Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap alternative for tungsten guide rod for 5.25

KentG

I know that premade tungsen GRs are kind of pricy and I found a way to save a couple bucks.

I bought a set of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Pinecar-Tungsten-Incremental-Weights-Cylinder/dp/B002S1RT9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317355949&sr=1-1

I only used the large ones and actually had to take them to work and turn the OD down a bit to fit in the guide rod. Found out I needed another set to make the full length and they are on order. When I get the set and turn the other 2 or 3 I will need and trim the OAL to fit. Use some JB weld to hold them in or maybe some solder. Havent decieded for sure. But at about 1/3 the cost.

Or buy the premade one. It looks nice but thats $ for other accesories I need.

Edited by tnek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I filled the guide rod of my XD tactical with pipe solder. Very easy to do and weighs the same as the tungsten one. Rough up the inside with some sand paper and degrease with alcohol or acetone for good binding. I have shot it a lot with no problems.

I filled the guide rod of my XD tactical with pipe solder. Very easy to do and weighs the same as the tungsten one. Rough up the inside with some sand paper and degrease with alcohol or acetone for good binding. I have shot it a lot with no problems.

I doubt it weighs the same as a solid tungsten rod.

Rich

I doubt it weighs the same as a solid tungsten rod.

Rich

agree, you can feel a tungsten guide rod, it definately has some weight.

I have a solid stainless steel guide rod that weighs 1.9 ounces. I have a stock guide rod that was cast full of molten lead that weighs 2.3 ounces I believe, I ended up having to cast 2 of them because I had a void in the first one which weighed 2.2. The tungsten guide rods weigh 3.1 and 4.1 ounces so thats still a huge difference.

The OP didn't indicate which Division he was shooting in. If it's Production, this whole conversation is moot. Almost any amount of tungsten (or a lot of lead or steel) would put him over the "plus two ounces" rule.

I shoot open in 3gun

The 5/16" tungsten rod will make weight as long as nothing else has been added on. The 5.25 9mm comes up with .2oz under the weight limit.

Rich

.2 ounces, as in "a little less than a quarter-ounce"? That is ballsy!

At the USPSA Production Nat'ls, my G-34 weighed 27.8 ounces (0.2 oz. under max). Sounds great, right.

Problem is that this same gun had been weighed before I left on three different scales, including an Ohaus scientific scale that is traceable to NIST. It weighed 27.1 on all three, indicating a 0.7 ounce discrepancy. I lucked out on that one.

Edited by Braxton1

• 8 months later...