Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why LRN or Plated when FMJ is not much if any more

Fried Chicken Blowout

What's the point of LRN in 9mm. I normally use FMJ from Montana Gold and I have yet to find a LRN or Hard Plated round that is much of any cheaper. If this is the case, why do people use LRN at all. Am I missing the big price difference here?

If anyone has an blowout deals can you post them here?

That's my thought exactly. And when you factor in the extra time cleaning, the smoke, the residue on your hands and clothes, etc., it's just not worth it to me. In the larger calibers, the price difference starts to become more significant if you shoot a lot. I did a spreadsheet earlier this year listing the prices from the major bullet makers in 9mm and .40, it was a small difference in the 9mm.

The only advantages I can think of is using less powder and less wear on the barrel.

I just picked up a case of 124gr. Bayou bullets which was about $50 less than a case of Montana Golds. I like the Montana Golds a lot. However, since the coating on the Bayou bullets seems to eliminate most of the dirtiness and leading associated with conventionally cast and lubed bullets, I was happy to save the $50. It is admittedly only about a $0.65 savings per 50 round box, but I'll go through the case fairly quickly.

I just picked up a case of 124gr. Bayou bullets which was about $50 less than a case of Montana Golds. I like the Montana Golds a lot. However, since the coating on the Bayou bullets seems to eliminate most of the dirtiness and leading associated with conventionally cast and lubed bullets, I was happy to save the $50. It is admittedly only about a $0.65 savings per 50 round box, but I'll go through the case fairly quickly.

Just have to look in the right places.

Mastercast bullets:

9MM 125 GRAIN TCN $48.21 PER 1000 .3565

9MM 147 GRAIN TCFP $56.70 PER 1000 .3565

http://www.mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html

$10.70 shipping for 3,000

That's 3,000 9mm 125gr for $155.33 shipped. Can't beat that price!

Montana Gold: 9mm Caliber 124gr Full Metal Jacket Bullets, 3750 $298 shipped

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/product/9mm124grFMJ.html

Mastercast: 00.052 cents a bullet

Montana Gold: 00.079 cents a bullet

I use an XDm 5.25, there is very little leading in the barrel. Cleaning lead out of a barrel has not been a hassle for me using a bronze bore cleaning brush. I think the price difference is enough to keep shooting lead.

Edited by rjennings10

Some people cast their own lead bullets that makes them almost free and worth shooting. To me, it's the only reason I'd shoot lead bullets - if I made my own, next best thing is plated bullets as they are considerably cheaper than FMJ/JHP bullets, don't require lubing, don't smoke like lead and need smaller powder charges compared to FMJ/JHP ones too.

Plated bullets wear barrel less than FMJ ones and are as accurate; and as easy to load.

Some people cast their own lead bullets that makes them almost free and worth shooting. To me, it's the only reason I'd shoot lead bullets - if I made my own, next best thing is plated bullets as they are considerably cheaper than FMJ/JHP bullets, don't require lubing, don't smoke like lead and need smaller powder charges compared to FMJ/JHP ones too.

Plated bullets wear barrel less than FMJ ones and are as accurate; and as easy to load.

Agree with your statements, but where are you finding plated considerably cheaper, source would be appreciated, I have found Berrys and Xtremes for less than jacketed but not that much less ....

I sell moly bullets, and price is definitely the answer. Jacketed bullets aren't even close.

In case you're wondering, I only shoot what I sell. It isn't worth it for me to buy/shoot jacketed bullets either, because depending on caliber, you can save 40%+, and to me, a jacketed bullet just isn't worth nearly twice the price, no matter what the benefits.

I agree about the plated bullets. The prices I have seen for Raniers, Berrys, and xtremes are all comparable to jacketed bullets when buying by the case. If there is a cheaper source I'd love to know about it.

I sell moly bullets, and price is definitely the answer. Jacketed bullets aren't even close.

In case you're wondering, I only shoot what I sell. It isn't worth it for me to buy/shoot jacketed bullets either, because depending on caliber, you can save 40%+, and to me, a jacketed bullet just isn't worth nearly twice the price, no matter what the benefits.

BBI?

For the same velocities and bullet weights, I notice a softer recoil impulse with the lead bullets. In 9mm, lead load data runs roughly .2 to .3 grains of powder less than jacketed data for the same velocities. That means less gas blast pushing back on the barrel end of the gun after the bullet leaves. Barrel life will be better, too.

For the same velocities and bullet weights, I notice a softer recoil impulse with the lead bullets. In 9mm, lead load data runs roughly .2 to .3 grains of powder less than jacketed data for the same velocities. That means less gas blast pushing back on the barrel end of the gun after the bullet leaves. Barrel life will be better, too.

This too!

I'm using 200 gr moly bullets. I use a full 2 grains less powder than some people shooting jacketed 180s.

This too!

I'm using 200 gr moly bullets. I use a full 2 grains less powder than some people shooting jacketed 180s.

:surprise::surprise::surprise:

I shot bare lead bullets for about two years and I must admit that no FMJ bullet is as inexpensive. Though I like saving money on reloading components, I HATE having to scrub the gun's barrel every 300 rounds and, even more importantly, I noticed that my blood's lead levels were starting to rise.

Plated bullets are a good alternative to bare lead but their price is nearly as much as FMJ's. Moly-coated bullets are a joke! (I will leave it at that...)

Yes, it is true that FMJ bullets are a little bit more money but, in my not so humble opinion, they are money well spent.

There is a gentleman in Pueblo, CO that offers a pretty good price on Montana Gold bullets. If you are interested, shoot me a PM or an email and will send your his info.

Bayou Bullets now.

I was using Billy Bullets which shoot just as good but leave some black stuff on the fingers when working the press and loading up the mags during at match. I've used Precision too and they are a bit cleaner than the Billy Bullets but they don't make the sizes I like.

Bear Creek is priced so well, like $56/1000 for 147 9mm, $65/1000 180 gr .40s, $77/1000 230 gr .45s, that I see no reason for anything else. The moly keeps me from touching lead. My lead levels got high after loading lead for a few years.