Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sourcing a .40 SS barrel

I have a SS gun now with a 10mm slide and need a .40 barrel for it. I have a limited gun with a barsto bull barrel and would like to use the same load. In that gun 5.2gr of Solo at 1.200” gets me 170PF, which seems a bit on the slow side. I am hoping to get a barrel for my SS that I can use my limited load in and have about the same PF. I figured I would just get another barsto barrel but their lead time is 12-14 weeks and single stack season is coming up fast. I can get a schuemann non-aet barrel, is that barrel going to be comparable speedwise to the barsto? Any other barrel MFG recommendations or anyone know where I might find a barsto?

Thanks.

I use Storm Lake and Nowlin barrels and good luck with both. Scheumann is my #1 choice but until they get machines running full tilt again - they are out of the picture.

As an FYI - a lot affects speed/chamber pressure. Chamber dimension, bore dimension etc. Should be close enough though.

Might consider STI. I've had good success with their .40 barrels.

Well, I might consider an STI barrel if it were similar in speed to barsto barrels. But they cost just as much as the highly regarded kart, barsto, and schuemann barrels. This barrel needs to have a Wilson/nowlin so that throws SVI barrels out of the equation also.

The barrel speed is an important thing, the reason I’m shooting a .40 in single stack is so I can use 1 load for limited and SS. Anyone know of a list that ranks barrel speeds? I suppose I could dial in the barrel speed by progressively cutting the throat deeper but I don’t have those tools and my gunsmith is too far away. I was hoping I could buy a barrel that was similar in speed and just take both barrels to my gunsmith and tell him to make the chamber/throat the same as my other one.

I cant imagine that you would be the same speed even with two identical barrels of the same mfr, chamber, throat. With only a 5pf cusion now, I would expect some variance even between 2 identical barrels and maybe adjust the load if needed. Even a 30fps avg difference is putting you close to minor.

If your Barsto is slow, then what ever you buy, may be a faster barrel will give you more cushion. I know in my guns, 5pf isnt enough cushion with Solo 1000's (reverse) temp sensitivity. Especially if the chrono man lets the ammo sit in the sun.

Maybe my expecations are low, and barrels do run close to the same speeds. Seems like one would be really lucky to find one that avg's under 30fps difference. I've even seen the same exact guns listed that need very different powder charges to make the same PF.

We have the BarSto ramped bull barrel in stock if that is what you are looking for.

Good to know, but I'm looking for a bushing barrel for single stack division. I'll keep you in mind though if I need another bull barrel.

Got the bushing barrel W/N ramp too, just not listed on the website. You have to call.

We have the BarSto ramped bull barrel in stock if that is what you are looking for.

Good to know, but I'm looking for a bushing barrel for single stack division. I'll keep you in mind though if I need another bull barrel.

Got the bushing barrel W/N ramp too, just not listed on the website. You have to call.

Thanks Bob, I called a few minutes ago and ordered the barrel.

Sounds like your problem is solved. There are too many variables to have a chart of speeds. Barrel makers use their tooling until it drifts. So if you get a barrel with new tooling you get one set of parameters, older tooling completely different parameters. I wouldn't over think it. You will generally be able to build a load that bridges the gap. I have one load that makes major in 4 guns. About a 75fps spread. Send the gun off, get the barrel fit tight and have fun

Yeah, problem is solved. You're right about variations among barrels from the same manufacturers, but there are trends. I have several lone wolf .40 barrels for my glocks and they all chrono very similarly. There will be less risk (although not zero) in choosing a barrel from the same manufacturer. Not to mention barsto barrels are very good anyway so it would have been a good choice even if I didn't need it to share a load with my limited gun.