getting my D card soon. ha. Maybe C if I did well at the classifier match.

If it's any consolation I hope I get C before I am 35!

I practised my first Bill Drills today.My best times were about 5 seconds and my splits were right about .65 I noticed that the gun was pushing me back on my heels.All my shots were slightly to the left.I really like my new Bladetech DOH holster. I've enclosed a couple of videos-any tips for improvement are welcome.

Maize,

You are doing great! I watched the vids & the draw is much improved. Let's try something to add to our previous drill, ok? As you bring the gun up, keep it in closer to you for a little bit longer--until the gun is higher. You have gotten rid of the big "swing" you had but let's keep that gun in real close until it is level, on target. Then as you push out, you will be getting your sight picture. At full extension, you should be on target & able to break that shot right then. Without the big swinging arc like you were doing, your first shot is much faster but if you click through the video a couple of frames at a time, you are still having to wait for the gun to settle before breaking that shot, I believe it is because of the small arc the gun makes about halfway up as you draw. If you can keep it in close through the full draw, then on extension, you'll be ready to fire. Remember to give it a few reps before you decide if you like it or not.

As another idea to try, see if you can turn your elbows out a little further to see what happens to you & the gun. If it is still rocking you back, never mind but if you are able to stay on a little longer, you might find an improvement & that might buy you a little more stability. This does not work with everyone but it sort of depends on your build. Most folks that the elbows out helps will eventually bring them back into a little more conventional position but it seems to help build a certain muscle set giving the shooter the ability to control the recoil better & get pushed around less.

If you want you can work on your stance a little bit. Bring that right foot back (about half the length of your foot) from your left foot, keeping them as wide as your shoulders.

Where are you looking when the buzzer sounds? Young eyes seem to focus better than my old ones but most folks are looking at the A zone, in specific the A itself if you can see it. Buzz, focus starts drawing back to your sights as they come up into view, back to target, back to sights as gun finishes outward movement--at this point seeing both target(target is the A zone, not the big cardboard thing holding up the A zone, hahaha) & the sights with the front sight clear, target slightly fuzzy, break the shot.

See what you think about those ideas!

By the way, I expect you will make C or at least be shooting at a C level before you turn 11 or very soon after! I have no doubts that your ability will continue to grow & improve as long as you stay interested. You guys still planning on coming down in November to spend the day at the range? We need to find the day, I'll email your dad & see if we can get this on schedule.

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

Maize,

I went & watched the video a couple more times. One other thing you are doing is as you draw, you are crouching over a bit, then standing up straight to finish the draw. I know the gun is almost taller than you but if you can break that habit, it would sure help a bit. I'm still amazed at how much this new draw pattern has smoothed you up. Smooth is fast.

If you are looking at a target from one position, then crouching looking at the target, then standing back up straight, looking at it, that gives you three different vision pictures meaning your eyes have to work harder to keep focus, your head has to move to keep the A where it should be, which means less smooth, & slower. Your eyes looking from 3 different spots will be drawing your head, which all takes time & energy.

See you guys soon!

Mark

You go Maize! I have no doubt that you will be cruising into C class within a year. Don't worry too much about your draw time or splits. Keep your accuracy up, that's the most important thing. As for your stance, like Mark said, make that stance wider and bend your knees. The more aggressive your stance is, the more you will be able to control the recoil.

Hope to shoot with you next shooting season!

