Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Sigh in Question 100 yard range & 300 yd targets

Blue Jacket

FIRST! Crono your ammo. until you know exactly what the velocity of your ammo is out of your barrel, you are guessing. then get a good ballistics calculator and print it out. then;

Your choices are; zero it for 100 and memorize the drops.

Or choose a zero distance, and calculate what the zero for it will be and adjust for that.

jj

If you are only shooting out to 200-300 yards you could zero at 100. Maybe an inch or 2 high, wouldn't hurt. If you are shooting at full size MGM flash targest, or 1/2 size paper, you should not have much of a problem.

Once you have the zero you are going to stick with make sure you know your zero up close as well. Those sneaky 7 yard head shots can get as many people as the long stuff.

My experience has been that you never know where your rifle shoots at 300 until you get on a 300 yard range and shoot it.

55gr FMJBT with a typical BC at 3150fps when zeroed at 200 yards will be 3/4" high at 100 yards and 5 and 3/4" low at 300 yards. Even though there is no substitute for testing at actual distance, sighting with offset at 100 yards is just about twice as good as doing it at 50-60 yards is ;)

I buy mostly cheap 55 grain FMJBT. AE or PMC. None of this stuff ever makes the velocity it claims on either manufacture's website. Even out of a 20" barrel. I would get nervous about making minor out of a 16 inch barrel with some factory loads.

I did all the Crono and Ballistic's stuff, then when I hit the 485 yard targets stage the wind was gusting at 30 mph from the right. In my range bag I had the ballistic info along with wind drift information, before I shot the stage I read what I needed to know, poked my head out of the APC and hit every target. 69gr SMK's loaded with TAC. You also need to know the exact distance your sights are above the center of the bore line. I zeroed the rifle on a 50 yard range. I knew the size of the targets so I could adjust accurately, good old fashioned cross hairs, not a gaggel of red lights and dash marks.

If a longer range were handy, I would have test the zero at longer range.

What do you do when you got a 100 yard range, but will be shooting an upcoming match with 300 year targets? I was wondering what the ballistics on XM193 is out to 200 and 300 yards?

Also how should I sight it in? On at 100 or high by x inches?

Here is some of my old data.

Federal XM193F out of a 16" conventional barrel with the sights 2.5" above the bore.

100 yard zero.

200 yards it was about 4 inches low.

300 yards it was 10-12 inches low.

Hope this helps get close until you get to shoot at 200 and 300 to see for yourself.

Thanks for all the help. I am going out to the range to make sure it's dialed in at least at a 100. The information you all provided gives me somewhere to start to holdover. I am shooting the FNH Match in November. At our local matches the range is only 100 yards. Hopefully I won't embarrass myself too bad. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Barrel length is going to make some difference here. I have shot XM193 for years and based on my experience out of a 16 inch barrel you can count on it to run as hot or even a lttle hotter than advertised. I have used a 1.75 high at 100 yards which puts me on the flashers at 200 and for 300 I hold at the top of the target.

BTW I found my first bad rounds in a case of XM193 at my last match but not bad for 5 years of shooting it.

You can get close sighting in "x" inches high or low at 100 yds to get a 200 or 300 yd zero, but you can't always rely on the balistic charts. I have a 25 yd zero & a 50 yd zero. My 25 yd zero is supposed to get me close to a 300 yd zero, but in reality it shoots 6-inches lower than the balistic chart says it should ... that's why this sport is fun :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending on your over bore height and muzzle velocity a 40 yard zero should put you on the money at 300 yards. That will put you at about 4.48 inches high at 180 yards and less before and after. This is from ballistic FTE. Shooting is the only way to check but the program is pretty good.