Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification disappointment

dskinsler83

I could make master easily (which im avoiding).

paper classifications are useless and meaningless.

Am I missing something here or are you not making sense?

Lol it does make sence :)

Paper classifications are meaningless..

Shooting a level 3 winning your class and getting bumped is much different ;)

The problem with putting so much in the classifier stages, is that when you move up, you feel you have to live up to the new class which is a distraction from shooting..

When you get bumped up by by shooting better than your class at a major match you don't have to live up to the new class becuse you are already there.

Does that make better sence?

Cheers,

Los

With classifiers it seems like you have to have your fundamentals down pat like draws, reloads, turns, etc in addition to the actual shooting. Mike's book has some great dry fire and live fire drills. If you follow the program you'll make B in no time and be knocking on the door of A before you know it.

The problem with putting so much in the classifier stages, is that when you move up, you feel you have to live up to the new class which is a distraction from shooting..

When you get bumped up by by shooting better than your class at a major match you don't have to live up to the new class becuse you are already there.

Cheers,

Los

Hey you know this actually makes sense and has actually given me a better feeling about this deal all together 8). Thanks guys

Cheers,

Los

That does make sense, yes. Still, I prefer to treat classifiers like any other stage, and try not to influence my performance on them one way or another beyond what I'd do on any other stage.

They really are good practice, and I enjoy tracking my progress this way. People say they don't test the range of skills of a real GM, but for them to it would be an impossible feat of logistics and that's why bigger matches are also counted as classifiers.

What am I trying to say? Well, I think you should just do your best on classifiers. Don't try to shoot above or below your skill level. Not only will you get better and more consistent performance this way, but it will serve to be an effective progress tracking system. Your classification doesn't really mean much anyway. I saw a few A class guys winning stages at Nats :D

Classifiation? It took me 6 years to figure out that there are none. Just shoot.

I think the winners are not so much concerned with CLASS as they are with doing what is necessary to win.

Yes, some of us REALLY want the next class or that GM card and set about to accomplish just that. I recently read a Steve Anderson comment that basically said, getting the GM card is a lot easier than competing with GM's. How true!!

Set your goals to win. Do what's needed in practice to win. Ignore the cards in the mail when they come.

This is some interesting stuff. My feeling is that when you reach a new class by shooting classifiers you are demonstrating that your skills are advancing. Applying those skills at a match is still up to you, on that day, whether you are a D or GM level shooter.

Proving you have the skills and fundamentals to move up in a classifier should help you achieve that next level in your shooting by making you work to compete at that level.

What sucks is being a b,a,m,or gm by classification and getting your but kicked on a regular basis in matches by a c class shooter.

I'm an A class shooter and I routinely get beaten by a B class guy here. Doesn't make me feel bad at all, he is much more patient than I am.