Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which McMillan

STIGUY

Putting together a longer range rifle for target and hunting on a Rem. Barreled actions . Of all the avialablr stocks that McMillan has...which one should I buy. I am leaning toward the A4, due it looks and options. I would like an Adjustable cheekpiece and LOP,. Only the checkpoece is really important.

Also are these inletted to accept Badger Ordnana bottom metal?

If you have access, try diff ones. I have several McMillans and my most used is a rem 700 action in an A3. In prone, I find the vertical style of grip is best for me. As far as inletting goes, you can get them un-inletted and have them cut however you want. A good smith can work with whatever bottom metal you like. I have 2 Rem 700 with Badger Ord bottom metal and bolt handles and both are done nice. I do like how McMillan will custom mix colors in a swirl pattern. Good camo and scrathes don't matter. McMillan will lighten stocks upon request (Hollowed out and foam filled). McMillan has been slow sometimes, but I have always seen good product.

:cheers:

Sti guy, i would encourage you to look at manners composite stocks. They are very well respected in the precision shooting community, are priced actually cheaper than macmillans, and offer adjustable cheek pieces. One of their best features is the manners mini-chassis, which is a one piece badger bottom metal and bedding block all made into the stock that accepts aics mags. It offers a true bolt and go system for barreled actions, or you can bed it if you feel the need. Their website is mannersstocks.com. They have a 3 month wait, similar to macmillan. They also offer the same styles of stocks as macmillan. You can go to stockysstocks.com and find some of their stocks(primarily for rem 700 short actions)in stock available for immediate shipping. I have their t5 thumbhole stock and absolutely love it. Their t4 is very comparable to mac a3-5. I think jwprecision also has manners and macmillans in stock also. Good luck, greg

I have a Kimber 8400 Tactical with an A-5, and I really likike the stock, but I don't think I would use it on a hunting rifle except for maybe some really special circumstances. It's great from the bench or the prone, but it does not seem a special from off hand or the standing-braced position. For hunting I would rather have a lighter, more streamlined stock.

Sti guy, i would encourage you to look at manners composite stocks. They are very well respected in the precision shooting community, are priced actually cheaper than macmillans, and offer adjustable cheek pieces. One of their best features is the manners mini-chassis, which is a one piece badger bottom metal and bedding block all made into the stock that accepts aics mags. It offers a true bolt and go system for barreled actions, or you can bed it if you feel the need. Their website is mannersstocks.com. They have a 3 month wait, similar to macmillan. They also offer the same styles of stocks as macmillan. You can go to stockysstocks.com and find some of their stocks(primarily for rem 700 short actions)in stock available for immediate shipping. I have their t5 thumbhole stock and absolutely love it. Their t4 is very comparable to mac a3-5. I think jwprecision also has manners and macmillans in stock also. Good luck, greg

This is the ticket. My first custom stock was a McMillan, the last 3 have all been Manners with the mini-chassis. Bolt the action in, mount the scope, go shoot. The last one I put together from the time I unboxed it to first shot was under an hour.

I visited McM while on vacation in PHX a couple years ago, I went with a A5, 13.75 lop, adjustable cheek piece, decelerator pad, MTU barrel channel, BO m5 bottom metal, bipod stud and 4 flush cups, 33% black od green tan

1000433ru4.th.jpg

I didn't like the wrap around cheek piece for the A4, and the the forearm IMHO is more comfortable on the A5. Today I would buy a Manners T4a instead, the Terry Cross cheek piece hardware is second to none.

I've got a Rem-700 I'm thinking of re-stocking, and had been thinking about McMillan but now the Manners site has me intrigued.

What are the pro's and con's between the various styles? I'm familiar with the HS M24-style stock, it was okay didn't love it, but don't know how to choose between (for example) the Manners T4-A (M40-ish) or T5-A (thumbhole) styles.

Any hints on how to pick? I'd be using it for precision-rifle/sniper type matches....

I have the A5 with an adjustable LOP, adjustable cheekpiece, 6 flush cups and a stud. Mine is 70-80% green, with some light tan and black mixed in. I like the wide A5 front for resting it on bags if you're not shooting with a bipod. As far as I know, the pistol grip area is the same either way.

I've got a Rem-700 I'm thinking of re-stocking, and had been thinking about McMillan but now the Manners site has me intrigued.

What are the pro's and con's between the various styles? I'm familiar with the HS M24-style stock, it was okay didn't love it, but don't know how to choose between (for example) the Manners T4-A (M40-ish) or T5-A (thumbhole) styles.

Any hints on how to pick? I'd be using it for precision-rifle/sniper type matches....

How do you decide? Pretty much by feel and personal preference me thinks. Either one of those stocks are popular in those style comps. You might try posting a thread in the bolt action page at snipershide.com and see if there is anybody around you that has either of those stocks that would let you get behind them and test run them. The other thing you could do is call stockysstocks.com and talk to them. If you order one of their in stock stocks and try it out and dont like it, you can exchange it for the other. Obviously it would need to be returned in like new comdition, thats why i would say to call them first and let them know what you are wanting to do. If you order an out of stock atock from them, and they order it, you cannot return it, so give them a call. They were great people to order from as of a month ago.

