Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEUPOLD. VXR 1.25-4 review

ccoker

I am very impressed with the new Leupold VXR Firedot line of scopes…

Glass is right there with the Trijicon Accupoints, a scope line I am very familiar with and are universally well regarded for glass quality and low light hunting usefulness.

Clear glass and a properly done dot that i can be just bright enough to contrast against the target without being so bright it overpowers your view like a lot of scopes are.

In general, I really like these new Leupolds, they have made noticeable improvements in glass and I put these VXRs as good if not better than the Mark 4s made in the last year.

They don’t have the twilight lens coatings but are the only ones to use their new lead free glass. Great clarity and resolution.

This review for the 1.24-5 features:

* Exposed mil turrets with 6 mils per revolution, 3 total.

* SPR reticle, same as the Mark 4 1.5-5 has had, 10Mil circle with has marks at 2.5mils

* 30mm tube

* reticle is nice and bold and well defined

* push-buttom illumination, flashes at both maximum and minimum settings and cycles through

* compact and light

Ok, enough talk about features, how does it work in the field?

One thing that I think will hurt their sales is the lack of a true 1x at the bottom, but in all honesty, I don’t think that should be a show stopper. Now, would I use this for a home defense optic? probably not, I would prefer to run and do run and Aimpoint T1. Outside of say 10 yards I don’t have any issues with engaging multiple targets fast. It’s not finicky on eye relief and feel I can get on target very fast and easy. The circle is fast and the illuminated dot gets PLENTY bright even if bright Texas noon sun. This is something I have heard a few people say it’s not bright enough but neither me nor a few friends that shot it yesterday felt that way at all.

I am running a 250 yard zero with 75/77g match ammo. This gives me a +3″ at 100 yards with both 55g and 75/77g ammo. The 2.5 mil hash serves as my 500 yard hold.

In short, for 3 gun use out to 250 I can run 55g 223 or 5.56 and hold dead on, and switch to heavier ammo for the 500 yard targets which are much better in the wind.

On my Wilson Combat 16″ 5.56 1 in 7 stainless I had no problem at 500 yard 12″ plates.

I plan to run this in some 3 gun matches and feel confident it will work out very well.

Please note that the lit reticle is much more obvious in person..

some pics of the Leupold Patrol 1.25-4

Leupold-VXR-Patrol-124-r-on-Wilson-Combat-556.jpg

at 250 yards, unlit

Leupold-125-4-Patrol-reticle-picture-at-250-yards.jpg

at 250 yards, lit

Leupold-125-4-Patrol-reticle-picture-at-250-yards-lit.jpg

500 yards, lit, the 2.5 mil hashmark is centered on a Larue resetting steel target, picture doesn't show it cleanly but it was no problem centering it and hitting with 75/77g

Leupold-125-4-Patrol-reticle-picture-at-500-yards.jpg

at 75 yards, lit

the reticle appears brighter in person

VXR-Patrol-125-4-at-75-yards-1x.jpg

One point to add:

The VXR glass has better edge to edge clarity than the Accupont -4

I'm glad you did this review. I've been considering the 2-7x33 VX-R for my DMR style rifle. Not for 3 gun! I was looking for something out to 500 that I could shoot groups at around 300 yards. But I'm thinking I'll need a 3-9x for that not really sure I don't really have any experience with optics. How far do you think you could group consistantly with the 1.25-4x ?

I am very impressed with the new Leupold VXR Firedot line of scopes…

Glass is right there with the Trijicon Accupoints, a scope line I am very familiar with and are universally well regarded for glass quality and low light hunting usefulness.

Clear glass and a properly done dot that i can be just bright enough to contrast against the target without being so bright it overpowers your view like a lot of scopes are.

In general, I really like these new Leupolds, they have made noticeable improvements in glass and I put these VXRs as good if not better than the Mark 4s made in the last year.

They don’t have the twilight lens coatings but are the only ones to use their new lead free glass. Great clarity and resolution.

This review for the 1.24-5 features:

* Exposed mil turrets with 6 mils per revolution, 3 total.

* SPR reticle, same as the Mark 4 1.5-5 has had, 10Mil circle with has marks at 2.5mils

* 30mm tube

* reticle is nice and bold and well defined

* push-buttom illumination, flashes at both maximum and minimum settings and cycles through

* compact and light

Ok, enough talk about features, how does it work in the field?

One thing that I think will hurt their sales is the lack of a true 1x at the bottom, but in all honesty, I don’t think that should be a show stopper. Now, would I use this for a home defense optic? probably not, I would prefer to run and do run and Aimpoint T1. Outside of say 10 yards I don’t have any issues with engaging multiple targets fast. It’s not finicky on eye relief and feel I can get on target very fast and easy. The circle is fast and the illuminated dot gets PLENTY bright even if bright Texas noon sun. This is something I have heard a few people say it’s not bright enough but neither me nor a few friends that shot it yesterday felt that way at all.

I am running a 250 yard zero with 75/77g match ammo. This gives me a +3″ at 100 yards with both 55g and 75/77g ammo. The 2.5 mil hash serves as my 500 yard hold.

In short, for 3 gun use out to 250 I can run 55g 223 or 5.56 and hold dead on, and switch to heavier ammo for the 500 yard targets which are much better in the wind.

On my Wilson Combat 16″ 5.56 1 in 7 stainless I had no problem at 500 yard 12″ plates.

I plan to run this in some 3 gun matches and feel confident it will work out very well.

Please note that the lit reticle is much more obvious in person..

some pics of the Leupold Patrol 1.25-4

Leupold-VXR-Patrol-124-r-on-Wilson-Combat-556.jpg

at 250 yards, unlit

Leupold-125-4-Patrol-reticle-picture-at-250-yards.jpg

at 250 yards, lit

Leupold-125-4-Patrol-reticle-picture-at-250-yards-lit.jpg

500 yards, lit, the 2.5 mil hashmark is centered on a Larue resetting steel target, picture doesn't show it cleanly but it was no problem centering it and hitting with 75/77g

Leupold-125-4-Patrol-reticle-picture-at-500-yards.jpg

at 75 yards, lit

the reticle appears brighter in person

VXR-Patrol-125-4-at-75-yards-1x.jpg

One point to add:

The VXR glass has better edge to edge clarity than the Accupont -4

Great review.Approx how much are they?

I have also used this scope. For the money, it is a very good value. Performance wise I have no complaints. This scope has made me want to give a vx6 scope a look.

If the VX6 ever hits the street........................

T

Ok is the scope review on the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 or the Leupold VX-R Patrol Tactical 1.25-4x20 ?

Two different beasts, different reticles,different sensors and different prices.

The VX-R is about $450, has a fireDot circle recticle and vibration sensor.

The VX-R Patrol is about $580, has a fireDot SPR recticle and motion sensor.

I picked one of these scopes up off the prize table at the Rockcastle Pro-Am 3 gun match and am really liking it so far. I replaced a Mk4 1.5-5 SPR and haven't looked back. The firedot SPR is a whole lot more useable than the old SPR. I think it is the best 3 gun optic that Leupold has offered so far in a price range most can afford. I wish they would offer it with a bullet drop reticle instead of having the first holdover line 2.5 mils below the center, also for a 3 gun scope I would prefer capped or locking turrets just to have some insurance against accidentially turning knobs putting the rifle into and taking it out of boxes, barrels, etc.

Yeah, the option of Capps would be good

I had the vertical move on me, was thinking of perhaps a thick o ring at the bottom to make turning that much harder

I don't like BDC reticles personally and having finer mil hash marks wouldnt be bad as long as they were clearly visible at 4x

As is works pretty well for where I shoot, long distances are set at 250 and 500

If I needed more ranges, say 350, 400 I would either figure out the holds or dial

• 1 month later...

I have the 1.5-5 MK4 with SPR ret. I like the quality overall and glass is clear, to me anyway. The fire dot looks to be a nice addition on the VXR.

The exposed turrets would be a no go for me in a 3g optic.

I wish the SPR had some hash marks at 300 and out. I think when I did the math the first hash was ~430yrds. Thats too far to start for a 3g optic IMO. I tried to talk to Leupold about it a SHOT one year....that didnt go very well.

Nice review thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...