Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble loading BBI

caz41

I have had no problems loading in the past with MG and Sierra bullets. I picked up BBI 180gr and have been having some trouble. First off the brass is Winchester and Federal once fired, and some Starline. I am using Dillon dies and have seating and crimp set up in different stations. Everything is going as normal until I seat the bullet. Here are some pictures to better illustrate what is happening. 1st pic is of the brass prior to going into the press. 3.bmp

Once I seat the bullet I am getting a bulge about 1/3 of the way down the casing which appears to be where the base of the bullet would be. 2nd pic is what it looks like after seating the bullet.1.bmp

3rd pic is after cirmping.2.bmp

I mic'd the case and the spot where it is bulging is about .008 bigger.

Did you measure the diameter of the bullets? It's possible that they are a little on the large size.

Do they case gauge, or, drop free in your barrel? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Running a U-die on my 550 and loading BBI 180's for practice/local matches. My rounds look pretty much the same also. Never had a problem. What is the OAL? Had a tuned Edge that wouldnt feed ammo at 1.20 at all but would eat all kinds of factory stuff and ammo loaded no longer than 1.180.

Have you tried to barrell gauge any of the ammo? I had issues with the ogive being a problems and the only way to get the ammo to gauge properaly was to load it really short. 1.125 or so. Could't load it out to 1.190 - 1.200 as with other bullets. That was my experience with BBI 180's.

The only solution was to have the chamber reamed out. Look up Paul Grundhauser he has done a number of barrels and he is local.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I had lots of failure to chamber with dillon seating dies, I have no idea why and was using a Lee FCD at station four, tried all kinds of adjustments and still had the same problems, switched back to my old rusty lee seater and the problem went away.

A case bulge isn't unusual, the photos are so small its hard to tell how bad it is, a case gauge would help you there, but most people just take their barrel out and use that.

I've never had any chambering problems using Dillon dies, I'm using Dillon dies on my M&P 40 and the pistol functions 100%.

Running a U-die on my 550 and loading BBI 180's for practice/local matches. My rounds look pretty much the same also. Never had a problem. What is the OAL? Had a tuned Edge that wouldnt feed ammo at 1.20 at all but would eat all kinds of factory stuff and ammo loaded no longer than 1.180.

A case bulge isn't unusual, the photos are so small its hard to tell how bad it is, a case gauge would help you there, but most people just take their barrel out and use that.

I've never had any chambering problems using Dillon dies, I'm using Dillon dies on my M&P 40 and the pistol functions 100%.

I have a case gauge and check them for gun that I will be using them for with that barrel. Like I said they chamber fine in one gun but not another.

Caz sounds like your Limited gun has a small gullet, aka not deep throated. The OGive of the bullet is different than the MTG or Zero and you might just be hitting the Rifling. Shorten it down a bit and retry.

Redding GRX eliminates all the issues with fatboy brass.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 2 weeks later...

I have had no problems loading in the past with MG and Sierra bullets. I picked up BBI 180gr and have been having some trouble. First off the brass is Winchester and Federal once fired, and some Starline. I am using Dillon dies and have seating and crimp set up in different stations. Everything is going as normal until I seat the bullet. Here are some pictures to better illustrate what is happening. 1st pic is of the brass prior to going into the press. 3.bmp

Once I seat the bullet I am getting a bulge about 1/3 of the way down the casing which appears to be where the base of the bullet would be. 2nd pic is what it looks like after seating the bullet.1.bmp

3rd pic is after cirmping.2.bmp

I mic'd the case and the spot where it is bulging is about .008 bigger.

Try not belling it so much, this was the suggestion from Dillon when I had some bulging issues. The problem went away immediately. Call Dillon they are great at troubleshooting and there open on Saturday if needed.