Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bending shotgun barrel to POA

Jin

The mayor has proclaimed it, it shall now be the law of the land. 20ga cyl bore is the new calibration standard for all shotgun steel! This is great news, but how will the double spinners at Ironman be calibrated?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jesse, where do come up with these pearls of wisdom? I have never in my life heard or read in any rule set that the "calibration" gun was a 20 gage with a cylinder choke....or lack of choke in this case. Help me out, where did this come from?

Its common sensical!!!

20 gauge is the minimum allowable gauge isn't it? Do they use a 410? Are you trying to tell me that my nephew can come shoot with his 20 gauge 870 smooth bore gun but everything will be calibrated for the Kurt Miller special 12 gauge with a Light Mod choke?

What is it then, all knowing shotgun god? If I'm wrong correct me don't be an a$$.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Nice info. :)

I was on shotgun training session for 2 days and my M1 was piece of crap with slugs.

On 50 meter POI was 20" low and right. I needed to aim left upper corner way pass the target to hit the target in the middle.

Very hard to get popper down on 50m. :(

My wife had the M2 version and hits were right in the middle on same distance with same slugs.

Maybe I need to smack my M1 against the wood also or throw it on the nearest lake.

Jesse, where do come up with these pearls of wisdom? I have never in my life heard or read in any rule set that the "calibration" gun was a 20 gage with a cylinder choke....or lack of choke in this case. Help me out, where did this come from?

This really pisses me off. You will come on the forum to busy my balls but not answer the original question. Why even waste our time?

From the USPSA Shotgun Rule Book.

APPENDIX C1

Target Calibration and Testing

1. The Range Master must designate a specific supply of ammunition and one or more shotguns to be used as official calibration tools by officials autho- rized by him to serve as testing officers. Calibration gun will be a 12 gauge.

Test Gun Specification:

Maximum barrel length – (26 inches). True cylinder or open choked barrel. Any action type.

Test Cartridge Specification: For Birdshot Stages

Birdshot – “A maximum of 2 3⁄4 dram velocity and 1 1/8oz, shot size for test ammo should be no larger than 7 1/2”

For Buckshot Stages

Buckshot – “Reduced recoil” power rating and a “maximum of nine 00 pellets”

For Slug Stages

“Reduced recoil” power rating and a “maximum of 1oz.”

You are at least half right Jesse as far a USPSA in concerned. Cylinder Choke.

Calm down Mr. Mayor I was just trying to see how things work down at city hall (how your mind works)I certainly didn't mean to raise your ire, nor blood pressure, however to respond to your response. Yours was a statement.

" 17-18 is abou as far as most matches will make u use shot because a 20 gauge cylinder note gun won't knock over steel that far away and that is supposed to be the calibration gun."

USPSA and I.P.S.C. do indeed spec out a shotgun "calibration" gun, and ALSO a Calibration load for that same shotgun. For I.P.S.C. it is a 12 gage shotgun with a true cylinder choke with a 26"/66cm barrle, with a load of 1 ounce of shot #7 or smaller at less than 1300 fps or a power factor of 480 ( as per lattest edition IPSC rules) They also spec out the load requiered for Buck shot as well as slug. USPSA loosely follows this.

Now for other matches I have seen them shoot the offending piece of steel with a 9mm handgun, I have seen them use a 12 gage cylinder gun, and I have even seen them use the competitor,s gun with the ammo he is shooting, but no where have a seen a 20 gage used, nor have I ever seen it in print in any rule set as the "calibration gun". As one of the most respected shooters in the industry, people look up to you and learn from you, and you ought to be a bit more accurate on their behalf.

As for the tardyness of my reply, I appologise, I was doing something else and was not hovering over my key board in anticipation of a much needed reply.

Having just run a USPSA LII MG match, I had to explain this about a dozen times.

USPSA (currently) has this rule for Multi-Gun:

MG9.1.4 Knock down style targets (i.e. poppers) must fall to score. Poppers will be calibrated using the designated handgun and the calibration ammunition. The shot must be fired from a minimum of 10 yards as specified in Appendix C1.

It does not matter if it is a rifle, shotgun or pistol popper or the distance, they are to be shot with a 9mm minor pistol from 10 yards. We had shotgun poppers out at 28 yards.

My calibration "kit" was a M&P with 122 PF 9mm (121 to 124 PF over 8 chronos).

If you have a shotgun only match, then PK's response is what is to be used.

JJ, after watching the entire video, would you say that popper calibration was as important to you as say, a wax banana, or corpulent man in a toga? At this years RM3G will you be calibrating the steel with a 20 ga, or a 9mm? And will you be sporting a black leather vest and chaps while doing so? I do think that I finally understand where Mr. Miller came up with the distinctive style of his facial hair. So many questions, I will watch the hockey game tonight, drink beer, and ponder these things, I recommend that everyone else do the same. The answers will become clear soon enough.

SMM3G Rule 6.1.6.2: Shotgun targets will be calibrated with a 20 gauge shotgun, barrel length not to exceed 26", factory 2-1/2 dram, 7/8 oz 7-1/2 or #8 shot. It is a coach gun, kicks like a mule.

Edited by Rookie