Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Shots

BigBets

Been shooting USPSA for about 8 months now. Shot my 1st major match at area 3 and during the 5th stage shot suddely I observed myself calling all my shots as the sights lifted. I had been able to call individual shots on a 50-50 basis before this but all of the sudden it just happened. My question is, did those of you who are calling all your shots in a stage slowly progress to that point or did it just happen all the sudden. Looking for techniques to make sure this doesn't stop and abruptly as it started :roflol:

Jacob

I'm definitely not "where I need to be" in terms of this skill. But... I wonder whether or not I'll know when I get there.

That comes from the fact that I don't consciously register good shots, but consistently call bad ones and make them up on the spot. (Not all of them just yet-- but I think I'm getting there.) That may in fact be the common experience, or just the way my mind works. Never call a good one, but call a bad one with about 85% accuracy-- and almost never mistake a good hit for a bad one.

What took me quite a while to learn was just how much sight upset translated to a bad shot at certain distances. I remember well making up several Alphas with other Alphas because I saw the sight move before the shot broke, but didn't realize just how much shift in impact that translated to at my distance to the target. That one just comes with experience, and not so much with practice-- as I don't know anyone who consistently practices missing!

I noticed it happening first dry firing, all of a sudden I could actually see where the sight is when I pulled the trigger. Similar to you I can call them correctly half the time in practice.

Ok, in a match, I dont know, I thought I could until I missed a couple of head shots at the last match which I had believed were dead on, so it must come with time and practice and building that awaraness or teaching your brain to see at match speed. Any techniques for improvement would be great anything to teach the mind how to see and react faster under duress in the middle of a stage.

I noticed it happening first dry firing, all of a sudden I could actually see where the sight is when I pulled the trigger. Similar to you I can call them correctly half the time in practice.

Ok, in a match, I dont know, I thought I could until I missed a couple of head shots at the last match which I had believed were dead on, so it must come with time and practice and building that awaraness or teaching your brain to see at match speed. Any techniques for improvement would be great anything to teach the mind how to see and react faster under duress in the middle of a stage.

Usually when I know I was seeing the sight well, didn't call a miss and still didn't put enough holes on a target-- it's a problem with index, and not sight alignment or trigger press.

"I hit where I was aiming, alright! Too bad I wasn't aiming at the target..."

I also had to figure out that my POI had shifted with an ammo change recently. THAT one nearly drove me insane.

I noticed it last night at a local IDPA match (Postal Match). For the first time, I felt like I could call my shots, I was clearly seeing the front sight, and felt confident on my shot placement. At least two of the stages I zeroed down all targets. :D

I've done two things that really helped me: changed from a red FO to a green FO on the front sight, and probably more important, I started shooting with a small piece of scotch tape over the left lense of my eye glasses. I'm 54, normally wear progressive bifocals, and for shooting glasses I had a pair made with the left lens having a distance Rx and the right lens a near Rx - approx at the front sight. This alone helped my shooting tremendously, but putting the tape on the left lens feels like it took it to another level. Time will tell. :cheers:

I tried the tape trick and started missing my re-loads by like a 1/2 inch...

I put a small strip vertically on my left lense, with enough room at the top and bottom to still see. Maybe this will help with your reloads.

I switched from dot to iron 5 months ago, and I can see the sights lift now.. and when its back to battery. Calling shots for me is still a process. A conscious process.

I remember this 1 stage where I'm just watching the sights lift and go back, then for all instance, i thought, I am seeing what I need to see, why not call the next shot sooner, so i did. Well, it worked the most part. It needs a lot of work though. I know it will not happen in a snap. But it got me all excited. Something to work on..

I've done two things that really helped me: changed from a red FO to a green FO on the front sight, and probably more important, I started shooting with a small piece of scotch tape over the left lense of my eye glasses. I'm 54, normally wear progressive bifocals, and for shooting glasses I had a pair made with the left lens having a distance Rx and the right lens a near Rx - approx at the front sight. This alone helped my shooting tremendously, but putting the tape on the left lens feels like it took it to another level. Time will tell. :cheers:

So your are right eye dominant? And the right Rx was for the perfect vision on the front sight? Left Rx for target? I'm asking because I am very long sighted now, and perhaps losing some distance vision too. I was going to make an appt at eye doc to get some shooting glasses and your input is very interesting. How did you explain it to doc when you had them made? Are they standard glasses or wrap around 'shooting glasses'? Thanks for the help.

Molly

So your are right eye dominant? And the right Rx was for the perfect vision on the front sight? Left Rx for target? I'm asking because I am very long sighted now, and perhaps losing some distance vision too. I was going to make an appt at eye doc to get some shooting glasses and your input is very interesting. How did you explain it to doc when you had them made? Are they standard glasses or wrap around 'shooting glasses'? Thanks for the help.

Molly

Molly, Yes, right handed, right eye dominant. I explained the my doc I wanted a set of shooting glasses, the problem in not being able to focus on the front sight, and would a pair of glasses like this work. She was very receptive to the idea, and worked with me to get the glasses right. The right Rx was about 1.5" past the tip of my right index finger when in an isocolese free-style stance. This put the front sight in focus for my right eye. Left Rx was normal distance. Both single vision. Regular glasses with impact resistant lenses. I've noticed with these glasses, though they have helped my shooting tremendously, I wasnt getting a good of a sight picture as I thought I should (to be able to call my shots, etc) , so I tried the scotch tape on the left lense. This made HUGE difference. The older you get the harder it is for your eyes to focus on different things with both of them open, like the front sight. Good luck. :cheers: