Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you pronounce "D-V-C"?

I am not a Latin scholar, nor have I ever studied Latin, so I am technically talking out of my ass. However, I thought that the letter "C" was always pronounced hard, like in "cap" and "car". Also, is the letter "V" pronounced like a "W"?

Diligentia: [dilli-'ghen-tsee-uh]

Vis: [Wees]

Celeritas: [Kel-lerit-ahss]

I really hate pronouncing things incorrectly. Maybe an old Catholic priest will chime in for this one?

Anyone know the answer to this one?

I am not a Latin scholar, nor have I ever studied Latin, so I am technically talking out of my ass. However, I thought that the letter "C" was always pronounced hard, like in "cap" and "car". Also, is the letter "V" pronounced like a "W"?

I really hate pronouncing things incorrectly. Maybe an old Catholic priest will chime in for this one?

Ce can also be soft -- like cerveza, if you know how to correctly pronounce that....

We're Americans... We speak "English"! And we all know American English contradicts every grammatical and pronunciation rule in the book! Our language just doesn't make sense... and is the hardest language in the world to learn!

Why? 'Cus we have bigger nukes!

Therefore.... WE can pronounce it any way we want...

Besides... every Latin person I know, speaks SPANISH. How do IPSC shooters from Spain pronounce it? Wait... They don't consider themselves of Latin decent...

I'm confused...

Jeff

Ce can also be soft -- like cerveza, if you know how to correctly pronounce that....

That is what I thought, but then I started doing some reading and found something that said, in the Latin language, the "C" is nearly always hard. :wacko:

One of the founders told me it was....

Dil-uh-gen-tee-ahs

Vees

Kuh-larh-eh-tahs

Maybe he was wrong, but I accept it as is.

Regardless of specific intonations or inflections, I'm just happy to meet people who know the intent of that set of letters.

DVC!

When I took Latin I was told that there are two main schools of thought on hard 'c' and soft 'c'. Personally I think it was hard 'c' but given the huge geographical area that was speaking Latin I bet the pronunciation differed wildly. Just like when I hear a fellow from north part of England. Same language, technically but very different. My Mexican friends who speak Spanish say the same thing about people from Spain.

Hi, Chad. You are pronouncing it correctly, with tee-ah as the the end of Diligentia, as noted above.

The Latin alphabet contains no j, k, or w. Ergo/Therefore, c's are/ pronounced hard like k's, same with v's pronounced as w's. The same cannot be said for "j". Some words with I's, especially with I as the first letter, have been translated to j's. A great example of this is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where he must cross the letter stones, and his dad yells, "Jehovah starts with an I!"

Thanks for letting me share. It will be nice to tell my high school Latin teacher, Ms. Clark, I get to use Latin in one of my fave things in life! She taught all 4 levels, and the first writings we learned in Latin were the Lord's Prayer and the US Pledge of Allegiance. The other cool part of class were the required films each year, and sophomore year was my fave movie, "Ben-Hur" with Charlton Heston:-)

DVC,

Elizabeth

Beech H.S. Latin I-IV