Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie buys a Nighthawk Dominator for SS and is questioning the purcha

Bandog

Hello I shot Limited 10 years ago in my twenties and loved it. Though I moved and stopped shooting USPSA and IDPA. For some reason well there are reasons but those are trivial as to why I picked the Single Stack division to get back into USPSA. I did not do my research and thought a Nighthawk Dominator would be a good gun for Single Stack. Well that's before I shot my friends Infinity .45. I have not shot the Dominator. The only modification I did was put a Dawson fiber optic sight on it. I was considering replacing the mag well with a Tech Well , putting an SVI short curved trigger in, extended magazine release (if you have recommendations please say) and reducing the trigger pull from 4.5lbs to 3lbs. My question is should I just sell this unfired Dominator and buy a gun built and ideally set up for Single Stack? I got to thinking maybe I made a mistake when a guy I was reading about gutted his stock firing group on his Wilson Combat CQB and put an SVI "Infinity Ignition Kit" in it. I want to have the ideal set up so I can blame only myself for my poor shooting. I just wanted to get some opinions before I do anything further with the Dominator ie shoot it and reduce it's value for resale. Thanks in advance.

I don't know why anybody would replace the Wilson parts with SV other than personal preference. The Wilson parts are excellent. You will probably take a sizable hit selling the Nighthawk. There is nothing wrong with the gun you own. Have a good trigger job done on it, add your extended mag release and swap the magwell if you like the Techwell better and shoot it.

There is nothing wrong with your Nighthawk for shooting single stack. But I can totally understand why you might want one of these

SVwithVZ.jpg

Yeah it's hard for a Nighthawk to look sexy when up against an Infinity. I am sure I would take a hit selling the Nighthawk. What could I do to improve it? I think the 4.5 lbs trigger pull a bit heavy I was thinking 3.5 to 3. I want an SVI short curved trigger. I spoke to Bob inventor of the Tech Well and given 2011 line up at USPSA Single Stack and how many were using it seems a given. I run my carry gun and my past duty gun with slim grips and a medium solid trigger. I do not have big hands my trigger finger is short so if I go to the Tech Well I'll need to run a short trigger due to the full size grips that come along with it. I was going to run the Tech Well unless anyone suggests another mag well that is as good that I should consider. I know Dave Sevigny was running a Tech Well on his gun when he toppled the king. As were many in the top ten at the 2011 Single Stack Nationals. As far as over size magazine releases any suggestions? Also I typically through training reach over the top and rack the slide upon new mag insertion though if an over sized slide top is allowed I'd like a suggestion on where to go for that. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Bandog,

It really doesn't have anything to do with looks, although I do prefer "sexy" looking guns. The overall fit/finish of the SV's is what sets them apart from anything I've owned. You pay a premium price and wait 10-12 months, but what you get in the end is an absolute Masterpiece. I'll settle for nothing less now. Keep in mind, I've used Colt, Kimber, Les Baer (x's 2) Wilson Combat (x's 3) and various custom STI's (x's 4) In my opinion, nothing that I've owned has compared to the SV Infinitys. That is why I've sold or traded all the others.

With that said, your NIghthawk should be a high quality firearm and should serve well for a while. Don't lose money by selling it. Shoot it for a year, save your money and when you've got 15-20 thousand rounds through the NH, you'll be able to pay cash for the SV. I would certainly try to get a premium trigger job with something less than 3#. 2-2.5 feels best to me.

I don't have any experience with the Tech-well mag wells, but I think most of the competition mag wells offer about the same size opening. I never use my slide stop as a slide release, so I don't have any use for an extended one. Think gross motor skills vs. fine motor skills...

Whatever you decide to do, Train hard, train smart and train often. That is what wins matches ;)

Edited by SV-COP

What could I do to improve it? I think the 4.5 lbs trigger pull a bit heavy I was thinking 3.5 to 3.

IMHO a good trigger (weight is personal preference but I like'em around 2lbs or less for this game), good sights and reliability are the basics of a solid gaming gun. Then you have to feed it good ammo. Whether you buy or reload, the gun must function with what you feed it.

As far as over size magazine releases any suggestions? Also I typically through training reach over the top and rack the slide upon new mag insertion though if an over sized slide top is allowed I'd like a suggestion on where to go for that. Thanks for the help so far guys.

