Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splits and Transistions

Steve Anderson

I was inspired by Eric W's post on transtions to conduct a test.

I know what I can do a Bill Drill in, and I know what an el prez can be, but I wondered what a draw and shoot 3 targets would be without the turn and reload.

So I set up three targets at 21 feet, about a foot apart and shot them from the draw.

I was surprised to get a total time of 1.39 to draw and shoot all A's on three targets at 21 feet.

After replaying the dot's motion in my head a few times and thinking about the run, I have reached a possible conclusion.

I think driving a gun to the next target is (or can be) faster than waiting for it to return to the same target. One we should have little control over, the other we are controlling (during recoil of course)

That 1.39 is better than I've ever done a bill drill...One of the transitions was a .13, faster than I ever split.

here's the vid: transitions

Anybody else notice this?

SA

video was incorrect for about 5 minutes, it's fixed now. :)

Anersonshooting.com ... interesting?

The best transitions I've ever had on an elpres have been in the .24 range with my open gun, while I can blast .17 splits all day. I geuss we need some work. Man I can't wait to get the open pig back.

You have got to be f-ing kidding me, Steve. That was what I call real damn fast. :D

- Gabe

PS: Interesting phenomenon with the faster-than-bill-drill result...a little bit of a 'trick of the day' effect? Concentration on the transitions causing/allowing you to shoot faster splits?

Did you shoot any bill's that day just to see what was up?

30pts in 1.39?!!

What does that break down to?

Draw: 0.83

Split: .10

Transition: .13

Split: .11

Transition: .12

Split: .10

=Total: 1.39 sec

Dang man, I must have blinked...Do that again :wacko:

Thanks for the vids Steve. I really enjoy them.

After allowing the vid to run to finish I always cursor it back, basically playing it in reverse, extreme slow motion. When I do this it is amazing to me how little movement (body) you have on the draw. Very efficient.

Holy sh....! it's supposed to be over by the time my average first shot falls... Should I quit this sport now and save the money---no way I just spent more and am glad a got a copy of the book... GM here I come... :D

Steve,

Field course drills? That section is not in my new book. :blink:

Do I just send another $25 for the field course training manual now? I am running live fire based on your book tomarrow afternoon, a field course addition would be great. I have pleanty of steel poppers I can work with.

Suggestions? :P

PS. All these clips, still have not seen your mug. How will I identify you at the Buckeye? Look for the guy with all the new cash hanging out of his pockets? :lol:

steve:

Are you saying it's as fast or faster to transition to another target as it is to shoot a split? Nah, can't be. Or are you saying it's as fast to drive the pistol to the next target as it is to let the dot stabilize on the same target?

Are you saying it's as fast or faster to transition to another target as it is to shoot a split? Nah, can't be. Or are you saying it's as fast to drive the pistol to the next target as it is to let the dot stabilize on the same target?

It can be faster to drive the gun to a new target than to let the gun recover on the same target.

It's just a new angle of looking at transitions...

Pretty cool stuff.

Cam,

Cash? Not me, I'm the guy with the bills due. :)

I have been running stages in live fire, really focusing on movement. I do have some ideas for more material...soon. :)

Thanks,

SA

Shooting with the recoil helps.

With one side of our Friday nite fun shoots often some kind of speed shoot, I found out that for stronghand-only or weakhand-only, my splits were MUCH faster on one-shot-per-target than on 2-shots-per-target.

Coming back to the same spot takes time. Even shooting freestyle.

Steve,

How did it feel after that run? Well, yeah, it feels good to have a run like that (...crap, feels really great if that was me!), but, I was wondering if that sequence was the start of a field course. Do you think you'd shoot it that way and still maintaine the pace through out?

Thanks.

McOliver,

If that array was at the start of a filed course in a match, the draw would be in the .80-.90 range and the shooting would be what I saw. Might be as fast, might not.

That one went well because of the overwhelming desire to shoot 2 A's on every target - as quickly as I could, NOT of the desire to shoot two on three in 1.39 seconds.

So, in a match I would have the same desire, and would shoot on the dot's command. :)

How did it feel? I thought the timer was broken til I looked at the shots. :)

As far as the rest of the pace, I want to emphasize that shooting accurately at high speed is not a choice, it is a result. If the arrays were similar to that one, I would shoot them similarly.

And, if that array started a field course, I'd likely be moving by the second target and that would change things too.

I really believe that any conscious control of speed is harmful, with the exception of pushing the hand to the gun on the draw. (It's easy to get lazy there, when fatigue sets in)

Thanks,

SA

Well, yeah, it feels good to have a run like that

Hell yeah! I get all excited just watching Steve shoot a run like that. Oh baby! It's almost obscene...almost.

It does make sense that they can be faster than splits...at least now it does.
It can be faster to drive the gun to a new target than to let the gun recover on the same target.

Please to be explaining more this concept kind sir. :)

- Gabe

Flex and I had a long conversation about this, and his post in the original thread is excellently detailed, but here's how I see it:

When we properly shoot 2 on 1, we do not muscle the gun back down from recoil, rather we let it come down (mostly) on its own, according to our grip and (hopefully) lack of tension.

When we DRIVE the gun to a new target (after precisely calling the last shot) we are more in control of when it is ready to shoot the new target, as we are the force that put it there.

I'll edit in Flex's take.

I will tell you that I saw a sight picture on every shot and had no doubt there would be A's on those targets. A close C would not have surprised me, but a D or Mike would have.

Does that help?

SA

BTW, I suspect that first target being lower than the others may have contributed to the accuracy of the array, and may have prevented any "riding" of the dot all the way across. (chasing the tail)