Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uspsa for a beginner

johniac7078

Hi All: I have a quick question. I am interested in shooting USPSA, with my glock 22. I live in MA, so it is a PAIN to get high cap mags. Am i right in thinking I can shoot L10? Is this a reasonable division for amateurs or is it for the big guns? I dont ming either way, just curious if different divisions attract different level shooters. Also how many mags do you typically need for a match? I shoot IDPA regularly, but this will be new. thanks.

I am interested in shooting USPSA, with my glock 22. I live in MA, so it is a PAIN to get high cap mags. Am i right in thinking I can shoot L10? Is this a reasonable division for amateurs or is it for the big guns? I dont ming either way, just curious if different divisions attract different level shooters. Also how many mags do you typically need for a match? I shoot IDPA regularly, but this will be new. thanks.

You can compete in the USPSA Limited-10 Division with ten round magazines, either major or minor power factor. Your Glock model 22 is a fine pistol for both IDPA and USPSA matches B)

I suggest that you go to the USPSA website, they have all the information that you need there...

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-about-getting-started.php

Besides shooting Limited (if you can find the mags) or L-10, you could also shoot Production, which you would not be at quite the disadvantage in like you would be in Limited or L-10. For either L-10 or Production, I would suggest at least 4 mags (many stages are 32 round count, so with 4, you can't miss too much), but 5-6 would be much better. You would also need a holster, belt, and mag holders, unless you can use your IDPA rig. With Production, if you reload your own ammo, since everyone is scored minor, regardless of caliber, you can make that 40 shoot almost as soft if not as soft a 9mm (I know this for true, as I ran a 40 in Production for a while)...So, you would be on an absolute even playing field with just about everyone else out there...

I suggest that you go to the USPSA website, they have all the information that you need there...

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-about-getting-started.php

Besides shooting Limited (if you can find the mags) or L-10, you could also shoot Production, which you would not be at quite the disadvantage in like you would be in Limited or L-10. For either L-10 or Production, I would suggest at least 4 mags (many stages are 32 round count, so with 4, you can't miss too much), but 5-6 would be much better. You would also need a holster, belt, and mag holders, unless you can use your IDPA rig. With Production, if you reload your own ammo, since everyone is scored minor, regardless of caliber, you can make that 40 shoot almost as soft if not as soft a 9mm (I know this for true, as I ran a 40 in Production for a while)...So, you would be on an absolute even playing field with just about everyone else out there...

thanks, never thought of it!

Besides shooting Limited (if you can find the mags) or L-10, you could also shoot Production, which you would not be at quite the disadvantage in like you would be in Limited or L-10. For either L-10 or Production,

Why would someone be at a disadvantage with a glock in limited or L-10??

Both divisions have been won at nationls by a shooter using one.

MDA

Besides shooting Limited (if you can find the mags) or L-10, you could also shoot Production, which you would not be at quite the disadvantage in like you would be in Limited or L-10. For either L-10 or Production,

Why would someone be at a disadvantage with a glock in limited or L-10??

Both divisions have been won at nationls by a shooter using one.

MDA

Though you are right, and good shooters with a production gun can compete with the big dogs, a beginning shooter might become discouraged if he is constantly shooting 21% of the rest of the class. You have to start somewhere, but I wouldn't enjoy starting against 5k dollar race guns. Just my opinion.

since you shoot IDPA, I would go production, similar equipment rules. Oh an the mags you want arent "Hicap" they are standard cap, we need to quit using the term "hicap" for a standard capacity flush fit magazine.