Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W USPSA Load

Hello all,

I'm about to start shooting USPSA competitions at my local club. I'll be using my S&W M&P 40c. I know the compact isn't the ideal competition gun, but that's what I've got! I'm considering getting into reloading so I don't go broke buying ammo. My dad has been reloading for years and has agreed to walk me through it the first few batches. What I'd like to hear from the forum is what recipe to use. I'm shooting Production, so I only need to make Minor power. I do need to be careful not to cut it too close since I'm shooting the short barrel. Any advice on powders and bullets will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone and have a great 4th!

SOFT, NICE RE-LOAD

This is a load I like a lot, MINOR use at indoor range. Before the Forum Critiques bury my azzz in criticism load some and try them.

Rainier or Bullet Works Plated 165 gr RNFP.

Range Brass.

WST - 4.7 gr.

Chrono in CED M-2 846, 822, 829, 827, 832 Pistol 2011 - 5"

Average Power Factor about 137.

If your gonna re-load get a $125 Chrono, work up your own loads, be careful, be safe, and don't do dumb SHEIT>

Wear Safety Glasses and check everything.

Perry

Thanks guys! Jman, I appreciate all the links! I didn't take the time to even see if I could search the forum! To answer your question, I haven't decided on a manual yet. I bought the small one that covers the 10mm/40 S&W, but I haven't gotten a big one yet. I'm leaning toward the Speer manual since it includes a lot of different components beyond their own bullets. I'm open to suggestions though!

Jman is right on the money with the links.....But bass smass, a 30 lb gag grouper hit first thing in the morning gets the blood pumping.

Grouper snooper! A 30# Dolphin going ballistic and putting on a aerobatic demonstration un-rivaled by the Blue Angels on the end of your line, now that gets the blood pumping!

:cheers:

Oh and to keep it on topic, I like WST or VV N-320 both for .40 I use WST for minor to heavy minor and N-320 for Major.

:cheers:

A 60# Cobia does it for me.

Yeah, those things are beasts! Always beat the hell out of it before putting it in the boat....

Thread drift...When I was young, I went fishing with my Dad (well, more than once!), and we caught 2 cobia...Put them on a stringer trailing behind the boat as we were trolling...Look back, we now have 3 cobia behind the boat...Another one had schooled up to the 2 we had caught and was just swimming along with them.... quick with the gaff, we now truly had 3....minus a cooler, one rod, and crap slung all over the boat....One was 64#....Too bad they are scarce now (this was 30 years ago!)...

Drift off....

A 60# Cobia does it for me.

Yeah, those things are beasts! Always beat the hell out of it before putting it in the boat....

Thread drift...When I was young, I went fishing with my Dad (well, more than once!), and we caught 2 cobia...Put them on a stringer trailing behind the boat as we were trolling...Look back, we now have 3 cobia behind the boat...Another one had schooled up to the 2 we had caught and was just swimming along with them.... quick with the gaff, we now truly had 3....minus a cooler, one rod, and crap slung all over the boat....One was 64#....Too bad they are scarce now (this was 30 years ago!)...

Drift off....

HAHA..

I saw 2 guys in a 22' center console gaff a 60lb er that was swimming around their boat. Within a few seconds they were both standing on top of the console watching that Cobia TRASH their boat.

:roflol:

I use 4.0 grains of Titegroup with a Zero 165 bullet. OAL is 1.135. Makes around 135PF out of a M&P40 Pro.

One thing to consider shooting minor out of your gun is the recoil spring. The stock compact springs are stiff and might not eject the spent cases. My wife shoots a 9 Pro and carries a 9c. My minor loads won't reliable eject from the 9c with the stock spring. I know you have a 40, so it may not be an issue for you. Springs are easy to change though. You might want to try a lighter spring anyway to help with recoil anyway.

Well, before I get back on topic, I'll just add that I prefer to chase trout with bits of fur and feather!

Now, back to the actual thread! Hitman, I'm only using it because that's all I have, but I appreciate the compliment!

Twodelta, I appreciate the advice. I had wondered about the ability of the light loads to cycle the gun. I don't really want to mess with my gun too much since I use it as my primary carry gun. I am considering buying a full size gun for competition down the road, but for now, I've got to stick with what I've got!

I know I'll have to test various loads to make sure it functions, but should I start with a slightly hotter load?