Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate thieves

RangerTrace

First of all, this is not a poke/shot at Robert Porter or the Double Tap Ranch. He is a good friend of mine and I've enjoyed every match that I've shot at the DTR.

However, a few months ago, while at the Double Tap Championships, someone helped themselves to my Flip Video Camera out of my range bag. I didn't take it out, because Lee Neel had his HD camera/tripod going on every stage. Nonetheless, the camera made it's way out of my range bag and into someone else's hands. $100 is no huge loss....

However, last weekend, one of our local shooters had a custom M&P pistol stolen from her (unlocked) trunk while at the Area 4 Championships. They took some other things, but the pistol was the most valuable. I can somehow understand/expect some POS to steal our stuff from a Hotel or eatery, but when it happens at the range..........it enrages me :ph34r:

Of course it's possible that some unknown "non-shooter" made their way onto the property to target their victims in the parking area. But, my camera was taken out of my bag, on the tables, between the bays.

So, I think it's very possible that we have a thief among us who attends our matches and may very well read these posts. I know we already have enough things to think about at matches, but I guess we'll have to start keeping our gear secure at all time too :angry2:

I HATE THIEVES :excl:

Edited by SV-COP

I have found over the past 20+ years of shooting, 99% of the time I thought something went missing. I was the one that misplaced it.

Keep looking maybe?

We had an instance like this recently at a match in Alvarado, TX. After 10 days of sleuthing the firearm was found between 2 compartments in the range bag.

I hope it is not a thief in this case.

I have found over the past 20+ years of shooting, 99% of the time I thought something went missing. I was the one that misplaced it.

Keep looking maybe?

We had an instance like this recently at a match in Alvarado, TX. After 10 days of sleuthing the firearm was found between 2 compartments in the range bag.

I hope it is not a thief in this case.

I can assure you that the Flip Video camera is gone. I didn't search her trunk, but its a convertible BMW with a very small trunk. I'm pretty sure she would have found it, if it was still there. Not to mention that they took her electronic ear pro too.....

MG nats 2009 someone helped themselves to ALL of our remaining .223 out of Jim Lamberts vehicle, and we still had to shoot the last day. frantic trips around town finding ammo and not being able to re zero the next day. oh well...

In this case neither I nor any of the company I was with thought it was fellow shooters, the range was open to visitors all weekend long and I saw plenty of non shooters (very obvious) roaming around.

Trace, if there is anything notable about the custom M&P, make it known. Just might get spotted somewhere...

At the indoor range for the club I belong to, someone in the parking lot broke into a car and stole a range bag. All while the USPSA night was going on. The bag was empty, but that's pretty brave to sneak onto the property and break a car window when 20 guys are running around with guns.

I hate thieves also.

MG nats 2009 someone helped themselves to ALL of our remaining .223 out of Jim Lamberts vehicle, and we still had to shoot the last day. frantic trips around town finding ammo and not being able to re zero the next day. oh well...

In this case neither I nor any of the company I was with thought it was fellow shooters, the range was open to visitors all weekend long and I saw plenty of non shooters (very obvious) roaming around.

Trace, if there is anything notable about the custom M&P, make it known. Just might get spotted somewhere...

It had one of those dip coatings with skulls all over it.

man the balls on some people. esp. at a range full of armed people that are generally pretty good shots.

COF:

you are enjoying a day at the range with your friends and family. all of a sudden you notice that your range bag was just stolen off of the table and is being held hostage by the 3 preps in the parking lot......BEEEEP

Edited by RDunn

The Double Tap Ranch is a thief's delight. This is not a slam on Robert or any of the folks that run matches there but it is what it is. Range bags full of gear are left on the tables in the main walk way while shooters are focused into the berms on both sides of the walk way with their backs to the tables. Every thief in town knows when a major match is being shot and has to just show up, walk the match and wait for an opportunity to grab something. The answer to the problem is don't let your bag out of your sight. Yeah I know that keeping an eye on it is a PIA but consider the downside of the possible alternative.

Thieves are opportunists... NEVER give them an opportunity!

Pat

Your not alone I had some merchandise stolen off my vending table at the Double tap match, probably the same guy. I was there at area 4, and to my knowledge nothing was taken that time, but I do keep a close eye now..Kinda sucks, when you donate your merchandise to help the prize table and shooters, and then you have someonoe help themselves to an early prize.