Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder

shagman

I have started reloaing 9mm again.I am using winchester 231 which I have read is a good all around powder.I want to load 130gr FMJ but there so many choices I d not know which to choose.Would'nt you know thre is nothing about winchester 231 on the 130 gr. FMJ.I try to keep to a powder that people say good things about like winchester 231.If anyone could suggest a good powder as good as winchester 231 which I like and so do a lt of other poeple I have chatted with,I would be very greatful,I load 40"s,9mm and 223'sand I try to keep it down to ne or two types of powder per caliber.As you can see i sometimes talk to much but maybe Ican return the favor if someoone needs help.Drop me aline at shager2@al.com or post it and I will be lookinng for help....Thanks guys,shagman,Also,I have a bucket of 223 brass if someone might be a little short,tanks JR

I assume you want to load "minor" loads?

Years ago, I used 231. It is pretty harsh, but, other than that, really isn't a bad powder.

99% of the time, I'm now using VVN320 for 9mm minor, it is the softest I've tried, and keep a jug of Titegroup for a backup.

You don't say what kind of pistol you're using, or, barrel length. Here's what I copied, and pasted from the VV website:

130 FMJ Sierra 29,0 1.142 N320 0,23 3.6 299 981 0,26 4.0 319 1046

That didn't come out very well! What it says is with a Sierra 130, fmj, at 1.142 OAL, with 3.6 grains of VVN320, the velocity should be about 981fps.

Max load is 4 grains, with velocity of 1046.

I like 231, its a great all purpose powder, very economical to use, and it meters perfectly. I've used it in 38, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 acp, works well in all those and many more.

9/28/2006 115 gr hollow point Fed primer

70 degrees 4.6 gr WW231 Beretta 92

1 1107.00-- 1079.00

2 1073.00-- 1111.00

3 1074.00-- 1063.00

4 1088.00-- 1107.00

5 1113.00-- 1079.00

6 1059.00-- 1089.00

7 1110.00-- 1100.00

8 1092.00-- 1086.00

9 1065.00-- 1104.00

10 1106.00-- 1086.00

Average vel 1089.00-- 1091.00

High 1113.00-- 1111.00

Low 1059.00-- 1061.00

ES 54.00-- 45.60

SD 20.10-- 14.50

AD 17.00-- 11.90

Edited by g56

I've been using Hodgdon TiteGroup for 9mm minor since I started reloading in Dec 06. For the price and availability, it's hard to beat. Some hate it, some love it. My only complaint is that it does run hot... when I head out for a dedicated practice session (about 300-400 rds), the gun gets pretty toasty during drills (KKM barrel has been punished time and time again) but haven't broke anything yet :D. Works for me so have had no reason to switch. VV N320 is also very popular in Production Div loads but not cheap by any means. I have never tried the Win line of powders which also seem to be common for this load category. Good luck!

Chris

I've been using Hodgdon TiteGroup for 9mm minor since I started reloading in Dec 06. For the price and availability, it's hard to beat. Some hate it, some love it. My only complaint is that it does run hot... when I head out for a dedicated practice session (about 300-400 rds), the gun gets pretty toasty during drills (KKM barrel has been punished time and time again) but haven't broke anything yet :D. Works for me so have had no reason to switch. VV N320 is also very popular in Production Div loads but not cheap by any means. I have never tried the Win line of powders which also seem to be common for this load category. Good luck!

Chris

I am an avid disliker of TG, nasty funky too hot and just down right violent, even if it is cheap who cares. Now back to the questions WST is the near twin of 231, load data is pretty non existant, but just drop the 231 load by .1gr and you are there. WST is clean, burns at normal temprature and by golly its cheap to boot. It is excellent in 40 and 45, and while I'm not tickled pink with it in 9 mm it does the job. With 130gr you are going to come in around 4.0-4.3gr of WST to make minor, depending on OAL. WST works best with Moly or BayouBullets, with Jacketed bullets I prefer N320 cost a bit more but the accuracy and consistency and low recoil are worth it. WST like 231 has a temprature problem but in 40 (WST) I've run the same 170pf load in all temps at majors and nationals and never failed the crono. Oh, yes ant TG I won the Crono stage at Gator a couple years ago my 170 pf load at 100 turned into a 189 pf monster at 38, reverse temp sensative.

