Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which barrel to choose?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, time to change the 16" M4 heavy profile barrel. Should I stay with the heavy profile 16", go to an 18"? How about chrome lined? Fluted? Does the 18" barrel balance okay? Now, what maker?

You don't want chrome lined for the game as they are not as accurate. I like a 18 inch barrel with a medium contour like Jesse with a rifle length gas system.

Pat

I guess I'd say that unless you have a reason to go short, a 20" turned to about 0.625 before & after the gas block. You give up velocity every inch and I just don't see the 2" difference but that is just me.

I guess I'd say that unless you have a reason to go short, a 20" turned to about 0.625 before & after the gas block. You give up velocity every inch and I just don't see the 2" difference but that is just me.

My 20 inch Larue Stealth and my 18 inch Noveske have the same velocity averages with the same loads. There is more of a difference in barrels for speed than in 2 inches in my experience. The 18 inch seems to be a good compromise in velocity and balance. Some people are even moving to 16's. Velocity is not as critical now that heavy bullets (77, 68's) are avaliable and power factor is easy to make.

Pat

I am looking forward to trying one of those new JP 18" light contour barrels as well.

You will get your chance very soon. Mine should be ready to go in 3-4 weeks.

I thought you ordered the medium contour?

I ordered the new lightweight 18" JP.

Here are the weights from JP's email response.

16-inch: 28.6 ounces

18-inch light: 31 ounces

18-inch mid: 36 ounces

20-inch: 41.1 ounces

32 Oz with gas block on an 18" is nice. Do those weights include the GB?

Edited by cold

You gotta link to those?

As far as I know, this is the only 18" SS barrel with GB that is 32 Oz or under. I was asking you if the JP 18" was with or without the GB.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-18lw-556&cat=147&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Edited by cold

You gotta link to those?

As far as I know, this is the only 18" SS barrel with GB that is 32 Oz or under. I was asking you if the JP 18" was with or without the GB.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-18lw-556&cat=147&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Those weights are the numbers JP sent me. I can only assume that they are not including the gas block in those numbers because they have 2-3 different gas block configurations for those 4 barrels.

I'm intrigued by that Noveske barrel you posted. Why doesn't it use a rifle length gas system? Is that gas block an adjustable type?

You gotta link to those?

Those weights are the numbers JP sent me. I can only assume that they are not including the gas block in those numbers because they have 2-3 different gas block configurations for those 4 barrels.

I'm intrigued by that Noveske barrel you posted. Why doesn't it use a rifle length gas system? Is that gas block an adjustable type?

the gas system on the Noveske barrel above falls between mid length and rifle length. They say it is due to the recoil pulse it seems like an interesting theory. I have a buddy that just bought one, I am very curious to shoot the gun after it is built. The standard gas block is not adjustable.

Edited by bpipe95

I've been running a 20" stainless barrel most of this year. It's a lot heavier than what most people run. The barrel weighs 51 ounces by itself.

My new rifle has a 20 inch 410 stainless barrel and at first I thought I made a mistake going as heavy as I did. The more I shoot it the more I like it.

It's the BCM SAM-R barrel.

I have two of Noveske's 18" barrels. One SPR profile, the other the lightweight profile.

The lightweight is definitely easier to swing around. Recoil impulse is also no different to a 20" with full length gas system from what I can perceive.

The reason for the "intermediate" gas system is to keep the same length of of barrel forward of the gas port as found on the rifle gas system in order to maintain the same dwell time.

Noveske says they do this to maintain reliability....

Mick

I have two of Noveske's 18" barrels. One SPR profile, the other the lightweight profile.

The lightweight is definitely easier to swing around. Recoil impulse is also no different to a 20" with full length gas system from what I can perceive.

The reason for the "intermediate" gas system is to keep the same length of of barrel forward of the gas port as found on the rifle gas system in order to maintain the same dwell time.

Mick

hmmmmm, i have heard the term dwell time used frequently to confuse idiots like me. where can i read more about this dwelling?

Mick

hmmmmm, i have heard the term dwell time used frequently to confuse idiots like me. where can i read more about this dwelling?

Jesse- it's pretty simple. Dwell time is the amount of time you spend in your house within a 24 hour period.

Confused yet???? :roflol: