Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rio Salado Multi-Gun Team Challenge

The August 13th multi-gun match at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club will be the inaugural Rio Salado Multi-Gun Team Challenge. Our regular IMA-SMM3G rules & scoring will apply.

Teams will comprise 3 persons. Each team may have only one Open Division shooter – the other two members must shoot Tactical Scope, Tactical Limited, Heavy Metal Scope and/or Heavy Metal Limited Division equipment. Teams may be formed ahead of time, or scratch teams can be formed on the day. If you don't have a team, we can put you in one when you register; everyone will get to shoot. If a shooter quits or DQs, the rest of the team may attempt to complete the stage and match as best they can – no alternates/substitutes after starting the first stage. Entry fee will be $30 per team (i.e. $10 per shooter), with re-entries for $15 per team after completing the match once as time allows.

Stages will be 1 x Long Range Rifle, 1 x Shotgun/Pistol, 1 x Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol, 1 x Shotgun. For safety reasons, all shooting positions will be static. Shoot each stage as a team at the same time (either simultaneously or “relay-race” style, per written stage briefing). Time to complete the stage will be the team’s time; one score sheet per team.

There will be multiple ways to approach each stage – team strategy and communication on the clock will be important ! You will not want to miss this one :D

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Having shot the two team matches in Topton, Pa. I can say it's a really interesting and fun format. Best of luck with it out in Arizona!

Jesse, look at the thread on the Topton team match. There should be some videos linked there. Also search it on Youtube.

Glad to see this is catching on, this is a great format for 3 gun, no question. Wish this was closer, I know myself and Rob would go and try to drag Jeff along with us.

Just curious. I plan on attending however I don't have a pistol ready. With a team of 3 is each person dedicated to a certain weapon, or will we each be shooting all 3 weapon types?

Also do you have the round counts posted anywhere?

Just curious. I plan on attending however I don't have a pistol ready. With a team of 3 is each person dedicated to a certain weapon, or will we each be shooting all 3 weapon types?

I'm sure they are going to work that detail out prior to the match, or after it for the next one.

Last year, at Topton, there were no requirements for which gun. A lot of teams switched off for the fun factor, my team didn't. There were 7 stages that year, with on that was rifle only. I fired every round of shotgun. This year, there were 3 of the 6 stages that required the shooters to shoot each gun between the 3 stages. The RO recorded what gun was used by each shooter on the team. I don't really think it made much or any difference to the finish of the higher placing teams.

I still loved the match, and the team competition. :cheers:

Only two of the stages will feature pistol targets. In both case, only one team member will need a pistol. If you make sure at least one of your teammates has a pistol, you should be good to go.

We are still working on the stage designs, and I will post the round count before the match. For instant updates, including round counts, folks can follow us on Twitter.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Only two of the stages will feature pistol targets. In both case, only one team member will need a pistol. If you make sure at least one of your teammates has a pistol, you should be good to go.

We are still working on the stage designs, and I will post the round count before the match. For instant updates, including round counts, folks can follow us on Twitter.

Perfect, thanks for the info!

Edited by suesstech

• 2 weeks later...

The way I am reading this is you don't have to have an open shooter on your team but if you do you can't have more then one? For example: A 3 person team all shooting Tac Limited would be acceptable. Yes, No???

Looking forward to this one :cheers:

The way I am reading this is you don't have to have an open shooter on your team but if you do you can't have more then one? For example: A 3 person team all shooting Tac Limited would be acceptable. Yes, No???

Your reading comprehension is first class - you must be English ! :roflol:

You are correct. A team is not REQUIRED to have an Open shooter. They MAY have one (1) Open shooter. They MAY NOT have more than one Open shooter. Your hypothetical team of three Tac Limited shooters would be perfectly OK.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...

Stealthy Blagga,

Is new shooter registration at 7am or before that?

Thanks,

Ryan

Match registration opens at 7am. When you sign in, tell them you a re a new shooter and need to take the New Shooter Orientation. The orientation itself usually starts around 7:30am and takes about 15 minutes.

Two last questions...I swear! :rolleyes:

1. I have a .45 pistol to use, is a .45 ok for the targets used in this match?

2. When is the round count usually posted?

Your .45 is fine, bring 25-40 rounds. I don't usually see a round count posted. In general plan on taking 100+ rifle rounds, 45-75 birdshot, 4-10 slugs or buckshot. It all depends on how many times you miss and how many times you want to run all the stages. Plan to have fun, its a blast.

1. Yes, a .45 pistol will work just fine, and is legal for all divisions.

2. The minimum team round count will be 45 pistol, 93 shotgun birdshot, 1 shotgun slug and 78 rifle... a total of 217 rounds per team. This is based on some assumptions I have made about balance between shotgun and pistol on one of the stages, so the actual ratio of those rounds could change depending on team tactics. It also assumes no misses :roflol:

1. Yes, a .45 pistol will work just fine, and is legal for all divisions.

2. The minimum team round count will be 45 pistol, 93 shotgun birdshot, 1 shotgun slug and 78 rifle... a total of 217 rounds per team. This is based on some assumptions I have made about balance between shotgun and pistol on one of the stages, so the actual ratio of those rounds could change depending on team tactics. It also assumes no misses :roflol:

My team plans to fire at least 500 rounds!