A big part of deciding is hand postion. If prone, I find a hunting style like the M40ish to be tiring after a short period while a more vertical grip like an A3 is much mo better for me. The hunting style (to me) works great offhand and the straight grip is the choice for prone work. Personal preference applies here

FYI.....the "Hunting•" I was referring to involves sitting in a stand waiting for game to appear for food. There will not be carrying around of the gun.

When you consider the McMillan vs. Manners

they are comparatvely priced (as adjustable cheekpiece). The only pause I have is the confusing options. The Grav-Tec flush cups? I get some of these for the IR thing. (don't need, but looks cool). One of the things I really like about the MCmilluan is the texturing on the grip and forend areas . Are the Manners stocks textured similisrly?

I just looked at my Manners t5 and it does have some texturing, but it is probably subjectively only half as much texture as the Mcmillan, and maybe not even half as much. It's there, but not as pronounced as the McMillan. Manners website doesn't show to be able to add this option, although i have seen gunsmiths texture other stocks with texture like the Mcmillan. And after looking a little more, the manners t4, t3, t2, and t1 all do have that texture around the vertical part of the grip, as well as on the forend. My t5 only has the texture on the forend. I guess they figure if you can't get a grip with a thumbhole you need some help.

Well, this is just me speaking and I'm not your best authority, but generally speaking, bench rest rifles are everything a hunting rifle shouldn't be.

If you want a good general purpose stock then you might want to consider something lighter and simpler. An H-S Precision M24 stock. They are less expensive than the McMilland and Manners but for general purpose use, you don't really give up very much.

The adjustable cheek piece stocks are nice but tend to add quite a bit of weight and that's that last thing you want in a hunting rifle. If you want to add something for bench rest shooting, you can always put on a Karsten adjustable cheek piece.

That's allerll and good, but HS precision seems to be going "out of business". I intislly was going to get a Varmint stock from Cabellas as a gift (free). This model was disconttimuef. Looking at there website....everything desirablt was "out of stock.". These stocks avaialinily just seemed ludicrous. Let me know the ordering process and wait times etc. Not that these ate out of stock?

That's all weerll and good, but HS precision seems to be going "out of business".

??? First I've heard of it. They did make a huge PR blunder which I won't comment on a few years back, but I thought that was all water under the bridge.

They are a major supplier to several manufactures as well as the military which may effect availablilty. If they are going out of business, then some company has a windfall coming their way to fill the gap.

If you like the simplicity of the HR stock on the Remington 700P, I think there's a take off stock on sale at another forum for $225

Edited by Graham Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking Manners now given that I can get the stock and Badger in one package for $1K. Does the stock that come from Stcckystocks leave out any "must have" features of the Manners that would encourage me go directly to Manners and add options. The stocks seem

to be semi-custom with adjustable cheekpieces, Badger DBM installed and inletted for a specific action etc. I guess I was wondering about the flush cups etc? Is that worth the wait and hassle of dealing directly? Is anyone familiar with this option?

The only option i can comment on is the flush cups. Those are nice, but for me it was better to not have to wait and put the flush cups in myself. I dont remember the name of the cups and swivels i bought, but i will look when i get home. They are not hard to put in yourself, and there is a thread on snipershide with great instructions. If not, a gunsmith should be able to do it for 50 or less. The main options that i wanted were the flush cups and the bottom atlas pic rail, which are both things that you can easily add on yourself. You can order the rail from triadtactical or from atlas.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom makes a nice handle,but McMillan remains at the top of the heap. HS can't begin to hang.

Fixed combs and butts,trump anything that moves and I find zero love in my adjustable handles. For a Utilitarian Rifle of a #5 or greater contour,the A5 is my pick of the litter and I've M40A1's,HTG's,A2's,3's a 4 and a herd of 5's...as well as most of their Remmie Sporter patterns. The Remington Hunter is another viable option if talking #4 or better contour and the Sako Varmint is a nice pattern too.

While a fan of LW Rifles as a rule,I Hunt a herd of different patterns and have schlepped most of them. Folks are quick to throw too much barrel contour onto a build,under the misconception that they are more "accurate",which couldn't be further from the truth.

Not a big fan of the H&S stock that came with my old Rem 700PSS.

I AM a big fan of McMillan.

If the rifle is going to be eased for hunting IMHO just go with the old A-1 stock.

I have a Mac A-5 and although I have won with it I prefer the simple old A-1 now.

A lot less to have loosen or go wrong when outside.

JK

• 2 weeks later...

I own a couple of Mcmillians in a-4 config with adj cheek and lop. If I had it to do all over again I think I would go in the a-5 config as they are lighter and I also like the integral cheekpiece. Just my 2 cents worth.