Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammunition for IPSC World Shoot XVI

Hi all,

Geco will be providing the Official Match Ammunition to be used in the World Shoot and for those of youu who are going to Rhodes you know doubt will be wondering about the performance of this ammunition. I have tested several calibres and types of this IPSC Approved ammunition. The velocity was checked with a CED M2 Chronograph and the accuracy was tested with a Ransom Rest and by bench resting. If you are planning to use this ammunition, this article will show you the accuracy potential and IPSC power factor of the Official Match Ammunition being supplied for the World Shoot. The link on my web site is

http://www.practicalhandgun.com/ammunition/95-geco-pistol-ammunition-for-ipsc-world-shoot.html

For those of you who have not visited my site before you need to register. This is a simple process of giving you a user name and password. I only use your e mail address to send you a message when new information is added to the site.

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

Why not copy the article in here?

It is very long with a lot of images.

Geco have contacted me this morning and informed me that they are working at full speed to produce a .40 S&W round with a longer overall length with C.I.P. approval, for Standard Division competitors to use at World Shoot XVI. When I get more information on this I will add it to the article on my web site and post this information here as well.

MFS is now owned by Geco - RUAG, but it will be Geco ammunition that will be used at World Shoot XVI.

Regards, David.

Edited by David Thompson

At the request of USA Team Infinity Shooter Lee Neel, I measured the case head diameter of the Geco IPSC Approved .38 Super major power factor ammunition.

Lee wanted to know this information so he could determine that this ammunition would properly function through his SVI.

I just measured the case head diameter of 10 cases.

The smallest diameter was 10.18mm and the largest diameter was 10.23mm.

The average diameter of the 10 cases measured was 10.215mm.

I will also add this information to the Geco World Shoot Ammunition article on my web site.

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

The following has appeared on the World Shoot web site and will be of interest to those who are competing in Standard Division with 2011 pistols.

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

40 S&W (long version) ammunition is available, with the following data:

Overall length: 1,176 to 1,180 ( 29.87 to 29.97 mm )

Case: Fiocchi

Primer: Fiocchi

Bullet: 180 grains, Round Nose Flat Point, match grade.

Powder: Vihtavuori 3N37

PF: Major.

Price will be announced soon.

• 2 weeks later...

When using 3N37 powder with a 180 Fiocchi FMJ bullet Vihtavuori give the following data on their web site.

With a COL of 28.6mm ( to C.I.P. specification ) out of a 5.5 inch barrel they list

Starting load 5.4 grains for 948 feet per second ( fps ).

Maximum load 6.1 grains for 1049 fps.

The World Shoot Official Match Ammunition ( OMA ) will have a COL of 29.87 to 29.97 mm, which will lower the velocity figures.

For those of you who want to try and duplicate the OMA to practice with and check your point of aim – point of impact, this will give you a starting point.

Check out

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/25

Before you start assembling ammunition.

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone know of whether there will be ammunition available at the match if you didn't preorder any ammo? I'm trying to slide into a recently vacated slot and I can't determine how to get enough ammo there for the competition, I would need about 600 .45 ACP. I've contacted the match info email but haven't received a reply yet.

Thanks,

Matt

Would anyone know of whether there will be ammunition available at the match if you didn't preorder any ammo? I'm trying to slide into a recently vacated slot and I can't determine how to get enough ammo there for the competition, I would need about 600 .45 ACP. I've contacted the match info email but haven't received a reply yet.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt

A word to the wise: You are unlikely to get through the entire match with only 600 rounds available. Based on experience, I recommend having 800-1000 available.

Good luck ...

The following has appeared on the World Shoot web site and will be of interest to those who are competing in Standard Division with 2011 pistols.

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

3N37 for Standard? mmmmmmmmm

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com

3N37 for Standard? mmmmmmmmm

Remember they need a load that both makes 170+ PF in most 5" guns and also won't blow up any random .40 it gets loaded into.

The ammo is going to be loaded somewhere in Europe, more than likely by a few guys and a Dillon, so powder-wise there's not a whole lot of options, with VV likely one of the best.

Using anything but factory book loads would be insane even in a low-liability location, so for VV that leaves N340, 3N37 and N350 as the options. Why 3N37 of those three I couldn't guess.

Remember they need a load that both makes 170+ PF in most 5" guns and also won't blow up any random .40 it gets loaded into.

The ammo is going to be loaded somewhere in Europe, more than likely by a few guys and a Dillon, so powder-wise there's not a whole lot of options, with VV likely one of the best.

Using anything but factory book loads would be insane even in a low-liability location, so that leaves N340, 3N37 and N350 as the options. Why 3N37 of those three I couldn't guess.

I've used 3N37 for years ... I've always found it to be exceptionally consistent regardless of atmospheric conditions. I've also never had a problem making power in either my 38 Super or my 40 while using it.

As to using "book" load data for liability ... They might be able to sidestep the issue if they have access to proper testing equipment and can pressure test their custom loads.

Just my experience with the powder ...

• 3 weeks later...

40 S&W (loaded long version) ammunition, is available, with the following data:

Overall length: 1,176 to 1,180

Price: 24 euro per 50 rounds

You can view this information at

http://www.wsh2011.org/match-ammunition.html

Regards, David.

www.practicalhandgun.com