Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cracked grip on SVI framed gun

fastarget

Been having some odd trigger issues and accuracy with a custom 40, built on an SVI frame. Took it all apart today, noticed screws were loose on the grip, and there was a crack on the right side of the grip starting above the mag release and going straight up all the way to the edge of the polymer....

Do I have any other choices than getting and fitting a new STI grip?

Edited by fastarget

I just looked at it again, it is broken/cracked the same way on both sides above the mag release right along where the grip checkering would end .....would have not found it without disassembly, is this pretty typical of the polymer grips?

I do not comonly take the grips off each time I clean, looks like I need to look at them more carefully.

You do not want to take the plastic grip frame off each time you clean that will in crease the likely hood of cracks and an early demise.

IMO, the number one cause of cracks SVI/STI grip frames is slamming in mags to hard (or pounding in overloaded mags). Over time that hammering breaks the frame.

#2 on the list is undercutting or reducing the frame, it weakens the grip if you get too aggressive.

I'd just bite the bullet and look into getting a new metal SV frame fit to it.

You do not want to take the plastic grip frame off each time you clean that will in crease the likely hood of cracks and an early demise.

IMO, the number one cause of cracks SVI/STI grip frames is slamming in mags to hard (or pounding in overloaded mags). Over time that hammering breaks the frame.

#2 on the list is undercutting or reducing the frame, it weakens the grip if you get too aggressive.

I'd just bite the bullet and look into getting a new metal SV frame fit to it.

Not sure about slamming mags, previous owner may have I bought this one a few month ago for IDPA etc. , area of cracks has no reductions to it being above the mag release, the trigger guard is undercut and could affect the integrity of the whole thing.

I will call SVI tomorrow, see what grip to use and whether it is in inventory, they list alum, steel or stainless, any experiences with them?

The metal grip SV is making completes the design of the modular pistol. When you buy a grip you get a trigger/no insert, mainspring housing, mag well, and ambi mag catch. With their grip safety added it gives a fit that no modified polymer grip can. The next biggest benefit is the added weight in the hand and not below your hand like a heavy magwell does.

Rich

The metal grip SV is making completes the design of the modular pistol. When you buy a grip you get a trigger/no insert, mainspring housing, mag well, and ambi mag catch. With their grip safety added it gives a fit that no modified polymer grip can. The next biggest benefit is the added weight in the hand and not below your hand like a heavy magwell does.

Rich

Nice, starting to like this already...glad you two gents suggested the grip safety. anyone try the high grip style?

FWIW, SV polymer grips were for a long time (maybe always) STI grips with the STI logo machined out and the SV medallion dropped in, so the replacement is easy if you want to go that route.

This was my initial thought, and I may still pick up a grip somewhere since none of us can have just one S-i :) Also it may be my fastest fix. Now I have talked to Brandon about building a bushing gun, it will be another year of shooting this gun before I would receive the new one, then keep it for my back up..........so, I may want the grips the same.

The standard STI grip is a bit large, after removing the checkering and texture to make it a bit smaller I thought it is wise to explore a possibility that offers better ergonomics. Infinity seems to have 2 sizes, plus a high grip hold design, I need to see how a functioning grip safety fits in all of this since most of the pictures on their sight show a pretty flat safety. Lots of questions.

Rich

This is very sound advice. You'll think you have a brand new pistol and it will feel better than any SS or poly gripped pistol you've ever held... :sight:

do they have them in stock? I disassembled the gun after yesterday's fund raiser match, and have a match next sat. , so I am trying to get organized, I might have to epoxy these or buy an STI grip temporarely to use if the metal ones have to be fabricated.

Edited by fastarget

do they have them in stock? I disassembled the gun after yesterday's fund raiser match, and have a match next sat. , so I am trying to get organized, I might have to epoxy these or buy an STI grip temporarely to use if the metal ones have to be fabricated.

Call Brandon at 800-928-1911. or email info@sviguns.com

Call Brandon at 800-928-1911. or email info@sviguns.com

I planned to call him today anyway about a design....so I will have some good info...

I think some of our vendors sells other type grips that might work for you if you want to stick with plastic. APS just to name one of them.

Yes, they have some beautiful grips art work, personally I have not done well with textured grips and end up with smoothed polymer and skid tape...

called this morning, they would do the instal if it was one of their guns, but recommended Doug Jones otherwise since the frame is an older sv and the gun was a custom built by someone else..................average production for a grip time 4-6 weeks.