Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 1 2012 * temp. closed, until match details are finalized *

I'll have an official announcement in a few days. Just want to lock in the dates. As far as being in the middle of nowhere, it's less than two hours from Vegas. We've held the match in a lot of locations around Area 1. Very few of them anything I would call close for the Area members who live in Utah and southern Nevada. Missoula, Puyallup, Marysville,, Portland, Albany etc. We've been spoiled in the NW never having to drive too far for an Area match. Figure it's time to give the folks down south the opportunity.

We've been spoiled in the NW never having to drive too far for an Area match. Figure it's time to give the folks down south the opportunity.

I'm all for moving the Area 1 match around yearly, it helps to prevent burnout while keeping things fresh and interesting. Closer to an airport would be nice, but not essential.

It'll be interesting to see if the Southern Utah Pistol & Revolver club has enough manpower to produce a match on the scale of an area championship. A quick perusal of their results from this year isn't confidence inspiring.

January 15th - 5 stages, 23 shooters

February 5th - 5 stages, 24 shooters

March 5th - 5 stages 20 shooters

March 19th - 5 stages, 14 shooters

April 2nd - 5 stages, 18 shooters

April 16th - 5 stages, 16 shooters

I'm in, wherever the match is. Cant wait for next years match. Had fun at this last Area 1, looking forward to shooting in a different state. The closest Area matches to me are a 5-6 hour flight away so it dont matter to me what state its in. B)

Idaho Falls last year schooled me in driving to remote locations in the middle of the desert regardless of how awesome Tim is. If I'm gonna fly, it may as well be to an Area match closer to civilazation with lot's of resources to pull from.

The Area 2 boys sure will be excited. They'll be getting two Area matches in their backyard. Phoenix, LA, SF and Denver (big Area 2 cities) are almost as close to St. George as Salt Lake City is. I'm all for going to Utah or Nevada, but why not a bigger venue like Vegas or Salt Lake. Like HuskySig stated, their club matches are pulling in about an average of 20 shooters per match (that's pretty crazy), and I wonder how many of those shooters live 7 miles south of the club in Arizona and would actually be considered Area 2 shooters. I'm sure the match will fill up, but I'd also be willing to bet there will probably be more Area 2 shooters then Area 1 shooters.

Edited by jrbet83

The Area 2 boys sure will be excited. They'll be getting two Area matches in their backyard. Phoenix, LA, SF and Denver (big Area 2 cities) are almost as close to St. George as Salt Lake City is. I'm all for going to Utah or Nevada, but why not a bigger venue like Vegas or Salt Lake. Like HuskySig stated, their club matches are pulling in about an average of 20 shooters per match (that's pretty crazy), and I wonder how many of those shooters live 7 miles south of the club in Arizona and would actually be considered Area 2 shooters. I'm sure the match will fill up, but I'd also be willing to bet there will probably be more Area 2 shooters then Area 1 shooters.

Because Las Vegas is hosting three Nationals this year and probably next, and they have for the previous couple years. Vegas has agreed to assist St. George with putting on the match, MGM Targets has agreed to help out and supply steel for any courses that need it. St. George is in an area with about 100K population, 90 minutes from Vegas. Salt Lake does not have a range capable of hosting the match. St. George has 20 bays we are are committed for, and 16 more we can use if we need. They recently underwent a major rennovation at the range where they had to basically turn all the bays 90 degrees. The County paid and would like to bring in some major shooting competitions to use the range.

As far as Area 1 shooters being squeezed out of their own match by Area 2, we'll have a generous registration period that is only open to Area 1 shooters. Haven't squared away exactly what that period will be but say from August 2011-December 2011 any Area 1 member is guaranteed entry. After that we open it to everyone. If you want in, sign up early.

Here's the other part of this. Albany was the only other venue that said they would do it, and that was only as a, if no other club volunteers, offer. While I wouldn't mind doing it in Albany I do want to get a match in the SE portion of the Area, where it hasn't been for a very long time. If you give St. George a chance and actually take a look at the venue, beyond just a critical look hoping it will fail, I think you will see it's a beautiful area and an excellent venue to hold the match. I spoke to the Chamber of Commerce for St. George this morning. They are excited to have USPSA coming. They pointed me to the website they normally refer people to, www.atozion.com

Beyond that, the dates listed above are not correct. I'll have a good match date and the ability to make a more coherent announcement in a couple days.

Beyond that, the dates listed above are not correct. I'll have a good match date and the ability to make a more coherent announcement in a couple days.

Chuck,

Let me (or a Moderator) know when you want this one opened back up.

(Closed by request...until the info firms up a bit.)

Just a quick note...

The thread wasn't locked to "mute" anybody (as has been alleged). wacko.gif

It was closed by request...because the Match info has not yet been finalized.

When the info is ready for distribution, the thread will be re-opened/re-started. No problem.

Kyle Farris

Forum Administrator