Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

idpa ssp division gun

Chuck D

The gun you shoot the most that's legal in the division.  It sounds smart-ass ---- but it's true.  The guys that win the local matches regularly all shoot the same gun every match.  For one guy that might be a Beretta, for another a Glock 19.  Right out of the box I'm awfully partial to a Glock 34, it comes with a good trigger (O.K. Chriss, a good trigger for a glock) extended slide stop and mag release, and a long sight radius.  Its doublestack mags slide home easily and its light weight makes it point and transition very easily for me.

Nik,

That good glock trigger doesn't even come close! I used to shoot a 24 in open. This LDA is the shit. Helps that it is also my carry off duty. I just came up with a wimp load in .40 for IDPA and production. It is a 135 PF. The old one was my limited load at 174 PF. Shoots better than any 9. I'm waiting on the results from Sat. to see how it went. It is same POA POI as my 155 fed. HS.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been very impressed with the Steyr M-series. Okay, the sights suck, but that's easily rectified. In .40 with full-power ammo the gun barely moves when you fire it, thanks to an extremely low bore axis and a wonderfully hand filling grip - much better than the rectangular, slab-sided Glock handle. I need to get one of these things in 9mm to write up for an article. I'll bet in Nine this would be about like firing a .22 target pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the hottest set up is the Beretta Elite II , partially because thats what i shoot, but there are quite a few beretta shooters around here, and it seems as team beretta does very well in the SSP standings at the IDPA sanctioned events. another part of my reasoning is that with the right grip the beretta has zero muzzle flip, that doesn't give it much of an advantage over a para LDA but it does over most of its competition.

After reading the replies to my question......I purchased a S&W 4006TSW in 40 caliber. Gun fits my hands very well, has good sights,trigger reset is VERY quick and I think the 4 inch barrel/slide combination allows a quick draw from a concealed position. It handles great and with Nosler's 135grain JHP bullet at say 1000 fps it should be soft enough to shoot rather quickly. It's off to the S&W Performance Center for a dehorn job, trigger job and a polish/blueprinting of the internal components and THEN it's off to the match.

the 40 cal will definitley have a LOT of recoil. however the 9mm with a brigadier slide is just so easy to shoot there are pictures of rob haught, and ernst langdon from team beretta with the gun IN action sights pointed at the target.

i don't have a standard beretta yet, but hope to acquire one soon

The 4006 I bought will be a "dual purpose" gun. I plan on using it in IDPA and in IPSC's Production Division. A downloaded 40 may recoil a little bit more than say a 9x19 in a Beretta but I feel the larger diameter bullet will be better on steel and I feel the difference between a 135g 40 caliber bullet at 1000 fps in a 40 and the same set-up in 9x19 will be minute. The Beretta is a GOOD gun but I'm not crazy about the aluminum frame. I wanted an all steel gun.

Chuck, the berretta frame is steel.  I don't care for the triggers on berreta's they don't rest as fast as a tuned smith and out of the box their horrible.  I checked out Ernest Langdon's gun at the 2000 Lim Nationals and if I could get the trigger on my Berreta like his I might consider shooting it more often.

(Edited by John Thompson at 12:09 am on Aug. 21, 2001)

sorry, but beretta's frame is an alloy frame.

John, an answer to your prayers. http://www.langdontactical.com he is in business for him self now, and does a SUPERB trigger job! complete with light double action pull, ( very smooth) a trigger weight to your liking, mine is about 4# since i carry it sometimes too, also the only over travel stop i have seen that won't damage the frame. he has lots of other part too, just email him, great guy to do business with!

• 2 years later...

I shoot a Glock 23 (.40 S&W) loaded to a PF of 165.

I´m into IDPA to get "real life practical experience" and not to win trophies and a Glock 23 is what I carry. I am not against winning a trophy but my goal is to shoot the gun I carry the best I can. Then again, since IDPA is a category competition I just might win a trophy as a novice using my Glock 23 instead of winning a trophy as a Marksman using a Glock 17. It´s a choice.