Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Needs Paint

saibot

My M&P is quickly approaching 12k rounds and is running great but the front sight is looking pretty bad. The bright white paint is dirty and needs to be repainted and I thought I'd ask you all if you've done yours and if you had any advice, tips, or tricks you'd care to share.

Thanks!

I use blue masking tape, and mask all I wish to not see with gun in hand looking at front sight. Then, I clean with finger nail polish remover, or laquer thinner. Then apply whatever shade I find is perfect for my eyes on the polish isle at Wallgreens. Finger nail polish is pretty durable. You can get whatever shade you choose. You can reapply easily, and you can take it off with remover easily. You want flat black? Flat black testors in the little small jar is easy to keep. This has allowed me to come up with some good combos that my eyes like better than any fiber or three dot system.

JZ

I found that the small automotive touch up bottles of paint like the ones you can buy at walmart or any parts store work great. I have tried the sight paint out of midway and it isnt nearly as tough

First try cleaning the dot with some alcohol and a q tip. if that does not brighten it up get some white paint and a toothpick. dip the toothpick into the paint to get a drop on the tip. apply the the tip to the dot and let it flow evenly. let dry. if the dot is not round due to excess paint overflowing the dot, just get some thinner and a napkin and LIGHTLY rub off the excess from the edges.

Good suggestion on cleaning it! I was getting it ready to paint and all of the black that I thought was missing paint was just crud on it. A little bit of work with alcohol and a toothpick and it's like new again. I love it when things are easy. :)

Thanks, all.

As others have said...use a toothpick to apply white under whatever color your prefer.

Also, I've heard that florescent fishing lure paint works wonders for a small dot on front sight.

Pics of that by any chance?

I've used "Bright Sights" gun sight coating/paint, which I picked up from my local gun shop. Brownells also sells it. It worked great. I tried to post a link, but I received an error message due to being new with a low post count. Good luck.