Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8-shot moonclip holders

gr7070

What are my options for a moonclip holder for the 8-shot 627 moonclips? I'd like to dabble in USPSA and similar games.

Thanks in advance.

North Mountain, Austin's moon clip server, Speed-e-rack, and Apex Tactical has one. Popularity seems to be regional. They all have their charms/advantages. None will hurt you any.

Thanks for the suggestions. I presume all of these are reasonable quality or they wouldn't have been offered up.

Also, can I use all of the four holders with a leather belt or will I need a game belt for some of these? I turn my belt so the buckle is near my hip when I need extra room in front on the belt. Just want to make sure this would work.

And this is a 38 spl, so thanks for the clarification on what posts to look for.

Edited by gr7070

Looks like the North Mountain might be the one I prefer. None are cheap, but it's not the most expensive. I like that it takes up less real estate - that also makes for less reaching around.

Anything else I need to think about please let me know.

Looks like the North Mountain might be the one I prefer. None are cheap, but it's not the most expensive. I like that it takes up less real estate - that also makes for less reaching around.

did you look at the california competition works 8 shot fmc holders $15.00 each come in 4 colors! www.demooner.com also make loaders and demooners

North mountain is the way to go. I have one rack that I use for my 625, 627 38 super, and my 610. Thats a pretty good deal.

did you look at the california competition works 8 shot fmc holders $15.00 each come in 4 colors! www.demooner.com also make loaders and demooners

Isn't California Competition Works the company that produces S&W 617 speedloaders that are unbelievably close to the DS-10 speedloaders? If so, I'll pass.

North Mountain is it. Thanks all for the input!

That rack will work OK if you have carbon steel moon clips but magnets don't work very well with the stainless moon clips. They will grab the stainless Hearthco moons very lightly and if you run you will lose most of your moon clips. Carbon steel moon clips will stick very well to the magnets.

Isn't California Competition Works the company that produces S&W 617 speedloaders that are unbelievably close to the DS-10 speedloaders? If so, I'll pass.

North Mountain is it. Thanks all for the input!

Good choice on the North Mountain, you can't go wrong with it. And yes, the CCW "original" model was a picture perfect copy of the DS-10

That rack will work OK if you have carbon steel moon clips but magnets don't work very well with the stainless moon clips. They will grab the stainless Hearthco moons very lightly and if you run you will lose most of your moon clips. Carbon steel moon clips will stick very well to the magnets.

I second this notion as I have the Johnson Precision Mag Rack for my 45 ACP competition 625. However I don't have a problem of them ever falling off the rack, even if I'm running. But I do agree that they don't stick as well as the carbon steel moons. Perhaps they stick even less on the 8 shot clip versus my 6 shot clip. Otherwise, a great piece of gear that I really like.

I love my Johnson Precision rack. I have the rack for an 8 shooter and use stainless Hearth Co clips. The guys I know that use the Johnson rack with the steel moons are putting a piece of material between the magnet and the moon to buffer the strength of the magnet because it holds the moons to well. I will say I have never tried a North Mountain so I really can't compare.

I'm just starting icore & uspsa. I have the 4 post unit. I load with my weak hand and it feels easier for me having the clips close together.I also have a single post I keep behind the centerline on my weak side. Hope this helps.

Just picked up the North Mountain 4-post longs and a single long post for a 625 and 627, I had a Speed-E rack which was traded for these as the Speed-E rack was made for the 627 and posts were too fat for the .45ACP rounds. So the NM rack can be dual purpose.

Bought a 617 rack too and Robert shipped pretty quick to boot, I wonder if Robert would be interested in making a few knife sheaths... :)

Just picked up the North Mountain 4-post longs and a single long post for a 625 and 627, I had a Speed-E rack which was traded for these as the Speed-E rack was made for the 627 and posts were too fat for the .45ACP rounds. So the NM rack can be dual purpose.

Bought a 617 rack too and Robert shipped pretty quick to boot, I wonder if Robert would be interested in making a few knife sheaths... :)

Good choice. Having one rack for all your guns is pretty sweet. If I ever turn gay, I'm going to ask Bob to marry me. He is dreamy....

Good choice. Having one rack for all your guns is pretty sweet. If I ever turn gay, I'm going to ask Bob to marry me. He is dreamy....

Getting a little deep here.....

An 8 shoot 627 in USPSA, good luck with that!

Hello open.

I haven't seen many revo shooters that have not at some time or other pulled the trigger an extra time

or 2. With a 6 shooter it just goes click but with a 8 shot it goes bang. Then you know where that puts you!