Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Varget eating my comp?

JDBrum

I would like to start off by saying I'm relatively new to rifle reloading and have started reloading because of 3 Gun and rifle matches.

The problem I'm having is my reloads are eating my comp. I have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ rounds through one of my rifles with a Sure Fire comp on it and it is noticeably damaged. I have just recently purchased a new upper with an SJC comp on it and shot about 200 rounds through it and it too is showing signs of slight damage.

This reload is for my close up targets, I'm not really interested in trying to shoot sub MOA's with this load. I'm using assorted brass, Winchester 55gn FMJ BT, Federal rifle primers and 25.0gn of Varget powder. My overall length is 2.235 my crimp is at .245. I have not crono'ed these rounds... I know, I know... I should and need to.

Is my primer hot enough for this powder?? It's almost like some of the powder is burning while it's hitting the comp... Does that make any sense?? I have some other shooting buddies using this same basic load with CCI primers. Would that be the solution??

See attached picture..

post-22768-0-59787500-1310002674_thumb.j

Edited by JDBrum

I am assuming you have a relativley short barrel as well. Varget is pretty slow, especially with 55s. It can eat comps, more so than some other types of powder, with lighter bullets in shorter barrels.

This is on a 16 inch 1-9. My new rifle is an 18 in 1-7. Click on the picture it should blow it up really big. It's not carbon build up..

That is what I figured. You should be using a faster powder like 2230 or Xterm with those 55s in a short barrel. Varget tends to do best in longer barrels and or with heavier bullets. A lot of guys running 18s use it for their 69s and up, but not a good choice for 55s.

This is on a 16 inch 1-9. My new rifle is an 18 in 1-7. Click on the picture it should blow it up really big. It's not carbon build up..

That is what I figured. You should be using a faster powder like 2230 or Xterm with those 55s in a short barrel. Varget tends to do best in longer barrels and or with heavier bullets. A lot of guys running 18s use it for their 69s and up, but not a good choice for 55s.

The more we talk about it the more it makes sense.. I have a pound of 2230 that I was going to try.. Does the primer play much of a factor? Or should I stick with Federal??

The more we talk about it the more it makes sense.. I have a pound of 2230 that I was going to try.. Does the primer play much of a factor? Or should I stick with Federal??

The varget is harder to get a good throw with the measure too. I only use it for my over 300 yards loads with 69- 77 gr bullets

I like BLC2 with my 55 gr bullets

I would not use Federal primers out of prejudice. I don't want the softer primer to shave and make my firring pin hole jambed up with brass shavings.

I like the CCI 556 primers best, But that is superstition too

Are you sure its not just carbon build up?

+1.

I have 2 rifles with brakes on them and they look like that until they are cleaned.

You need to blow up the picture... It's not build up... You can clearly see damage. Click on it and move the picture around and you will see what I'm taliking about.

You are right, it is not carbon.

Like Jamie, I love the CCI 41 primers. They get me an additional 50 fps on the same powder charge. Federal primers are softer, more prone to shaving, blowing out and doubling, so I won't use them.

• 2 months later...

In my bolt action 223 I use H335 with both 50 and 55gn bullets. I have gotten slightly better results with Benchmark and RL 10X at 100 yards but not much better. I can't see spending more money to shoot groundhogs out to 200 yards. Ya gotta draw the line somewhere....