Get some N320 it will put a smile on your face.

my shooting buddy and I both shoot the MG 124gr JHP and both run identical G34s... he predominately uses VV N320 and occassionally loads some with TG. I use exclusively TG (in my case, if it ain't broke don't fix it)... I've shot some of his loads with the VV propellant and honestly can't tell much difference in accuracy or recoil impulse. Just my opinion. I can't justify spending nearly twice as much on the VV vs. the TG but that's me. Everybody has their own setup they like to roll with. The VV is cleaner/cooler burning though I will say.

Also, have never run into large velocity deviations due to temperature that I can recall during chrono.

Not trying to say TG is the greatest thing out there but I know a LOT of people who use it in uspsa.

C.

Another vote for N320. Being a new reloader you might not notice any differences between powder at first, and yes VV powder is more expensive, but there is nothing that beats it.

GlockCanMan,

Not sure if you were talking to me or the OP but I've reloaded 25K rounds since I got my machine so I'm not exactly new to reloading.

C.

To be realistic, the "best" powders are those 1) that you have reloading data for, and that 2) you know how to obtain. Everything else, even though the clouds part and angels pronounce it blessed, is simply academic.

A look though your reloading manuals will help you spot the maximum bullet speeds each powder is capable of producing. The required bullet speed for 124gr is around 1025 fps. So you want to look for powders with a maximum speed in the range of 1050 to 1100 fps. In this way you can back off the load to ~95% (added safety) while still enjoying the efficiency (low cost and clean burning) of a good load. Win 231, HP-38, N320, and lots of others fall into this category.

Additional info can be gleaned....

• 700X would not be a good powder because you'd have to shoot repeatedly at max load (1022 fps) simply to make PF. That's not healthy for you or the gun.

• Even though AA No5 makes speed, it may not be a good choice because it uses 6.0gr to achieve what Unique does with 5.1gr.

It's all there in your loading manual. ;)

has anyone ever played with REDDOT? I tried some out and liked it quite a bit with .45 200 LSWC's. It is high up on the burn chart, clean, and very cheap! It doesnt seem like a lot of people talk about it or use it though so it means its either a sleeper or people dont use it for a reason!

Another vote for VV - but I use N330 in my 9mm loads.

What weight of bullet and charge? Any chrono data? I use N330 for .40S&W and was thinking of trying it for 9mm minor.

For minor I am loading a 147gr Bayou Bullet over 3.8gr of N330 @ 1.135 OAL = PF:136 from my Sig P226. A little hot for some who really want a powder puff but it's still soft shooting and was the most accurate with a nice 3" group at 25 yards in my gun. PM with your email and I am happy to send you my chrono spreadsheet.

I used to load a lot of Unique in 9mm but recently switched to WSF and like it a lot better. Seems to be more accurate in my guns and softer shooting at the same velocity levels. It also meters very well through my Dillon powder measure.

Edited by jfrey

I use N320 for 9mm minor...IMHO even the most expensive powders are not significantly more expensive when you take into consideration how much you spend on the other components and how far the powder goes.

From an accuracy standpoint, I can tell you that out of the thousands of rounds, 12 different powders and 8 different bullet combinations (lead and FMJ) I have shot out of a Ransom rest with my 3 9mm pistols, WSF and Silouhette powders are the most accurate powders with Titegroup in 3 place at PF ranges from 133-135. In my Ransom Rest trails N320 came in near the bottom in accuracy. So for me cheap, easily obtainable accurate powders is what I will continue to use and I just do not why everyone is so hell bent on using N320

Still trying to find an accurate load with WST for any cartridge.

My handguns, in various cartridges, seem to prefer AA2, AA5, or AA7.

AA2: .45ACP, .38 Special

AA5: .38 Super, .40 S&W

AA7: 9x19, 9x21, 10mm Auto

Other powders that seem to generally work well with 9x19 and any weight of jacketed or cast lead bullet are N320 and WSF.

If I had to pick a powder even faster than 231/HP38, I would look at Clays (2.6gn and a 125gn L-RN) and Solo 1000 (3.2gn and a 125gn L-RN).

The moly-koted bullets I have tried have done very well with Clays (as much as I dislike to pressure spikey nature of the powder), N320, and Solo 1000.