Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hearing the steel

Not that I am not guilty of this but... you shouldn't wait around to hear the steel.  This will cost you time.  As I said I have been guilty of listening for it too (the electronic ears do help you hear it) but I do much better when I shoot it and move on to the next target.

-jhgtyre

Somebody check my math...

If shooting a bullet at ~960fps, a typical speed for a 40 shooting Major, at steel set at 25 yards...it will take near 0.08 seconds for the bullet to hit the steel.  It will take the sound (at 1116 ft/sec) nearly 0.07 seconds to return.  That totals up to 0.15 seconds.  (don't forget some reaction/nervous system time)

At 11 yards...it will take ~0.064 seconds.

Any way ya cut it...listening for steel slows a shooter down.  Calling the shot...yeaaah...that's the ticket.

"Calling the shot...yeaaah...that's the ticket."

Yea, it's funny how it all works - miss the steel, gun leaves the target, "hear the miss," (which is "why" you missed the target, because you didn't call the shot), gun returns to the target.

be

Brian,

When shooting steel, do you shoot a follow-up shot if the sights weren't to your liking at the time of your shot, or do you continue shooting one shot per target, and then return for any misses. I find that sometimes I didn't hear the hit while making a transition even if I thought I had a good sight picture, and then return for another shot.  Sometimes I just didn't hear it, sometimes I just missed.

(Brian Enos impersonation mode on)

If the sights were'nt to your liking, why did you take the shot?

(BEIM off)

If you see what you need to see for the shot required, and call the shot, you can't miss. That means no make -up shots.

Must be nice huh?

Myself, I still look and listen for hits on hard targets, and call shots on easy targets....But I'm working on it.

I can call my misses, which might mean I'm calling my shots.

Still working,

SA

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 11:25 am on July 22, 2002)

Steve (et al)

I guess what I said wasn't exactly what I meant.  I am talking about Steel Challenge speeds.  Sometimes I have a good sight picture at target acquisition, but when the shot actually breaks, I can see that I moved off of the target (or think that I can see that). Hell, I think that even TGO missed one a few years ago......

It's so hard at a Match like the Steel Challenge, for me, to not go into "habit mode." Which seems to directly relate to how long I've shot the same courses of fire. Whether I just got out of my car (from driving to CA), or because of shooting the same courses for 20 years. Without exception, all my best stages in that match came when, for some reason, I was able to discard ALL my previous conditioning/training and just shoot what I saw by way of the sights.

be

Does that mean that calling shots can hapen subconsciously?

I'm guessing that it can and does...

My thing is that I'm just trying to read the sights and control the trigger on every target, and more so as distance increases.

Just like old shooter, I am aware of misses before I hear them, but maybe not aware or TRUSTING of hits if I don't hear them.

Maybe I'm afraid to trust my perception of the shot.

(I'm guessing that's it!)

Then again, who has time in a 2.5 - 3 second run to think about anything?

SA

Here's a funny one.. I was practicing some port-to-port movement yesterday.. One of the ports had me leaving on an 8" plate at about 10 yards.  On my first run, I shot the paper, then shot what I thought was a solid hit on the steel and moved out.. halfway along the barricade I hadn't heard the steel so I stopped and went back and looked.  Sure enough, a hit dead-center on the plate.  Somehow this particular plate makes about zero noise.  I didn't hear it all afternoon.

(Edited by shred at 9:56 am on July 24, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

How about this one:  Shooting steel has always been "hit or miss" for me.  Some days I have it some days I don't... 99% of the time my misses are due to trying to go too fast because I "think" I can shoot that fast.  I find that I'll call my miss, but my mind is saying "wait you might hear the ding"... even if I know I'm off by a bunch, I still hope to hear something and see it fall.  What the hecks going on?  Something I just have to break.  Our range just started a Steel Challenge club, I look forward to shooting Steel Challenge for the first time this Saturday.

I always find steel targets more fun to shoot at because of the audible response I get when I hit it. However, I can't seem to shake the thought that spending too much time shooting it may "degrade" my accuracy? Most steel targets in our club are the mini popper type and I rig them to keep them from falling when hit (ok, I'm too lazy to reset them back after each string.)  I realized that vertical acuracy usually suffers when shooting them since "I know" I'll still hit them even when my sights are a bit low or high.  OTOH, treating them as round plates (hitting only the circular portion) makes me pause at each target longer.  When using these steel target do you guys still strive for "A-zone" shots or center hits during practice? Thanks.

Unlike you, I do not rig my steel so it will not fall.  What good does it do you if it is not calibrated and falling?  The walk to reset the steel can be contemplative in that you can determine why it did not fall, etc.

Again I do not see the benefit if it does not fall and you wait for the sound.

tightloop said:

Steel is about trusting your sight picture.

Right on!  See what you gotta see to hit the steel...and know it!  If you wait for the sound...you have lost up to a tenth of a second per target (+ reaction time).  If you wait to see the steel fall...your not even in the hunt.  

I think a better stategy is to take an extra fragment of time to ensure that you have called the shot.  Knowing seems much faster than hoping or waiting.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 10:28 am on Aug. 13, 2002)