Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solid reloading bench . . .

Pro2AInPA

I bought a heavy duty work table from sams club that was around $200 (had a thick butchers block top on it). It works pretty well...

If I had it to do over, I'd build one from 4x4s, several 2x10s and 1" plywood. You can build one sturdier, custom size it, and save money. I built my garage work bench that way. All depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it....

this thread has a lot of good images, ideas, etc...

Edited by HS101

• 3 weeks later...

My bench was rescued from a "going out of business" sale at a local truck shop. It was built for them by a local carpenter. The legs are 4X4 posts, the rest of the framing is 2X4s, lag bolted together. The top is a full sheet of 3/4 plywood. It weighs a ton, and was well worth the $50.00 I paid for it. I have also used a Craftsman work bench from Sears. It's made of sheetmetal, with a metal covered 3/4 in particle board top. It was about $100.00. Either one is heavy enough to work for reloading, but I prefer the wooden one because it's so much larger and much heavier.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't found a solution for your bench yet.... here's a quick write up with some basic plans/pictures that I wrote up for what works for me. Like others have said once you stack enough stuff on the bottom shelf any bench gets pretty sturdy.

http://garagegunsmithing.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=54&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=17&t=525&start=0

-Steve

Here is mine, its not bolted to the wall, but it is fairly heavy duty.

6 x 6 legs, with 2 x 6 band boards. 2 layers 3/4 mdf and a top layer of 3/4 a-c plywood.

About 300 bucks for the materials including all-thread, lags and polyurethane. Completely modular too so if some gorilla wants to move it, they can.

post-8435-0-78683600-1315959376_thumb.jp