Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with my Glock mags - 10 rd 9mm for G17/34

hiker88

I'm running 10 rd mags for my G34. I have two mags with the base pad pop out when I slam it in the pistol on a reload. The mags are fully loaded every time. For the two mags, I am able to put the them back together after this happened.

Does anybody know of a fix for this?

thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

I am running the factory floor plates and they are put together correctly. I have disassembled the mags and cleaned once or twice before. The two mags have held a full load of ten roads in the past. I have tried loading them after the malfunction up to 10 rds and both seem "okay". I've developed the habit of slamming the mags in hard to sit them properly.

Do you think I need new baseplates? The mag bodies look perfect.

That sounds like a wierd problem. I have never had that happen in 1000's of reloads with Glock mags (knock on wood). If it were me the mags in question would be only used for dryfire paractice from this day forth. Glock mags are not expensive so just get new ones. Good luck

I've never heard of this happening. I also don't know why you would slam them in really hard, but that's neither here nor there.

I do know that when I try to take the basepads off it's a royal PITA, so if they're coming off accidentally for you it must be that they were put back together incorrectly, or maybe they were damaged when you initially disassembled them or something.

In any case, I would either buy new ones, or show the mags that are malfunctioning to a Glock expert in your area.

I am running the factory floor plates and they are put together correctly. I have disassembled the mags and cleaned once or twice before. The two mags have held a full load of ten roads in the past. I have tried loading them after the malfunction up to 10 rds and both seem "okay". I've developed the habit of slamming the mags in hard to sit them properly.

Do you think I need new baseplates? The mag bodies look perfect.

And they are factory mags with factory plates or are they aftermarket mags with factory plates? Did not see you comment on the mag bodies themselves. Do they fall off if you drop them to the ground from the gun fully loaded?

I have heard of some Korean aftermarket high caps breaking apart when you drop a full 17 round mag.

I'd say buy new mags just to be safe.

they are stock Glock mags (KCI does note make 10rd G17/34 mags) and don't have any problems dropping out when the mag release is pressed. I'm going to give the mags a closer look when when I get home tonight.

At any rate, I'm ordering spare Glock baseplates just in case (thank goodness they are cheap).

I'll be checking Glock users at local matches to see what I'm doing wrong as well. Calling Glock will by my last recourse (or maybe not... tempted to use epoxy to keep the baseplate from coming off permanently :rolleyes: )

Thanks folks!!!

Those mags are so ridiculously hard to take apart I don't see how they fell apart on you. I cut the side retainer tabs off of my competition mags and have never had one come apart. I do NOT use the 10 rounders though.

Those mags are so ridiculously hard to take apart I don't see how they fell apart on you. I cut the side retainer tabs off of my competition mags and have never had one come apart. I do NOT use the 10 rounders though.

I did the same to all of mine and have never had one come apart.

Jus' spekulatin', but

IF the tabs on the mag body are really worn, and IF the corresponding notches on the base pad are torn up and IF the raised button on the retaining base plate is badly gouged and the retained hole in the pad is elongated, both from vigorous prying with a punch, and IF you have skateboard tape on the bases that give you extra traction when you slam the reload and IF you actually drive in the mag with the heel of your hand at an angle which puts traction on the pad towards the foward lip, you just might pull that sucker right off, if you're slammin them as hard as you are describing.

Double check your assembly and the condition of the mag parts.

If they're cool, then I second new base pads and/or completely new mags.

I used to order parts for Glock mags......

Then I just started ordering replacement mags every season or two. I think I last ordered some prior to the 2006 Nats -- those 12 10 rounders are still going strong. They've never been apart in that time....

Different age magazines have different floorplates. I have some old magazines that the newer floor plates will fall off. Or maybe it's the other way around. :wacko:

Where did you get the mags and could you have mixed up the floor plates while cleaning them?

I'm running 10 rd mags for my G34. I have two mags with the base pad pop out when I slam it in the pistol on a reload. The mags are fully loaded every time. For the two mags, I am able to put the them back together after this happened.

Does anybody know of a fix for this?

thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

Are you running a magwell? If so, some magwells contact the mag's baseplate and I guess slamming the mag home hard enough could cause the base to pop off.

Both mags I bought used over a year ago but after visual inspection they appear to be in "excellent" condition. Getting the 8th to the 10th round is still very tough and I have to use the glock mag loader to get those in.

No magwell on the pistol as I'm shooting production. I believe the easiest (and cheapest) "fix" will be to buy new floorplates.

Ordered some already and will see how it goes.

I think I also need to go over my habit of slamming the mags hard. Maybe a "gentler" touch is all I need to seat them properly.

Thanks!

I think I also need to go over my habit of slamming the mags hard. Maybe a "gentler" touch is all I need to seat them properly.

Well, with 10 rounders, you might still have to slam them in.

I found the 10 round mags too tight when fully loaded. Had to press harder to seat a loaded mag when the slide was forward. Sold all my 10's to shooters in ban states & bought all new mags.