Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting while moving

Practice in a hallway at home. Focus on a single point and change up the length of your steps.

As JT suggested heel to toe is the "instructed" method. Get your platform and practice. What works for you may not work for most.

I'm 6'5" and realized that if I a chop my steps up into lots of short steps, then my front sight didn't move a tick. The speed with which I move seemed to not matter as much as the physical distance between steps.

Try varying your cadence and distance to see what works.

Edited by OUshooter

Just walk around aiming at various "things" and holding the sights on target.

Oh, and you have to make "pow, pow, pow" sounds under your breath, it's mandetory if you want to fully develop the skill.

Just walk around aiming at various "things" and holding the sights on target.

Oh, and you have to make "pow, pow, pow" sounds under your breath, it's mandetory if you want to fully develop the skill.

I just work the trigger slack while acquiring post-it targets on the walls around me. My wife made me stop the "pow-pow" sounds right after I started practicing at home ;)

Have a look at this video, in particular, the smooth "rolling" gate. This keeps the torso level and keeps the gun from bouncing. Get an inexpensive laser pointer and attach it to your gun with rubber bands or something. Try and move from position to postion while keeping that dot as steady as you can.

Here is how I learned to "move" while shooting. Believe it or not it was marching band. In it they teach you move your lower body while keeping your upper body stiff. If possible, I suggest that you go to the local high school band director and ask if they will teach you how to march. Just a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was taught to shoot on the move by taking a water bottle, and pouring out enough water to get to the wide part of the bottle.

Then, hold it out in front of you with both hands (bottle upright with both thumbs upright on the back of bottle) and then start walking. The ususal, get low, short steady steps. But, don't let the water slosh around. Keep it level. It sounds easy, but it does take a little practice.

It will really let you see what your sights would be doing. This was for pistol training but will help for rifle and shotgun also.