Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer slipped DQ.

enutees

Had my first AD and DQ yesterday. First stage of the day. Went to drop the hammer on my Shadow and it slipped. It felt really slick when the hammer slipped from my thumb. I've tried decocking with the two finger method as well and may reevaluate that but I've seen someone DQ with that as well. I think it had a little oil on it but I also didn't have the proper focus on it when I was doing it. I was listening to a bunch of people talk instead of paying attention. Luckily it was pointed where it was supposed to be and no chance of any damage. I've been shooting Cz's exclusively for 6 years now whether competition or not so I've done it thousands of times.

Just a reminder for all of us that have to manually drop the hammer to be extra vigilant. I really never thought I would do it and I'm sure some of you will feel the same after reading this but it might save one of you the embarrassment and lost day.

I had the same thing happen to me one time before.. exactly how you described. not paying attention. good thing it was a practice day for me. i pulled the trigger WITHOUT the thumb on the hammer.. that loud unexpected BANG scared the sh*t out of me :surprise: lesson learned.

edit: tipos

Edited by Torogi

Try a different method. I use the index-finger-in-front-of-hammer, or side-pinch, method. In short, I insert my support-hand's index-finger between the hammer and the firing pin and place my thumb behind the hammer. Then, as I drop the hammer, I slowly roll the index-finger out by pinching the top of the hammer. This way, irrespective of how slick my finger/thumb/hammer is, I'm pretty safe.

Before I bought my first Shadow last August, I had read a few finger-slip AD stories, and then came across the "side-pinch" method. Try it.

I had time happen to me one time before.. exactly how you described. not paying attention. good thing it was a practice day for me. i pulled the trigger WITHOUT the thumb on the hammer.. that loud unexpected BANG scared the sh*t out of me :surprise: lesson learned.

Edited by justaute

I used the side pinch as well, seems rather flawless. take your time and let it ALL the way down.

btw, sorry again that it happened. ammo problems cost me the win so i guess Mike owes you and me a thanks. :roflol:

my friend during his pre-flight routine now wipes the hammer with his fingers, wipes them on his pants, then lowers the hammer.

also, i pull the hammer back before pulling the trigger. that way the hammer doesn't try to jump out when the pressure comes on after the sear lifts.

also, i pull the hammer back before pulling the trigger. that way the hammer doesn't try to jump out when the pressure comes on after the sear lifts.

I recommend this as well. It think it's pretty hard to get an AD if you support the whole tension of the hammer before you pull the trigger. No surprises. I use the support-hand-thumb-and-index-finger approach.

Fortunately, I was able to shot a match last night to get me back in the grove. Six stages and no problems and I beat a personal best on one stage we shoot most weeks so I'm happy.

In addition to slippery I just need to put my focus on the hammer alone when I am doing it and not be thinking about the stage or anything else for that moment.

I can do this on a revolver all day long and it does not bother me. It scares the heck out of me on a semi auto. It is the one thing holding me from trying a CZ but I am about over that. I am sure once I do it, it will be fine.

I recommend this as well. It think it's pretty hard to get an AD if you support the whole tension of the hammer before you pull the trigger. No surprises. I use the support-hand-thumb-and-index-finger approach.

Ditto on that. I use the pinch method all the time but just this weekend worked on pulling the hammer back before pulling the trigger. MUCH better. Thanks 'squirrels!

Sorry I wasn't there to see it.

How did you do in the match leading up to that point? :devil:

It's ok, you are still my hero. With a CZ anyway.

Can't believe this is the first crap I've gotten from you.

Hey Enutees!

Shift happens. You are not the only one; I had a DQ once as well, one and only so far; finger was 'observed to be inside trigger guard' while I was dealing with a mulfunction. Even thou I shouted I was done right before then, to stop the timer (there was ONE last target left only at the stage that I didn't shoot); there was no point to loose that much time to clear mulfunction to get another 10 points; I'd rather not shoot the target at all. It was a 'short' stage. RO shouted back to continue and to shoot it. So I was clearing double-feed, and he shouted 'STOP'. Ya know the rest.

MD didn't come thru either; didn't even wanna listen to me. Shift happens. I don't think I was treated right, but.. what else could I do right there and then, at the match? There was no video recording, it was my word against RO's word...

Also, it was my first stage at the match, so... I couldn't continue on. Imagine how I felt.

BTW... I wish I could have the same food you guys have in LA (not CommunistForniA!!!) :D... I once ate half of what they had on the menu at Blue Dog ... LOL.. couldn't get back in the car or to sit down for 30 mins after... I still wish I could do it again!!!!!!

Edited by CeeZer

Hey Enutees!

Shift happens. You are not the only one; I had a DQ once as well, one and only so far; finger was 'observed to be inside trigger guard' while I was dealing with a mulfunction. Even thou I shouted I was done right before then, to stop the timer (there was ONE last target left only at the stage that I didn't shoot); there was no point to loose that much time to clear mulfunction to get another 10 points; I'd rather not shoot the target at all. It was a 'short' stage. RO shouted back to continue and to shoot it. So I was clearing double-feed, and he shouted 'STOP'. Ya know the rest.

MD didn't come thru either; didn't even wanna listen to me. Shift happens. I don't think I was treated right, but.. what else could I do right there and then, at the match? There was no video recording, it was my word against RO's word...

Also, it was my first stage at the match, so... I couldn't continue on. Imagine how I felt.

BTW... I wish I could have the same food you guys have in LA (not CommunistForniA!!!) :D... I once ate half of what they had on the menu at Blue Dog ... LOL.. couldn't get back in the car or to sit down for 30 mins after... I still wish I could do it again!!!!!!

That sucks. Hopefully it wasn't a big match for you.

Blue Dog is good but there are plenty better. We aren't a healthy bunch but we are well fed down here.

Edited by enutees

Care to share what the good places are? :D

Local BBQ/Cajun places don't even know what Sweet Tea is, they looked at me as if I were talking Japanese with Greek accent... LOL...

It happened to me once in practice.

I use the index finger and thumb pinch method and 'always' exagerate the slow and careful pinch, pull trigger and lowering of the hammer..

I do it as if I were showing someone else 'how' to do it. May look a little over-done, but it works for me.

I use the pinch method. I've tried and tried in practice to get it wrong...to see how bad I have to screw up to make it go bang. It was harder than I thought it'd be.

I've done the same, and the slide gave my knuckle a good whack in the process. Be careful when you're trying to be negligent on purpose ;)