It sounds like you're talking about two different parts: mag release and slide stop.

A lot of folks run a big button or paddle on a drilled/tapped mag release to aid reloads.

I don't know anyone in the USPSA game who uses an extended slide stop. Not saying it's not used, but I've never seen anyone use one. IDPA may be different because I think shooting to slide lock is part of that game. I think most folks release the slide with the thumb of the left hand.

Whatever you decide to do, Train hard, train smart and train often. That is what wins matches ;)

+1 - this is where it's at. Get some basic work done to your Nighthawk and then shoot it. As you get back into the game, you'll figure out, through experience and observation, what other changes you might want to make on this gun or if you'd rather save up for something like an S_I or other high end blaster.

:cheers:

No offense, but the Infinity does nothing for me aesthetically. If the Dominator looks anything like the one on the Nighthawk sight, that DOES do something for me.

The Nighthawk is a spectacular gun. Although I don't own one, I certainly would not doubt its ability to be competitive at the absolute top level in SS. Really, once you get into the Wilsons, Nighthawks, Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc - you're talking more about preference for subtle details than performance. Find a load you like, load (or buy) a dump truck load of them, and shoot the heck out of it. If you want a lighter trigger, go for it. But other than the trigger and some other personalization details, I don't think you're going to find a whole lot of performance difference in the higher-end choices.

However, if you really don't think you'll ever fall for the Nighthawk, and you'll always wish you had gone with the Infinity, sell the Nighthawk NOW, before you have anything done to it. Get rid of it and get what you really want. I spent 8 years shooting a shotgun I "settled" with, and never really liked it. By the time I bought the shotgun I'd really wanted, it cost me 2X what it would have to buy right the first time.

No offense, but the Infinity does nothing for me aesthetically. If the Dominator looks anything like the one on the Nighthawk sight, that DOES do something for me.

The Nighthawk is a spectacular gun. Although I don't own one, I certainly would not doubt its ability to be competitive at the absolute top level in SS. Really, once you get into the Wilsons, Nighthawks, Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc - you're talking more about preference for subtle details than performance. Find a load you like, load (or buy) a dump truck load of them, and shoot the heck out of it. If you want a lighter trigger, go for it. But other than the trigger and some other personalization details, I don't think you're going to find a whole lot of performance difference in the higher-end choices.

However, if you really don't think you'll ever fall for the Nighthawk, and you'll always wish you had gone with the Infinity, sell the Nighthawk NOW, before you have anything done to it. Get rid of it and get what you really want. I spent 8 years shooting a shotgun I "settled" with, and never really liked it. By the time I bought the shotgun I'd really wanted, it cost me 2X what it would have to buy right the first time.

Its easier for me to get over spending the extra money than to have something I "settle" for and trying to make it work by spending more money and time on it and in the end buying what I really want. If you sell it now what will you shoot during the 10-12 month wait on the infinity? Trigger job magwell shoot it...order the Infinity sell the NH just before you get the new Infinity, you will take more of a hit than selling unfired but you will have something to shoot.

I have a dominator from NH and it is a fantastic gun, the trigger is crisp and the gun is accurate for just about anything. A brand is not going to make you better or worse, mine came with a magwell and has been 100% reliable out of the box.

With a lifetime warranty I would take it out shoot it and try to wear it out........the current CO SS champion and a month later won the mile high shootout in SS shoots a colt built by his father from colt frame and slide ,with a Nowlin barrel and a Dawson magwell.

Thanks to everyone! This has been very informative. I do have another question. What mag well can I run and still use my thin VZ grips that I prefer? Tech Well is designed to have the grips support it. So you have to buy their grips. So I'd love to find an extended mag well that fits in the box with my Bomar sights and still run my thin grips for my baby hands. I like the looks of Stan Chen's MaxBevel mag well. The Dominator comes with what is or is a copy of a S&A mag well. Which has a less than generous opening. Great for carry though not so great for competition. Also I don't know if Nighthawk will do a 2 to 2.5 trigger as they are geared toward fighting guns rather than comp. guns. I emailed Canyon Creek about the mod's but Rich's email server kicked it back. Who else would you suggest that would have a rather quick turn around time?

