Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MSAR STG556

Vermilion

Anyone else shoot a STG556 (not E4) in 3Gun? Ar15's are good and all but, I like to be different. Was just wondering what you use for mag pouches for the STG556 mags. I currently run an older style Aimpoint on mine but, was thinking of trying to find one of the MSAR 1.5x scopes.

Lemme know how it runs for you.

I shot one in a little short range local match just for kicks once. Personally I wouldn't do it again. Bullpup triggers don't ever seem to be even halfway decent. Mag changes are much slower. It was a neat little toy but not very well suited to this game. But hey, I know a guy who runs AKs just because he likes to have a good time with them. If it works for you, go for it. I'm not sure about mag pouches, My bet is any of the nylon type should work fine. Brownell's has some from Tuff brand.

I had an STG556 when they first came out. I got to be good buddys with the folks at MSAR, especially the guy over returns and repairs. I explained to him that I was considering trying to use this rifle for 3-gun matches and he sent me a "modified" trigger pack for it. It was really smooth and a lot shorter than a standard trigger...maybe 4 or 5 pounds at the most. I ran it in a couple local matches, and had great success with it...also running an Aimpoint. I even got a free upgrade to a E4 (that accepts AR mags) stock when they became available !!!

As a matter of fact, I traded it to another member here.....which I still regret to this day !!!!! :mellow:

I had hoped to carry it on-duty, but I never felt 100% confident with it. I never had any real trouble out of it, but it just wasn't as comforting as an AR.

AND...............History repeats itself:

"Anyone else shoot a STG556 (not E4) in 3Gun?"

The AUG was the Granddaddy rule-beater and game changer rifle, forever changing the face of 3-gun.

SOF rules stated that rifles must be "of a military type or copy", add-on scopes were unheard of (not "standard issue"), and along comes the AUG with an INTEGRAL OPTIC: Issued Military Gun.

OMG, big consternation all around.

Some said "wait a minute, what about these new ACOG's and the old Colt handle mount scope?" "Can't we use these as "some" military use can be shown?" (apparently, a sly attempt to overcome the "huge" advantage of a 2X donut reticle scope on a mushy 6# trigger pull bullpup rifle with awkward ergonomics).

.....which led to the SOF approved scope list, different weight limits for scoped and unscoped rifles, and ultimately, "scope-sighted rifles shall be scored seperately from iron sighted rifles on stages involving the rifle".

Viola......(and a few years)......Tactical Scope Class!!!!

ericm

I used one for an entire season. The only true snag I remeber was a stage where we had to shoot around a barricade lefty and righty. I burned my lips doing lefty...badly. Ergo's are awesome tucking the rifle into the shooter helping control recoil. Yes triggers were never good but you dig around you'll find ways to fix it.....I did lol Had it down to 5lbs with little travel :-) And sometimes the forward grip worked with rooftop shooting as an anchor lol

Yeah shooting the rifle left handed with it setup for right handed is recipe for disaster. I buddy shot mine left handed and I didn't think about it and a shell popped him in the lip hard enough to bust it. I've got an OLD post ban bushmaster ar15 that I might try to find an upper for. Gear and accessories would be a lot better haha.

What about an FS2000?

No worries about lefty shooting, it ejects out the bottom. VERY different.

The stock trigger is like a power drill's trigger. Other than that, I had no complaints with mine (When I had it - I sold all my toys except for two).

The accuracy was on par with a 16" rack grade AR (3-4 MOA). The recoil impulse was sharp but the platform was controllable and would probably be pretty flat with a good comp.

Edited by DyNo!

What about an FS2000?

Not the bottom. It pushes brass forward and it dribbles out the front. Looks really weird to see someone take a few shots and no brass comes out.

What about an FS2000?

Not the bottom. It pushes brass forward and it dribbles out the front. Looks really weird to see someone take a few shots and no brass comes out.

Realized after I posted I got the ejection confused with the PS90.

does the dribbly ejection cause problems?

What about an FS2000?

No.

It was even more weird to take one shot and see 6 pieces of brass pop out. :roflol:

The weapon was very reliable but if it ever did have an issue, you would need special tools to clear it.

I probably had only one malfunction out of 2000 rounds and never cleaned the gas system.

Edited by DyNo!

What about an FS2000?

No.

It was even more weird to take one shot and see 6 pieces of brass pop out. :roflol:

The weapon was very reliable but if it ever did have an issue, you would need special tools to clear it.

I probably had only one malfunction out of 2000 rounds and never cleaned the gas system.

+1 on the weirdness. It does however leave a nice trail of brass to follow since they just fall out. Neat gun if you needed a rifle in ver confined spaces but again, not good for these games. Plus it looks like something out of a sci fi movie. ;)

I have read that Ratworx does have a trigger pack that used AR-15 parts which gets rid of the crappy trigger problem (I think for about 200.00). With this new trigger pack out I really have considered looking for a used AUG or MSAR within my price range to get (Too bad CDNN is out of the 899.00), around here where I live two stores have some and they are going between 1300.00-1700.00 firm (They have had them for over 2yrs but they won't budge on price) as well as the local classifieds people are asking MSRP and not budging.

I think it would be a handy platform for certain courses.

Weird, a year or two ago places couldn't get rid of em and were on sale for crazy low prices. Now it seems they are harder to find and command extremes. Maybe its a good time to resell hahaha. Though I've ALWAYS wanted an AUG style firearm and I finally have one, I think I'll hang onto mine for now even if I decide to not use it in 3 Gun.