Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Hi Power for USPSA

slee

I am helping my son's friend get started in USPSA. He has a Browning Hi Power in 9mm and I really don't know much about the pistol. I was hoping to get some recommendations for a holster, mag pouches, mags, and even springs. As it stands now, he only has 2 13 round magazines so I figured we'd better get him a few more and call it L10 minor. Unless, there is another option out there. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of holster options as well. He is also having a little difficulty racking the slide. Can this be helped with a lighter recoil spring?

Thank You in advance!

17 round mags are pretty widely available, so Limited minor is another option. I used a comp-tac holster and pouches when I shot my BHP in IDPA/USPSA. If he's not tied to the BHP, it may be better to trade it for an M&P or Glock and shoot production. If he gets serious about USPSA, he'll buy something else eventually anyway.

Does he have trouble racking the slide with the hammer back, or only with it down? If it's with the hammer down, most of the force is to overcome the BHP's rather heavy mainspring. Cocking the hammer first makes the slide much easier to rack. Does the gun have a magazine disconnect? Those are a annoying at unload and show clear.

17 round mags are pretty widely available, so Limited minor is another option. I used a comp-tac holster and pouches when I shot my BHP in IDPA/USPSA. If he's not tied to the BHP, it may be better to trade it for an M&P or Glock and shoot production. If he gets serious about USPSA, he'll buy something else eventually anyway.

Does he have trouble racking the slide with the hammer back, or only with it down? If it's with the hammer down, most of the force is to overcome the BHP's rather heavy mainspring. Cocking the hammer first makes the slide much easier to rack. Does the gun have a magazine disconnect? Those are a annoying at unload and show clear.

ooh good stuff! Can you tell me the Brand of 17 rounders to look for? I will check on the other things you mentioned.

Thank You!

The setup for a Hipower is a 28 lb mainspring (stock is bout 32) and a 18.5lb recoil spring, If your running light loads a 16 or 17 would be ok, I believe stock is 17.

Several kydex mags out there as well as leather. leather 1911 holsters will work. Id just mail order a COmptac though. for magazines the best options are factory, Mecgar, or south african KRD. The KRD's are good and come in 15 and 17. Stay away from the mecgar 10 rounders, they hold 10 but so tight you can only load with the slide open.

Hipowers are cool guns and have decent collector apeal, they really are no longer ideal for USPSA even though they are the gun that basically started it all and where the minor/major scoring formula originated. The founders balanced the 7+1 1911 45 that Americans had against the 13+1Hipower everyone else had. Worked for many years if you look at world match results. The guns kinda flip flopped. Once the High capacity major pf gun came out the Hipower was doomed.

Thank You for the info.! Yes, I would really like to get the kid out there with the bare necessaties to get him some range time. I know that this may cost his parents a little more in the future if he gets hooked!

My old BHP had magazine safety. Typically, this is removed. I shot a BHP in Limited 10 for a couple of years. It is a decent pistol.

Different springs will help. The 1911 Forum had a BHP section, not sure if they still do. There was a BHP forum Highpowertalk.com I think.

My second BHP was built by some guy at C&S named Ralph--oh yea he is a member of the pistolsmith guild.

Have fun with the gun.

The cool thing about a HiPower is that you should have no magazine issues if you buy good ones. I use to shoot a HiPower. I had tons of pre ban mags though. I made some basepads for them out of aluminum for the 14 rounders I had. It was a fun gun to shoot. Trigger was 4lbs, but I was used to it. I never had an accuracy issue with a HiPower. Slide bite though, that is a different story. That is what led me to Glocks, and CZs. I shoot mine now and again for non-USPSA matches.

JZ

... Slide bite though, that is a different story. ...

JZ

+1 on preventing slide (it's really the hammer I think) bite and fitting the BHP to the new shooter. I don't know if stock commander hammers have the recess under the spur that helps to prevent hammer bite, so it's worth a look to see.

If you can prevent a pinch and the inevitable bleeding, it would go a long way towards ensuring a positive experience with the gun for the youngster.

If you look back through time, In the beginning (of USPSA) there were Hi-Powers everywhere. Bill Wilson (yes that Wilson) tells the tale of getting hooked on the, then new, USPSA when he took his Hi-Power to his first matches, while he still ran the family jewelry business!! Here in the future, sadly, there are funny little rule (holes) that put you at a disadvantage. There are lots of parts for them to deal with minor tuning issues and mag holders are findable. There is a nice custom made Blade Tec holster, new in the plastic, at a Police uniform supply in Longmont Colorado called Kinsco. Due to confusing order circumstances, Greg the owner ended up with 3 when really he only wanted 2. I bet if you call him on the phone, it'd be in the mail in a heart beat. The other 2 belong to my wife and I and besides my 1911's, the Hi-Powers are great guns to shoot. The holster is USPSA legal by the way. Play with what you have till you find out if you have the bug. Those are wonderful pistols, yes they are! IMHOwink.gif

There is a nice custom made Blade Tec holster, new in the plastic, at a Police uniform supply in Longmont Colorado called Kinsco. Due to confusing order circumstances, Greg the owner ended up with 3 when really he only wanted 2. I bet if you call him on the phone, it'd be in the mail in a heart beat.

wink.gif

Great...I'll try to get in touch with him tomorrow. Thanks!

... Slide bite though, that is a different story. ...

JZ

+1 on preventing slide (it's really the hammer I think) bite and fitting the BHP to the new shooter. I don't know if stock commander hammers have the recess under the spur that helps to prevent hammer bite, so it's worth a look to see.

If you can prevent a pinch and the inevitable bleeding, it would go a long way towards ensuring a positive experience with the gun for the youngster.

Will definitely keep an eye out on that! Thank you.

Yeah, the KRD 17 is what I had also. It ran great. If he has hammer bite issues, somebody makes a plastic beavertail that's held on by the grip panels. I had no issues so I never got one. I can ask a local shooter where he got his if you need one.

Yeah, the KRD 17 is what I had also. It ran great. If he has hammer bite issues, somebody makes a plastic beavertail that's held on by the grip panels. I had no issues so I never got one. I can ask a local shooter where he got his if you need one.

I tried the KRD 17 round mags and couldn't get them to work;(

But, I've heard that some people have had great luck with them.

I've been using the MecGar 15 round mags - they work great in

my gun.

If the hammer is biting (mine tore my web off in a 2,000 round/

2 day course - bit thru the bandaids - I had the bottom part

of the hammer ground off - solved the problem.

Lot better if you remove the mag safety - that simplifies the

"unload and show clear" part of shooting and really lightened

my trigger pull.

Don't spend a lot of money fixing up the Hi=Power - if you've

progressed to the point where you want to spend money on your

IPSC gun - get a gun which will serve you more competitively.

The Hi-Power is a nice gun to start with, but you will not

be competitive if you get better - metal is too soft, too

few rounds in the mag, trigger pull is never as good, and

you're shooting minor:(

Good luck with the new shooter - we need more of them:)

Jack

Thanks. We've had one range session, supposed to go again tomorrow night. I'll keep a close eye to see if the hammer bite may become a problem.

Thank You for all the input everyone! Looks like we've got the boy set up. Ordered a few 17 rounders, mag pouches, and a holster. The difficulty racking the slide was definitely due to the mainspring and not the recoil spring, but with some practice and a little technique, he's worked through it. There is no mag safety on this pistol, so that's a plus. Hammer bite doesn't seem to be an issue, but I can definitely see how it can be...Handled the gun myself some and I've gotta say that it's a fun little shooter!