Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Input needed on 2011

PSSOH22

Hey guys,

I am wanting to get some people's opinions on the STI Eagle. I am thinking about getting a bushing barreled Eagle in .40. Currently I shoot IDPA and USPSA when i feel like driving. There is not much locally, but tons of IDPA. I like shooting them both, but I know as i get more serious i will need to settle in and choose one. I do not plan on staying where i am at currently and a lot of the states i am looking at moving to are full of USPSA.

Anyway, enough ranting. Im wondering if i get the Eagle, would it really make that much of a difference shooting it in limited? Im thinking it would pretty much be the ultimate ESP gun, but not having that much money I dont have enough to get an Eagle and a Edge for Limited. I will probably go with a dedicated setup for limited when funds arrive, but do you think i could remain competitive as long as my abilities are there with the Eagle?

The Eagle should be easily as competitive as the Edge. While many, particularly newer shooters, prefer the weight of the bull barrel, either can run well in the right hands. It sounds like the Eagle will work well for your present and future needs. Once you come over full time to USPSA, you shouldn't have much trouble selling the Eagle if you decide you'd prefer the extra weight. Plus, at that point, you may want to consider a full custom build.

The two guns are basically the same price. If you get the eagle, just shoot in single stack, if you get the edge then shoot limited in USPSA.

If it is an STI, complain once when you buy it and never look back....I finally did a ground up build on an STI. And yes, the price hurt, but it is one of the best guns I have ever shot.

Good Luck.

+1 recommendation for the Eagle. I have the bull barrel version and love it. Once it got an Aftec extractor, never had an issue. You can't shoot it in single stack (post above), but it's a killer Limited division gun. The bushing won't make much difference. I made Master class with it and still can't shoot nearly as accurate as the gun. Also, I prefer short dust cover guns. They look cooler and are a little lighter and faster to transition. The 2011 will be so much heavier than what you're used to that it won't seem to have any recoil. Also, ditch the recoilmaster if it comes with one. Get a solid (steel or tungsten) guide rod and no shock buffs and you'll get much more consistent feel out of the gun. I got mine on GunBroker for like $1,400 with one mag. The mags can eat up your budget, so just start with 5 140mm standard and add the Dawson +1 Plus SNL basepad and the internals as funds allow. I prefer the bolen internals, but am closely looking at the new SVI aluminum follower, too.

Thanks guys!!

Im pretty sure Im set on the Eagle. I would love to do a full build at some point. I checked into SV, but I dont think that is something i will be able to afford right now.

As far as custom vs. STI, I have some production 1911's and i have a CQB and NH Predator. Is it pretty much the same stuff with full custom build 2011's?

The one thing i never understood on the 2011's was the price. There using a polymer frame, inferior finishes, still need to tune mags and the guns are so expensive!!! That has always been what turned me off about them! I am also work for a retail store and can get the gun significantly cheaper, but even at that, prices are not far off ed brown and les baer pricing!! Any rhyme or reason on this?

A year ago I was pretty much looking for the same thing the OP is, and bought a used Eagle in .40 for use as my Limited/L-10/3-gun pistol. Prior to getting it I played with some Eagles and Edges that friends had, and coming from a 1911 in SSTK I felt the most comfortable with the way the Eagle handled so no regrets on getting the short dust cover. Plus I wanted to be able to shoot it in IDPA and that pretty much ruled out the Edge or a bull barreled Eagle. I always figured that if I wanted more weight on the end I could install a tungsten guide rod, but I haven't felt the need for that yet. Since getting it I've been having a ball of fun shooting it in Limited and L-10, and near as I can tell my scores or match placements haven't suffered.

Incidentally, I bought it here (on BEnos). Seems like Eagles pop up every now and then.

Nice to hear from you Randy!! I used to shoot indoor with you when i was living in ATL. Your boy outshooting you yet?

Yeah, man. We've missed you on Tuesdays. I heard that you ran into Ken in Pennsylvania. I went up and shot the Western PA Sectional USPSA match. Lots of fun. My boy is shooting a bunch and loving it. He is using either a STI Trojan or Springfield EMP in Single Stack division and then a 22 Open Buckmark in steel challenge. The EMP is cool to watch as it is tiny, but very manageable for him. Let me know when you're back around.

if you want to shoot IDPA and USPSA you have to go with the eagle and the bushing barrel. The long dust-cover and the bull barrel make it illegal for all IDPA divisions. At least the last time i have checked.

I had a "eagle" built for me and i am now thinking of adding a tungston guide-rod but they are expensive.

IMO try and find a used one at a really good price to learn what you like and dislike and then have one built for you.

I say this b/c i built one not really knowing much about limited division and now i am replacing parts for ones that should make the gun a little better. Either way you go, get an ICE magwell or something big and have a trigger job done on it if it doesn't have one already.

If you do buy a new gun try Brazos Customs, they have some pretty good deals on new guns and you can have them do a trigger job before you have one.

go with the bushing eagle, with a nice trigger you will be happy. for USPSA you can add a tungsten guide, steel mainspring housing, brass magwell for a bunch of weight if you want but once you get use to its recoil pulse you will be fine in both disciplines as is.

you will need either a older SVI magwell or a trimmed down STI for it to fit in the IDPA box.

I'll be the lone dissenter. I shoot an STI Eagle with a bull barrel, and I definitely wouldn't want a limited gun that light if I were new to shooting limited.

I've seen master class shooters with full length dust covers and bull barrels. The muzzle weight won't slow you down that much in transition, but it definitely feels a lot sharper without it.

Bobby, you can try my Edge and rig out if you want, so you can see if you like the 2011.

I appreciate the offer Don! I'd definitely like to, just seems we can never get our schedules matching up

I'll be the lone dissenter. I shoot an STI Eagle with a bull barrel, and I definitely wouldn't want a limited gun that light if I were new to shooting limited.

I've seen master class shooters with full length dust covers and bull barrels. The muzzle weight won't slow you down that much in transition, but it definitely feels a lot sharper without it.

I can understand where you are coming from. I am not sure what classification i would be shooting USPSA, but i am a CDP Expert. I definitely would not want to continue using the Eagle down the road. I can always see myself shooting IDPA because I enjoy it, but i feel at heart, i am definitely a USPSA guy. I love the high speed action and since i moved away from ATL I've missed it ever since. Just too much driving opposed to local IDPA matches. Im shooting pretty much every sat and sun at the local level and next year i want to dedicate atleast 1 weekend day to a local USPSA match and hit a few state's. Not sure if i will shoot limited or SS, but i would like having the option.

After looking custom routes it doesnt look like prices are too unaffordable to me. Is there anyone with a decent turn around though? Are they like semi-custom and custom 1911's or faster?

Oh and FWIW, a 9mm STI Spartan is just as competitive in ESP as a 2011, especially if you put a big magwell on it. I sympathize with wanting to shoot two games with one gun, but I don't think a new shooter wants a lightweight limited gun. Keep in mind that a limited gun has more muzzle flip than a gun from any other division. Single stacks, even .40 and .45 single stacks, are heavier and shoot flatter/softer (at least in my experience).

I know the trend seems to be going towards lighter guns, but if someone showed up at my door with an Edge in similar condition to my Eagle, I'd probably trade them. For me, more weight has proven better.

Thus far, I've added a heavy Dawson magwell over the regular ICE, a steel MSH, and a tungsten guide rod to mine. It feels just right now. :cheers: