Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Sight

Lanzo

I'm having an Open Gun built this year and am debating on what sight to run with. My friend (and the gunsmith building the gun) was reluctant to the idea of me using any sight other than the ever prominent C-More. "Why do you think the C-More is the number one sight in USPA/IPSC?"

My argument would be that is has become the standard. It's the one everyone uses. What I mean is by being so dominant in the market there really is no desire to experiment. People just go with the C-More because that's the one everyone uses so obviously it's the best. There has to be options out there? Abbate runs a Leupold Delta Point now. I know she sponsored by them and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but what really makes the C-More better than any other?

Has anyone ever experimented with other fast red dot optics and what do you think? I find the delta point kind of interesting...it seems like it could have a larger field of view than the C-More. Just looking for options...and opinions.

--Lanzo

E.T.A. -- I've run the C-More before and don't really have any complaints, but since this is the first gun i've ever been able to build from the ground up, i'm open to new ideas.

Edited by Lanzo

I have played with a delta that was mounted on the slide and another that was on a mount. I liked the delta point a lot and would consider it a viable alternative. I myself only have a cmore mounted but I would be open to a new sight if I ever go with another build. I would probably also like the aim point micro if it came with a 6 or 8 minute dot.

Brian

My current 9mm open gun has a Cmore STS on an RHT mount and works well. The backup gun has run a Jpoint slide mount for over 10 years with no problems. Actually the Jpoint has lasted far longer than I would have expected. I do like the on/off switch and battery tray on the STS over the Jpoint cover and having to remove it to change the battery. The Cmore is the standard, but I am starting to see more options at local matches. If I change the Jpoint, will look closely at the Cmore RTS on a frame mount. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current crop of quality red dot sights.

I'm still running an OKO on one of my open guns. It has a bigger window, and is brighter than the Cmore I have on my other open gun.

I've looked through various Fastfires, Jpoints, ect, but, for me, I think the window is way too small.

The top Open shooter's* shoot with a C-more because they ...see more. Not because they are playing follow the leader. (In my opinion/experience)

* Except those sponsored by another company.

It is not perfect, by any means. For one, the body is too long...putting it over the ejection port. People tend to over-tighten the screws...cracking the plastic body. Some struggle with getting them to hold zero (keeping the locking screws locked). And, it is a bit tall.

Even with those draw backs, it is the best thing going because you can see more with it...which is the whole point. And, this is especially important on a pistol that we are floating freely at arms length...unlike a long-arm, which we can get a cheek-weld with.

I really wish the Deltapoint came with bigger glass. I had high hopes for it. It still might find it's way onto a back burner project of mine (Open Glock), but only because I believe the Open Glocks don't run well with a blocked ejection port.

The fact that you can buy and easily install different dot size modules appeals to a lot of folks. Other sights cannot be changed easily or at all leaving the owner with an expensive decision to make if a change is wanted.

Pat

I tried the holosight/EOTECH: big, heavy, large bore offset, but good optics and visibility. Still use on shotgun and a carbine.

OKO: Really liked it and felt that it was overall brighter and better than the C-more except for durability. Broke numerous and then decided that it was simply not worth it. Customer service was non-existant and mounts were rare.

Trijicon Reflex: (original model) kinda heavy and had issues with direction of lighting. If the target area was illuminated more than the light sensor (you were in shade) the dot bleached out. No ability to change dot size, brightness or shape, expensive. They provided a polarizer to solve the dot bleaching and it worked but practically became an OEG.

Various small sights: small glass with small dim dots that were difficult to adjust and had varying degrees of durability. Some required proprietary mounting machine work to make durable.

Aimpoint Micro: Small FOV, expensive, limited dot size/brightness. Incredible battery life and durable.

C-more: Once mounted properly it holds zero and lasts practically forever. If you overtighten the windage lock screw, you will kill it but otherwise is adjustable and light, strong and works all the time if you keep batteries in it. If you break the body (usually by overtightening) they will replace it for a reasonable fee. Plentiful mounts and accessories. What I currently have used for a long time.

Referencing what some people said here . . . I always like the fixed mount red dots more than the slide mounted. 100% no doubt, fixed frame mounting is a MUCH better solution in my opinion. Here's why, the micro red dots add to slide weight - deterring reliability (especially with the stock recoil spring) and adding to muzzle rise. Also, the dot vibrates less during the firing cycle with a fixed mount in my experience. Thus, it is easier to track throughout the firing cycle. Obviously, viewing area also tends to be larger with commonly fixed mounted red dots.

Getting directly back to the subject. C-More is the standard, not the gold standard. The technology is readily available to make a much better competition handgun red dot. The stupid engineers just haven't decided to do it yet.

To clarify my previous post, I am not a C-more fan boy, far from it. I did not care for c-more and believed that there were plenty of better options, but they never delivered on their advantages. The final straw was when when my scope broke during a match and I shared my shooting partner's gun for the rest of the match. I did not particularly like the C-more, but my scores were better with it. Our guns were identical except that he had a c-more and I had the EOTECH. I converted to a C-more before the next match and have never gone back. It is also hard to beat the c-more cost wise.

Something else to consider .... if you plan on shooting one of the more accuracy intensive games like Bianchi, you might want to consider something other than C-More because the C-More optical sight has some parallax error.

• 3 weeks later...

Something else to consider .... if you plan on shooting one of the more accuracy intensive games like Bianchi, you might want to consider something other than C-More because the C-More optical sight has some parallax error.

I found that most if not all of the parallax issues of the C-More can be almost completely eliminated with a Chelly or Quinn 90 degree mount. The dot tends to be very accurate everywhere except when it is right on the edge of the window, at least out to 25 yards or so.

From another thread here - the choice is easy. Old C More feels like 1980...still has its benefits, but...

"I have a Delta Point on my Open S/V pistol and love it. Have tried or looked thru most of them on the market and this is my opinion the best all around sight. Mine is mouted directly to the back of the milled down slide which puts the bottom of the lens even with the slide. The dot is so close to the slide it is basically like looking down the slide on a limited pistol. I have the diamond dot and would have perfered the round dot but was not available when I got mine. Very easy to pick up on Steel or Run and gun stages but for a very accurate shot say a head shot at 10 to 15 yds. I have it zeroed on the Point. Very easy to zero (6 rds of Major 9) and it has stayed there for over a year. Very solid made and it is the smallest of them all and has a very nice window and diamond is clean as you will find anywhere. In my opinion for the money this is the best out there today. /Gunsteel"

OpenMax-1.JPG

OpenMax-2.JPG

OpenMax-3.JPG

Edited by 3-Gun Sweden