Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Measuring Mags

jrbet83

I tried using a dial caliper but my mags don't seem to be anywhere close to 140mm I am not 100% sure how to actually measure them. I have tuned mags so I should be good but I hate to take the chance... :cheers:

I said the same thing - unfortunately I bought mine used and the previous owner added a chunk of skateboard tape to the bottom cover of the mag. And *poof* that was enough to not let them settle in the guide. I said, "that's not possible, they're tuned blahda ----" Anyway, click the links provided by ima45dv8 and order... then you will know before going to a match if you are legal and STILL legal after you drop them 100 times.

I firmly believe that a gauge is a must-have. Machinist's Rules, calipers, and the such don't work well enough to make me risk shooting an un-compensated, iron-sighted Glock 35 in Open. I am rather adventurous, but not THAT adventurous....

I refer to SNLs as TDFs ("They Don't Fit"). I have yet to gauge a factory STI or SV tube that fit the gauge with SNLs on them WITHOUT SOME MODIFICATION. Some of them weren't even close, as in "You can't file that much off and still have an enclosed bottom". OTOH, my 140s with regular pads fit with plenty of room to spare. Only 19 rounds, but I wouldn't panic at inspection for the sake of one more round.

I've done both old and new mags of both brands. Haven't tried an SPS yet.

I also found that Arredondo Glock +5 pads wouldn't fit until the checkering was filed off and the XD-Ms with the pretty anodized aluminum extended pads are VERY VERY close.

I firmly believe that a gauge is a must-have. Machinist's Rules, calipers, and the such don't work well enough to make me risk shooting an un-compensated, iron-sighted Glock 35 in Open. I am rather adventurous, but not THAT adventurous....

I refer to SNLs as TDFs ("They Don't Fit"). I have yet to gauge a factory STI or SV tube that fit the gauge with SNLs on them WITHOUT SOME MODIFICATION. Some of them weren't even close, as in "You can't file that much off and still have an enclosed bottom". OTOH, my 140s with regular pads fit with plenty of room to spare. Only 19 rounds, but I wouldn't panic at inspection for the sake of one more round.

I've done both old and new mags of both brands. Haven't tried an SPS yet.

I also found that Arredondo Glock +5 pads wouldn't fit until the checkering was filed off and the XD-Ms with the pretty anodized aluminum extended pads are VERY VERY close.

You are right about getting a gauge. Although I do measure with a ruler and it has not failed me yet, the measuring takes many checks and afterwards I am still not 100% sure.

At Area 2 last year I had my SNL on a non-modified STI 170 and a SNL +1 on an SPS, both passed without a problem. Of course I did measure them before the match. This year I swapped the STI for the newer style 170 SVI mags. I checked it the night before I left for Nationals it is was quite a bit over the limit. I took a lot of material off the feed lips and the base pad to make it fit on the ruler. Before I started shooting at Nationals I went to Chrono and checked my mag with their gauge because I was still not 100% sure (it was OK).

I'm thinking that I need to get me a gauge and stop worrying.

I'm thinking that I need to get me a gauge and stop worrying.

I have 6 SVI 140mm .40 mags with Grams 3mm base pads that I shot for about 6 years including the '04 Nats that I thought would fit the gauge. I had measured them with calipers, rulers and even drew the gauge on paper to make sure I was ok. One Saturday at a local match I noticed the gauge in ima45dv8's range bag. Out of curiosity I picked it up and tried to insert one of my mags. You can not imagine ima45dv8's delight when he noticed me trying desperatly to get about my 3rd mag to fit. I had 2 out of 6 that fit.

One Saturday at a local match I noticed the gauge in ima45dv8's range bag. Out of curiosity I picked it up and tried to insert one of my mags. You can not imagine ima45dv8's delight when he noticed me trying desperatly to get about my 3rd mag to fit. I had 2 out of 6 that fit.

:roflol:

And that's why I carry one in my bag. It's there for anyone to check their mags before going to Open unexpectedly.

That, and to see the looks on peoples faces when they find out measuring with a ruler is....risky

:surprise:

Can you make them fit by tuning them or do you have to buy new tubes? As for never droping them, I plan to gingerly remove each one and place it in my fleece lined pocket. ;) I will be a B class shooter but a D class reloader :cheers: Actually I was shooting a little for practice last night and I have to tell you....dropping a mag with rounds in it on the ground did hurt a little.... I kept looking at them when I would pick them up.

The mags grow over time, right? (seriously, don't the feed lips deform a bit?)

They may, but that was not my problem. The very back of the mag was too long. A few file strokes at the back/top and they fit just fine. Mine were not going in far enough for the lips (the part that could grow) to be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the regular Dawsons basepads. I just bought the basepad tape from Dawson that's numbered, to go on the bottom of my mags. It's a kind of sandpaper finish. I don't have a gauge and am now hesitant to put them on prior to Area 2 in a few weeks. Has anyone used these and measured their mags? It's a lot thinner that skateboard tape. Guess it's time to buy a gauge.

The simplest thing would be to go back to the 140mm limit like it's supposeds to be, the 1.26 was just to allow some wiggle room in the gauge, Then people started taking advantage of the wiggle room. If I was king of the world I would say mag limits are 140mm so if it was even close to not fitting you'd know it was over.

Unfortunately its not that easy. When the first mag measuring device was built at 140mm NO ONES mags fit in the thing. They gave the 1.25 'wiggle' room so existing mags and basepads fit. Its no longer 1.25 wiggle room. The limit is 141.25, period. Going 'back' to 140mm wouldn't solve anything but create new headaches for STI/SVI/Dawson/Bolen/Grams as they'd all have to re-design their products to fit in the gauge.

All the RO and CROs I've spoken with on this subject, say that the small tick of play in some basepads is fine. As long as they can set your mag in the device, place a small amount of pressure on the mag, and see the rear of the mag body touching the raised pads on the gauge, its OK. If its obvious that your mag is spring loaded and not just a tick of play, then its open class.

Edited by kalaur