Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning a CZ into an Open Gun questions

enutees

Check with "kaiserb" to see if he still has that barrel for sale. I don't think he's sold it.

Justaute, I would love if EFK had them in stock. It would ease my conversion quite a bit. I spoke with Bobby Carver about just mounting one of his comps on an extended barrel and he said it would work fine. I just need the extended barrel is the only problem.

shooterbenedetto, I'm not too worried about the resale value. If the worst came and I needed to sell it I could sell all the components pretty easily and the only hit I would worry about would be the barrel and comp. I did email Jimmy Vidanes and haven't heard back from him. I have a few other guys that I think are going to give it a try for me though. I'm waiting to finalize some details and hopefully I can get it started..

Justaute, I would love if EFK had them in stock. It would ease my conversion quite a bit. I spoke with Bobby Carver about just mounting one of his comps on an extended barrel and he said it would work fine. I just need the extended barrel is the only problem.

shooterbenedetto, I'm not too worried about the resale value. If the worst came and I needed to sell it I could sell all the components pretty easily and the only hit I would worry about would be the barrel and comp. I did email Jimmy Vidanes and haven't heard back from him. I have a few other guys that I think are going to give it a try for me though. I'm waiting to finalize some details and hopefully I can get it started..

I couldnt resist. so i'm selling my CZ to help fund my World shoot expense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just me rambling..

TS, SP01 Shadow or 75SA would be good choices you have a thicker slide side to side so it will not get too thin when mating things up.

Will need to get hold of a 6" barrel or cut your slide to be able to thread your barrel.

Have you talked with Jimmy Vidanes in California, believe he was the builder of one the comp guns that was posted here or Eric Zinn, he works with Angus.

For the moment I have a TS 9mm top end, that is in the shop waiting for my gunsmith to cut and see what can he can build for a open top end. :D

Any updates/pictures of this?

I've been thinking of building one of my Tac Sports into an open gun as well, but not sure if its worth the money or if I just get a Czechmate instead.

Just me rambling..

TS, SP01 Shadow or 75SA would be good choices you have a thicker slide side to side so it will not get too thin when mating things up.

Will need to get hold of a 6" barrel or cut your slide to be able to thread your barrel.

Have you talked with Jimmy Vidanes in California, believe he was the builder of one the comp guns that was posted here or Eric Zinn, he works with Angus.

For the moment I have a TS 9mm top end, that is in the shop waiting for my gunsmith to cut and see what can he can build for a open top end. :D

Any updates/pictures of this?

I've been thinking of building one of my Tac Sports into an open gun as well, but not sure if its worth the money or if I just get a Czechmate instead.

sorry nothing yet..we've been setting up sight cuts on a couple of Shadow slides ( Tripp and Heinie ) and turning out some trigger jobs.

I am hoping he can get to this as I am kind of getting anxious to play with something new.

sorry nothing yet..we've been setting up sight cuts on a couple of Shadow slides ( Tripp and Heinie ) and turning out some trigger jobs.

I am hoping he can get to this as I am kind of getting anxious to play with something new.

After talking to a couple of different companies it sounds like getting a comp on a TS will get kinda pricey..

Maybe just porting it will be enough, since I'll mostly shoot minor anyway.

they also have 26 round mags for the spo1 the but they are only cut for left side mag release if you are left handed you are out of luck...

AFAIK, those are too long to use in Open without modifications.

Really? Oops... all my mags are MecGar +2. I thought the factory 18-rd and MecGar+2 mags have the same length.

Did you have 19 in the mag, or did the mag not fit in the box?

The mag made the gun to big for the box. CZ SP01 mags are fine...MecGar with +2...apparently not. :surprise:

I apologize for topic-drift.

Just took a couple of measurements with my Shadow and MecGar +2 magazine inserted. Could someone who has factory 18-round mags take similar measurements? Thanks.

1. Front Strap: bottom of magwell to bottom of magzine is approximately 0.8" or 20.3 mm (there is a small gap)

2. Front Strap: If I push the mag all the way in, then the measurement is ~0.73" or 18.6mm

Just took a couple of measurements with my Shadow and MecGar +2 magazine inserted. Could someone who has factory 18-round mags take similar measurements? Thanks.

1. Front Strap: bottom of magwell to bottom of magzine is approximately 0.8" or 20.3 mm (there is a small gap)

2. Front Strap: If I push the mag all the way in, then the measurement is ~0.73" or 18.6mm

The factory base pads are 13.6mm, add maybe 1mm gap and youre looking at ~14.6mm, 15mm tops

Thanks. I may have gotten lucky. The inner dimensions of the Production box are 8.938" x 6 & 1.625". As my Shadow has an adjustable sight, which can be pushed down, I may have skirted by 1/10th of an inch.

The factory base pads are 13.6mm, add maybe 1mm gap and youre looking at ~14.6mm, 15mm tops

Edited by justaute

My gunsmith Rodger Kotanko (in Canada) built several Open guns on SP-01 platform. If I am not mistaken one of those guns is currently exhibited at CZ factory museum.

Dang...we need photos of them!

My options so far are: rebuild a TS, rebuild an SP01, buy a Czechmate...

The Czechmate seems to be the most expensive, followed by the TS rebuild, Since I'll mostly shoot minor anyway, it might be enough to just port a TS, which will probably be cheaper than going the full conversion. Or I go for an SP01 build, which seems to be a proven way, but I kinda want an Open TS.

Too many choices...

I'd probably be more inclined to get a Czechmate if I could get it without the scope and mount, since I would replace those anyway.

Edited by gose