Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swapping Parts during a Match

diehli

I was wondering if there was a rule against swapping parts in a match. Specifically, I'm wondering about mag releases and/or buttons.

Reason I'm asking is I like to have a mag release for table starts (a standard one that doesn't get in the way) and another for most other shooting (a custom-made extended dealy). Along the same line of thought, would it be permissible to have a mag button installed for most stages of a match and remove it for table starts?

TIA! :)

Gorilla,

No way, Jose:

5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a handgun during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6.

10.6.1 Competitors will be disqualified from a match for conduct which a Range Officer deems to be unsportsmanlike. Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include, but are not limited to, cheating, dishonesty, failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official, or any behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute. The Range Master must be notified as soon as possible.

IPSC Rifle is different, as understand it the rational was: :wub:

A pistol is a "defensive" weapon, which is used on demand. Therefore no significant changes during a match. :ph34r::lol:;)

A rifle is an "offensive" weapon where the use is towards "planned operations". Therefore you can change around with bipods etc. (except liited). Not however with sights. :ph34r::lol:;) Of course the stage description has influence on all of this.

DVC, John

That rationale actually makes sense... and people question our martial origins. ;)

Vince, I hear those Austrians can be a bit surly... and "touchy-feelly," too (well, at least the Governor of the great state of CA is allegedly so). Watch your backside and your frontside around that thing. :o

i gotta ask, cause' this has bothered me for some time..... i reference to not changing sights on rifles. pretty much as i see it, if you wanna run in the rifle thing, you gotta have some type of @1-4 power variable scope. there are lots out there, so i won't name names. i've been using an ak, which has a great scope mounting rail on the reciever, that accepts any number of russian(eastern) sight devices at just the throw of a lever. i can't see the difference i me switching between a scope and red dot between stages, and a guy with a variable power scope just dialing it up for the long shots. it's resulting in the same thing, him being able to see the 200yd.+ targets when he needs to(that i can't with my old, color blind eyes), and still having the no magnification, close, fast sight picture. since Mr. Pinto is the rule call cheese, what's the official position(no aussie jokes please!)......... :unsure:

Bigsaxdog,

Hmmm. Is that "Bigs Ax Dog" (wood-chopping canine) or "Big Sax Dog" (cool Grover Washington type dude)? B)

Anyway, the fundamental concept of IPSC equipment rules is that you must use the same gun configuration throughout a single match. Of course we have rules to deal with breakages, but the rules don't allow a mix 'n' match approach. The martial origins of our sport dictate that you have a gun set-up a certain way, and you must use that in all encounters (stages).

Can you imagine what would happen if we were allowed to modify (or change) our guns during a match. We'd have guys dragging portable armouries behind them from stage to stage.

And Aussie jokes? Hey, we have hundreds of them - they all work in Parliament House, Canberra :(

more like "cool John Coltrane" dude....maybe Getz......... Grover started "lite jazz", i'm into "dark jazz".....anyway..... i know the point about switching gear, just seems pretty dorky showin' up w/ the JP setup with multiple sights on the gun, especially when some guns are designed to switch sights easily(cheaply!). you from OZ or Hong Kong? used to go to hong kong a bunch when i was in the U.S. "Canoe Club" back in the day. never got to OZ, really wanted to. got "ruddy bleedin' pissed" with a few ozzies, though.........

Jon,

I hear you, but I've seen huge mag release buttons used by some competitors, which are great for most COFs, but they can loosen or release a magazine when the gun is laid down for a table start.

There are other guys who want to use a regular slide racking lever for most COFs, but they want to install extra long ones to raise the gun off a table so they can get a better grip. On the other hand, some guys have the extra long slide racking levers on most of the time, but they want to remove them for a COF with barricades, because the lever can strike the barricade and cause jams.

In other words, your gun is supposed to perform "as is" in all COFs. Changing bits to get a competitive advantage from stage-to-stage gets you a good spanking.

Hmmm. Is that "Bigs Ax Dog" (wood-chopping canine) or "Big Sax Dog" (cool Grover Washington type dude)? B)

LOL!! :lol::lol::lol:

I would not think pulling a mag button off would be significant to where a complete top in change I could see that being significant.

Jon, you really didn't think you were going to be able to pull that off, did you? :P

but they want to remove them for a COF with barricades, because the lever can strike the barricade and cause jams.

You can't do that either? Oh man.

Brian, You never know till you try. ;)

But really this could change RM to RM with the significantly part in there.

Personally I'm all in favor of allowing people to change their guns as much as they like --- I noticed early on that the tinkerers' and parts changers' guns were choking on virtually every stage. I figure with this new policy in place, I could up five or ten percentage points.... :lol::lol:

• 9 months later...