Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't we have more matches with just one division?

After shooting the ProAm I think we should have more matches with only one division. Obviously Tac Optics would be the one. You could have specialty matches for Open, TI, HI, and HO. Maybe run an all heavy match or all irons match. Surely this would be easier on the MD's and RM's. Why don't we do it more?

Sounds like a legitimate request- From A TAC OPTICS SHOOTER! :devil:

I love iron sights- but I don't think the match would fill if someone hosted an IRONS ONLY major match.

Heavy Metal only match???? I don't even know that my imagination is good enough to dream that one up....

Edited by Bryan 45

Tac-optics only would exclude a lot of equipment from a lot of shooters (and a lot of sponsors). Even the ProAm had Open. I did, however, come up with a three-division plan that I think would work great. It allowed more equipment sets to be competitive, and let HM shooters have more options.

3-division thread

I've shot even more Heavy Metal since I came up with this plan, and it appeals to me now more than ever. :devil:

DanO

My thought process was that we would get to see who the best of the best in each division would truely be. I want to venture into Open and HM some next season. But I don't want to stop shooting TO to do it. I also don't want to shoot against only 10-20 other competitors. I know several other people with the the guns and gear or that want to get the guns and gear to shoot the other divisions but don't want to miss the TO action.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Tac-optics only would exclude a lot of equipment from a lot of shooters (and a lot of sponsors).

DanO

+1 and there are a lot of talented niche shooters that would no longer have a division. (HM and iron master shooters come to mind)

Can you imagine the shakeup if everyone had to shoot HM/Lim? :lol:

You don't want us coming over to Tac Optics anyway. Can you imagine how fast Mr. Ray will be when everything is 4 times closer? :P

Ozark is definitely going to be fun this weekend with more than a few folks trying out a new division.

Edited by DyNo!

Alright Cameron, I let it slide the first time- but quit calling me MR Ray! I'm only about 10 years older than you, it's just the gray hair fooling you! :)

And Jesse- I have yet to cash any checks resulting from shooting. I'm like Pat Kelley- I've been in a bunch of shoot-offs, and lost them all! :)

I also shot irons on my rifle at the Pro-Am, but thanks to great target presentation I don't think it held me back. My miserable display of pistol skillz on the otherhand.....

That's another good point Senior Ray, if we had matches dedicated to HM or Irons or whatever the long range portions of the matches could be built specifically for those sighting systems. Heck for HM we could shoot out to 700 or even 800 yards since those .308 projectiles and ultra long range iron sight sight radius' can easily handle more LONG range.

The answer to the question lies within one's self. If you think you have the answer for a good match, put one on and see what happens. Some of us will try anything once... :surprise:

That's eactky what I'm thinking. But it sounds like the TO and HM guys are scared to shoot a scope. Mmmmwwwhaha

That's eactky what I'm thinking. But it sounds like the TO and HM guys are scared to shoot a scope. Mmmmwwwhaha

For a good enough match concept, they will overcome their fears, and then summarily beat me anyways. :roflol:

Jesse- why do you shoot TO? I expect the answers for why guys shoot TI or HM are similar- because that's what we find fun. Why do any of this if it's not fun? How does it improve the sport to force shooters to enter a divison in which they don't want to compete?

If we have a match with only TO, do we need to dumb down the stages w/ 4 moa targets and good visibility so us iron shooters can still compete?

Jesse- why do you shoot TO? I expect the answers for why guys shoot TI or HM are similar- because that's what we find fun. Why do any of this if it's not fun? How does it improve the sport to force shooters to enter a divison in which they don't want to compete?

If we have a match with only TO, do we need to dumb down the stages w/ 4 moa targets and good visibility so us iron shooters can still compete?

I don't shoot TO or HM because the divisions are too small. I enjoy shooting all of the divisions which us why I'm gonna build an Open shotgun an M14, an AR10, and I'm putting a prismatic on my backup rifle.

I think we would still use 2 MOA targets for optics but we wouldn't have to worry about backers or paint as much. For irons I would pump that up to 3-4 MOA to make the long stuff faster.

I'm not asking to force people to shoot TO. I'm suggestion division specific matches so we can ALL compete together.

I was hoping to hear more from the TO optics shooters to see if they would be interested in an all TI match. We just had the biggest match in the world and it filled instantly with TO shooters. I knew the Irons guys wouldn't want a match that excludes them but how about a match built specifically for them?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I don't shoot TO or HM because the divisions are too small. I enjoy shooting all of the divisions which us why I'm gonna build an Open shotgun an M14, an AR10, and I'm putting a prismatic on my backup rifle.

Jesse, The division being small. Why does that keep you away. You can always compare scores to TO after the. (part rhetorical sarcasm suggested)

Jay

because it would be like trying to get skeet shooters to shoot sporting clays...the best skeet shooters would be at a disadvantage against the best sporting clays shooters because its not their game. So its comparing apples and oranges. try to imagine Kurt shooting Open 3gun...wow, just wow... :goof:

The equipment is different, The load is different, everything is different.

That being said, how many out there would be willing to attend a HeMan rifle match at the NRA Whgittington Center? I have been considering having one, keep getting "pursuasion" from a few HeMan shooters I have talked to about it, and I am curious. Jesse, I'm not trying to hijack your thread thou... :D

jj

because it would be like trying to get skeet shooters to shoot sporting clays...the best skeet shooters would be at a disadvantage against the best sporting clays shooters because its not their game. So its comparing apples and oranges. try to imagine Kurt shooting Open 3gun...wow, just wow... :goof:

The equipment is different, The load is different, everything is different.

That being said, how many out there would be willing to attend a HeMan rifle match at the NRA Whgittington Center? I have been considering having one, keep getting "pursuasion" from a few HeMan shooters I have talked to about it, and I am curious. Jesse, I'm not trying to hijack your thread thou... :D

jj

Hi Jack away! This is exactly the sort of thing I was curious about. All the major matches are now filling up in seconds so why not have an alternative that broadens the sport.

LaRue did have a different HM rule set and I remember seeing more HM shooters that usually shoot other divisions. But I didn't shoot the match so I'm not sure what or why the did what they did.

The Topton 3Gun Team match has one division and fills up with around 65 teams. Rifles were allowed 2 optics and bipods, although few were used. Shotguns and pistols were limited to a maximum of 9 rounds at any time in the shotgun and 140MM mags for pistols and no optics or comps.

If the match is interesting, it will get shooters.

I plan to be at the one next year with a team and hope there will be others like it!

I can't imagine an irons only match, but an irons + HM match MIGHT get 100 entries. I really think there should be 4-5 divisions and things ran well at LaRue this year and likely will at Ozark.

I would like to see one big prize table where shooters go by percentage of the division winner (like LaRue).