Diana

Let me know if you guys do make it down for a day in November. I'd love to bring my daughter out. She has been asking about shooting and seeing another 10 year old shoot would be great for her. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at some videos and noticed that I did not run very fast and when I reloaded on the move I slowed down to a walk. It was suggested that if I reloaded before I ran or on the first step I would save time. So that is what I praticed today. I tried to shoot the second target on the last couple of steps but that didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Maize

I didn't shoot today but I did sit down with Dad and watch some of my shooting videos and write down all my mistakes.We noticed when I reload My eyes go from the gun down to my mag holder and back to my gun. I think I should be able to find my mag without looking. I also reach up and touch my mag with my weak hand before it drops from the gun.Im not sure if I think it needs help or it's a idpa habit. Going to work on these things next week. Oh I forgot I got my picture in Front Sight. B)

I didn't shoot today but I did sit down with Dad and watch some of my shooting videos and write down all my mistakes.We noticed when I reload My eyes go from the gun down to my mag holder and back to my gun. I think I should be able to find my mag without looking. I also reach up and touch my mag with my weak hand before it drops from the gun.Im not sure if I think it needs help or it's a idpa habit. Going to work on these things next week. Oh I forgot I got my picture in Front Sight. B)

Grabbing the mag might be because either as you say it's ingrained from IDPA, or could be because you are unsure it will fall, either way try some dry fire reloads but start by doing a simple motion. When you drop the mag drive your support hand to the mag. Thats it. Just drop the mag and drive the support hand to the mag. Repeat this a few times until you get used to it, then do some complete reloads. If you see you are doing something wrong, don't be afraid to break it down into smaller parts, isolate the issue, and then go back to the complete drill. You can do this with draws too, just do a few runns where you drive your hand to the gun and get a perfect grip, repeat until you get a perfect grip every time and then do some complete draws again.

A rule of thumb for me is that any draws or reloads from the body should be done without looking to the gun or mags, any off body draws or reloads (tables etc.) should be done by always looking at the gun/mags. The only place you should be looking on relaods from the body is from the target to the magwell opening and back to target.

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday I had a good friend and B.E. member spend his day off from work helping me get better. We worked on keeping my left hand even with my right while drawing so I wouldn't be off balanced.We worked on prepping the trigger and getting good sight picture and hits before my arm were full extended on the close targets. Spent some time finding my average draw time and then extending the distance to the target to 25 feet and then getting good hit's in almost the sane draw time. This was my first time getting extensive instruction and really had a good day,thanks Mark.

Edited by Maize

Thank you Maize! I had a great time, too. Hopefully the things we worked on will have value to you as you progress. Besides, we have motivated your Dad to be more interested in shooting as well. He was looking a little burned out at first. Then after you helped him some, he was on fire!

I believe you were very motivational to the rest of the group. Those teenage boys were serious about getting better after seeing you go, hahaha.

It was a good day(especially including lunch)!!!!! You are a good student.

Maize kudos to you ......You show a lot of courage videoing yourself and opening the door to criticism.....thats something that those older than you are afraid to do.

IMHO you're doing great. I noticed a distinct improvement between the first and second Bill Drill videos. Your draw was noticeably smoother.

Smooth is fast...someone else here already said that but it bears repeating.

Try to be smooth while under the clock...at first it will feel like everything you do is taking too long but afterward you'll be surprised how remaining calm and focusing on being smooth will improve your times.

Theres a saying in sniper shooting and its that :"You're either loading or you're shooting" and it kind of applies here too.

WHen you're reloading focus on THAT and keeping the weapon pointed in a safe direction and let your feet do what comes naturally.

If you need to stop to coordinate a reload thats fine...better to be safe than to trip and fall and maybe get injured.

If you spend time at home practicing reloads you'll get fast at it.

Don't be concerned about time right now.......You'll get fast as time goes on.

Be concerned about safety, smoothness, and accuracy.

AND after you get better I want you to come up here to NY and shoot in some matches because I'll make a lot of $ betting on you to win!

JK

• 2 months later...

I went to Levelland Texas this weekend and shot a match. I only had one bad stage it was the one where I was the first shooter. But I moved faster than ever in the stages. I was able to beat some of the guys on every stage but in the finals I'm still close to the bottom. I was hoping for at least one C class stage but they were all D's. I need to work on a few things. When I reload I smack my mag twice making sure it's seated and wasting some time. I also had an extra reload because I thought my mags were topped off but they weren't. I hope to make next months match also, if not, this was my last one as a 10 year old.