Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 vs .45: Best all around for USPSA/IDPA/ICORE

EMTCurly

I've been out of shooting USPSA and IDPA or almost 2 years (wow)...the last few months before my self imposed furlough was with a Smith JM 625 (which I have since sold, and am now deeply regretting). I am wanting to return to competition shooting and definitively want to go back to using a revolver, although now I am not sure what caliber to begin with again.

Of course the 2 logical choices are .38/.357 and .45acp. What I'm NOT sure of are the specific advantages and disadvantages of each caliber. Any advice on what I should put under each heading for a pro and con?

Gregg

I shoot both and, in my opinion, the 45 has the advantages, assuming you are shooting major.

-- Short fat cartridge with a nice round nose bullet (45 ACP with 230gr RN) is much easier to get into the chambers than the long skinny 38.

-- Easier to make major with a 45 than a 38.

-- Moonclipped 45 vs speedloaders with a 38.

Not saying the 38 can not be competitive, I just think the 45 in a 625 removes some of the obstacles.

Remember than for IDPA you have to keep the barrel 4" or shorter, while USPSA has no restriction.

The most versatile revo for gun games would be a 4" .45acp, IMO. This is, of course, without any considerations toward what game you like more, what's more available in your area, what size gun you shoot best, cost to run, etc., etc. At the end of the day, these factors are important, too, and can play a big role in your selection.

Welcome back! :cheers:

Tom

If you want to be as competitive as possible in all 3 with one gun, it's gotta be a 4" 625. If USPSA was out of the picture, I'd go with a K-frame 38/357 and shoot IDPA SSR / ICORE retro/classic/whatever it's called now. Without IDPA, I'd go 5" 625. ICORE only, I'd shoot an 8 shot 627 in limited or open.

How competitive is your personality, and how competitive will your natural skills allow you to be? This may lead you to a .45, as it seems the .45 has the advantage in both sports, though it might be a very slim, if any, in IDPA???

I like the smaller grip of the K/L-frame more than the slightly larger N-frame. That could be a significant determinant.

The low recoil (especially in IDPA, PF = 105) and lower ammo cost of 38 is nice. The K frames are pretty cheap, too, and there are lots of them around. The N-frames are more pricey.

There seems to be a lot more (2:1 +/-) SSR (38 Special) shooters in IDPA than ESR (.45 ACP). Granted, there's very few of either, and you'll likely really only see the difference in attendance between the two become noticable at bigger santioned matches. However, even at local matches I've seen 4 SSR and no ESR show up. It's nice to have some direct competition and a few guys to compare prgoress against as well.

Are games the only consideration? As other uses might affect the decision as well.

Let's be honest, though....

Any attempt to pick just one revolver for USPSA and ICORE and IDPA is going to be a severe compromise for at least two of those games.

For USPSA, the easy top choice is the 5" 625 or 6"-6.5" 25-2, with the 5" 610 (and perhaps Josh's long-barreled 646) getting honorable mention.

For ICORE, the 8-shooters reign supreme, although you can get through pretty well with a USPSA rig and light loads.

For IDPA, you would want a 4" barreled 625 for ESR, and a 4" K- or L-frame .38/.357 for SSR.

Fortunately, competition revolvers are not terribly expensive. Those on a tight budget would be better off picking one gun/game for now, then start saving up for the next one, rather than settle on some sort of "jack of all trades, master of none" middle-ground.

Or so it seems to me.

EMT, a good 38 revo works well in ICORE. Light loads straighter trajectory is attainable and will work for IDPA if a 4 inch. And with a lot of practice and testing you can be competitive in USPSA. A 625 is easier to learn the reloading basics and is more forgiving. It works well in IDPA, albeit a heavier PF is needed, and can work for ICORE. The two games closest to you are IDPA and USPSA. With the prices on new revolvlers where it is it is a wash on what to pick. A good K frame may be a little less and I would recommend staying away form the 125 grain bullets as they can cause the forcing cone on the K frames to break if loading to 1000fps as a steady diet. ( Mine did) Depending on just how competitve you want to be will be a true element on which way you should go, for there is no one right revo for all the games. Trade offs are the norm for anything you choose. But get one and come and play. :cheers: later rdd

I have both, and try to shoot USPSA, Steel, and IDPA. If I had to choose just one I would have to say grab a 625. But a good deciding factor would be is do you reload?

If you end up shooting factory .45acp ammo then it wouldn't be so enjoyful. But I do like the fact that the moonclips make a reload easier, and I can pick up my brass all at once.

If money is an issue then I would go with a 686. The .38's are cheaper, and in ICORE you can shoot classic and not be at a disadvantage.