Edited by Bandog

I have a dominator from NH and it is a fantastic gun, the trigger is crisp and the gun is accurate for just about anything. A brand is not going to make you better or worse, mine came with a magwell and has been 100% reliable out of the box.

With a lifetime warranty I would take it out shoot it and try to wear it out........the current CO SS champion and a month later won the mile high shootout in SS shoots a colt built by his father from colt frame and slide ,with a Nowlin barrel and a Dawson magwell.

I know the lifetime warranty is not something I really want to screw with. I only question if the can reduce my trigger pull that low. I will call on Monday. I've got a GRP that refuses to fully chamber any sort of hollow point tried four manufacturers so I need to call them. That is pretty cool about the guy that won the mile high on a gun his dad built him.

Edited by Bandog

3 lb trigger pull will be reasonable they would do it I bet, a nice crisp 3lb trigger will actually feel lighter. My GRP took a while to break in, it was the finish, as soon as the rails were clear of it, it ate everything, sold it when my wife gifted me the dominator :rolleyes: . NH are excellent guns, and top notch customer service.

3 lb trigger pull will be reasonable they would do it I bet, a nice crisp 3lb trigger will actually feel lighter. My GRP took a while to break in, it was the finish, as soon as the rails were clear of it, it ate everything, sold it when my wife gifted me the dominator :rolleyes: . NH are excellent guns, and top notch customer service.

I do like Nighthawk. They are on top of the GRP situation. It literally won't won't fully feed any hollow point. I bought it used but Nighthawk's warranty has you covered. I sent it down for a full inspection and to replace any suspect parts. Though they did not apparently test fire it with hollow points. When you say that a 3lb trigger will feel lighter if done properly than an 2.5lb from another smith if it is crisp? I am wondering if to get a 2 - 2.5 lb trigger pull you have to go with something like an SVI set up or spend a boat load on custom fitting? I figure I will buy the Dawson Ice Mag Well on Monday. The Tech Well proved it's self at this year's Single Stack Nationals (Go Dave Sevigny!) though I want to keep my slim grips.

Send the gun to a good custom smith and get it fixed. Any one of the gunsmiths that are on this forum can and will set the gun up to run anything you put in the mag. The trigger can be set to 2# with no problems at all and you will never look back.

As to voiding the warranty....... WTH good is a warranty if the gun won't run?

As to a magwell "proving" itself.... The shooter proves himself. Not the add on magwell. wink.gif

I know a master level guy that shoots a kimber - believe me, the nighthawk is not holding you back any.

keep the gun, put a deposit on a SVI if you really want it and blast 30k rounds through the nighthawk in the next year. Best advice I can give you.

I know a master level guy that shoots a kimber - believe me, the nighthawk is not holding you back any.

keep the gun, put a deposit on a SVI if you really want it and blast 30k rounds through the nighthawk in the next year. Best advice I can give you.

+1

I run a Spartan with a lot of work done to it. It runs and is plenty to get anybody ahead in SS......and I paid 1/3 the cost of yours.

Due to injury I have not even shot the Nighthawk. So it cannot hold me back. I do want a 2- 2.5lb trigger. I know there are smiths on this forum could someone guide me to them? Thanks

What made you choose the NH in the first place? You must have liked something about it to purchase a $3K gun.

As far as the "details" like magwell, trigger, grips, sights and such that is all personal preference. People will always be changing some thing about their set up.

The NH is a custom gun and will perform like one I am betting. I personally know master and A class shooters that compete with "franken" guns and the gun is not the limitation.

Personally, I would not choose a SVI but as they say- "Different stokes for different folks"

Due to injury I have not even shot the Nighthawk. So it cannot hold me back. I do want a 2- 2.5lb trigger. I know there are smiths on this forum could someone guide me to them? Thanks

Go to the BE Vendor Tents and look at the names there. Some don't work that much on 1911 type guns but a number of them do and they are all quality gunsmiths.

Personally I use Triangle Shooting Sports - 361-241-1091 - Benny Hill. Ck out his website Triangle Shooting Sports

Go to the BE Vendor Tents and look at the names there. Some don't work that much on 1911 type guns but a number of them do and they are all quality gunsmiths.

Personally I use Triangle Shooting Sports - 361-241-1091 - Benny Hill. Ck out his website Triangle Shooting Sports

Than you. Nick