Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 spl 148gr HBWC

Beladran

It could be tough running speedloaders with wadcutters. Regardless, I'd recommend using solid wadcutters instead of hollowbase. The skirts on hollowbase wadcutters can separate if you push them too hard, potentially leaving you with a bore restriction, something you do not need whilst speed shooting. Hollowbase wadcutters really shine at bullseye shooting.

Whose minor power factor? I use 148 Remington HBWC with a Fed 100 and 2.8 gr solo 1000. 730 fps, 108 PF, 6" model 14 and ridiculously good accuracy. Seated flush with a roll crimp they really don't load too bad with speedloaders (not like RN's though) if the chambers are chamfered. I'm not sure how fast you can run them before the heads start to separate. 158 RN's reload better: http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=76&category=5&secondary=9&keywords= 3.5 Solo 1000, 127 PF, 791 fps 6" model 14. 112 PF 706 fps, 2 1/2" model 66.

Edited by Tom E

anyone got some good data using HBWC that will make minor pf?

Seat them in upside down - so they look like a whopper sized hollow-point and the bases won't get blown off. 3.4 to 3.5 grains of Winchester WST should get them about the 850 fps mark.

Accuracy should be OK out to 20 yards.

YMMV

Edited by Service Desk

Seat them in upside down - so they look like a whopper sized hollow-point and the bases won't get blown off. 3.4 to 3.5 grains of Winchester WST should get them about the 850 fps mark.

YMMV

accuracy sucks when loaded this way. i have evidence of them tumbling within as little as 7 yards.

YMMV

accuracy sucks when loaded this way. i have evidence of them tumbling within as little as 7 yards.

You may have overloaded them. When you seat them "upside down" you have very little effective case volume.

You might try WW 231 powder. I have never pushed a HBWC that fast, usually going for accuracy over speed. I will have to check my notes to see what velocity I was getting with mine. Bullet instability and leading will be your problems. If you were running a good cast wadcutter you should be able to make the power factor easily.

I would like to shoot this at 130pf but i dont know if the skirt will start blowing apart.. i know most hb bullets are ment to be slow bullseye rounds. just wondering what their limit would be

1 7/8 barrel?? lol how accurate is that load?

Honestly I have no clue. But just a guess, more accurate than I am with the short sight radius and the very heavy tigger. When I made them I was more interested in a softer recoil load. So that I could get some trigger time and not hurt my hand.