Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help me build my very 1st Limited/Standard pistol

Xander

I want to build from scratch starting with a STI frame and grips, everythiing else are "uncharted" for me (coming from Glock G17 in Production) so pls forgive my ignorance. All I want is something with an average 2.5lbs trigger pull and accuracy at it's best, TIA :)

Edited by Xander

Are you planning on having one set of magazines for shooting in USPSA Limited, and then another set of magazines for shooting in IPSC Standard? Or do you plan on having just one set of magazines... presumably the set that fit in the IPSC box?

Edited by Skydiver

Are you planning on having one set of magazines for shooting in USPSA Limited, and then another set of magazines for shooting in IPSC Standard? Or do you plan on having just one set of magazines... presumably the set that fit in the IPSC box?

I prefer the latter part, thanks.

When you say help you build, do you mean YOU are going to do the work or have someone build it?

What I would do...contact Shay at AKAI Customs and he will take care of you!

If you are going to build it yourself...Schuemann barrel, EGW innards, SVI safeties, etc

When you say help you build, do you mean YOU are going to do the work or have someone build it?

What I would do...contact Shay at AKAI Customs and he will take care of you!

If you are going to build it yourself...Schuemann barrel, EGW innards, SVI safeties, etc

I want to get the parts for myself and have it build.

I want to get the parts for myself and have it build.

Talk to the guy who will build the gun. He will prefer to work with certain parts. Go with parts he is happy with, or think about if you will be happy with the result.

Other questions that should help the OP (and us who are toying with the idea of a 2011) figure what they (we) want/need:

Adjustable or fixed sights?

Is the Dawson Ice Magwell the de facto standard for magwells for STI guns, or are there other options to consider wants more (or less) weight on the frame?

Is a tungsten guide rod a must to help with recoil management?

Is a long dust cover the way to go, or a shorter one?

Is slide lightening a must, or is it just a the fashion currently?

What trigger size?

Is an extended mag release a must?

Adjustable or fixed sights? For a Limited gun I would go Adjustable so you can tailor for different loads

Is the Dawson Ice Magwell the de facto standard for magwells for STI guns, or are there other options to consider wants more (or less) weight on the frame? The ICE is nice. If you want more weight they make a heavy version. Some people with big hands prefer the Cape magwell, or similar.

Is a tungsten guide rod a must to help with recoil management? NO. Not a must. Personal preference.

Is a long dust cover the way to go, or a shorter one? Depends on if you like fast pointing light guns that whip, or slower pointing heavy guns that soften recoil. Personal preference. I like standard dust covers and light guns.

Is slide lightening a must, or is it just a the fashion currently? It helps if you are making a fast cycling gun, but its over rated and most do it for looks, imo.

What trigger size? How long is your finger?

Is an extended mag release a must? No.

Is the Dawson Ice Magwell the de facto standard for magwells for STI guns, or are there other options to consider wants more (or less) weight on the frame?

The Dawson ICE is too big to fit in the IPSC box, as far as I know.

If you want a good trigger most of the good smiths will be able to make a 2.5lb trigger.

Accuracy is about barrel fit. Any of the top barrel makers will be accurate if fit to the gun correctly.

A

I know you said you want to pick the parts and have the gun built, but there is so many different

parts and being new to the S_I line. If it were me I would get the High Performance Edge from

Brazos and shoot it for a while. Then after shooting it you can better understand what you like and dislike.

a lot depends on your budget. a lot of builders like to use certain parts, but you'll see the same names come up time and again; Schuemann barrels, EGW guts, Ed Brown or SV safeties, ISMI or Wolff springs, etc. Adjustable rear sights are a must to fine tune your load. Most of use use fiberoptic front sights also.

if you take a look at the Limited guns from Cameron's their guns come standard with quality parts like Schuemann barrels, Extreme or EGW ignition parts, Ed Brown/Wilson Combat, etc. really like the Cameron's BAM magwell; feels real comfortable in the hand. a heavier gun is great to start with as it helps tame the recoil from major .40 loads, but alot of guys move to lighter guns after a while. went in that direction myself.

Cant go wrong with the Brazos HP Edge as it will run 100%. If you can afford it the std. Cameron's limited gun deserves a look just cause of the quality parts in the gun, not to mention a relatively fast 90 day order turnaround. If there are certain parts you want put in they'll work with you on that.