Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best compensator for S&W 41 Open Rimfire

Nemesis Lead

Initially, I did not think to get a compensator for my S&W model 41 that I am having built for Steel Challenge.

But it looks as though some fairly smart and competitive folks on this board use a compensator--so I have decided to give it a try.

My question is.....which compensator? Does a particular manufacturer stand out for .22 LR compensators?

FYI, my pistol is a S&W Model 41 with a Clark Custom STC 5.5 inch barrel (threaded in 1/2 X 28).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Nemesis Lead

Sorry I don't know to much about the S&W 41. I have built some for our Buck Marks that work great.

I'm sure someone here can help you out. I think I did see one that had the comp built into the barrel and slide, or something like that.

If I see it, I will post a link to it.

Edited by Bansheex

Sorry I don't know to much about the S&W 41. I have built some for our Buck Marks that work great.

I'm sure someone here can help you out. I think I did see one that had the comp built into the barrel and slide, or something like that.

If I see it, I will post a link to it.

If you plan on shooting standard velocity ammo then a comp is almost useless as there is very little excess gas to make it work. You need to be using high velocity or higher ammo to make a comp work in .22LR. According to some top shooters a comp and CCI Stingers is the flatest shooting rimfire you can setup. But some ranges don't allow Stingers due to velocity restrictions. Comps will work with CCI-MiniMag and CCI Velocitors. Lighter bullets may also help although I shoot 40g ones exclusively through my open class Buckmark.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this post as I have the same question and am hoping that there have been some developments in the last three years. I'm taking the slimmer profile S&W 7" barrel and cutting it down to 4.5 or 5" and turned for a compensator. So far the Tandemkross is a strong contender but, I'm hoping someone has feedback on the Volquartsen LLV/Scorpion comp as it will match the barrel profile better.

TIA

• 5 months later...

The best comp I tested back in 2011 on RFC was the Allchin with 2 giant ports on top only. A rimfire comp's only purpose it to keep the red dot in the window. Does nothing for recoil. Almost any comp you try will work fine but you need to use high velocity ammo to get some gas for the comp to work. Something like CCI-MiniMags works well.

The best comp I tested back in 2011 on RFC was the Allchin with 2 giant ports on top only. A rimfire comp's only purpose it to keep the red dot in the window. Does nothing for recoil. Almost any comp you try will work fine but you need to use high velocity ammo to get some gas for the comp to work. Something like CCI-MiniMags works well.

Another vote for John Allchin's comp. It definitely helps keep the dot in the window on my 22/45 Lite. AND the shot is much louder so the timer's more likely to catch all the shots. AND it looks very cool.

• 2 weeks later...